Is this White Oak ?

Timbuck

Reaction score
I'm making some soprano necks from reclaimed timber...Seeing as I'm a novice to wood working but with an engineering background..I haven't had a lot of experience in wood identification....But I do recognise silver grained oak when I see it co's I made a raffia top stool out of some when I was a schoolboy..The grain in this wood reminds me of it but it's much lighter in weight and colour...Can anyone confirm :)

It's pretty too!

I'm making some soprano necks from reclaimed timber...Seeing as I'm a novice to wood working but with an engineering background..I haven't had a lot of experience in wood identification....But I do recognise silver grained oak when I see it co's I made a raffia top stool out of some when I was a schoolboy..The grain in this wood reminds me of it but it's much lighter in weight and colour...Can anyone confirm :)

I also made the same stool as a schoolboy in the UK, must have been part of the curriculum! I think one of my brothers still has it somewhere. Couldn't fit it in my suitcase when I came to NZ. :)

I can see how it resembles white oak. It appears that it could be Sycamore if it's lighter in weight and redder in color. White oak tends to be a greenish shade of brown and quite heavy. When it's quarter sawn it shows the same type of flecks as you see in those 3 necks.

Top Bottom