PDA

View Full Version : Season 131 - Homecoming

RAB11
08-16-2014, 09:25 AM
http://youtu.be/mODykT3RUUg

I'M FROM WIGAN ME!

This week's theme is all about your hometown. Not necessarily the town you were born in, but a town you've lived in at some point in your life and feel an affinity for. I want you to play me a song from a band or artist from that town. The closer to your part of town the better (especially for those from big cities). Bonus points if the song is about the town itself.

If you're from the arse end of nowhere and there's no musicians from your town, guess what, there is a musician from your town, YOU! Write me a song, or play a song you've written while in that town.

Other things I would like to see:

I WANT TO LEARN SOMETHING THIS WEEK. At some point in your post or video, I want you to tell me about your town, and maybe a little about your time there and the link you have to the band.

I WANT YOU TO LEARN SOMETHING. Most weeks I try to tackle something that I've been putting off, and it's made me slightly better as a player. I want you to take that third position flat major 7th chord that's been getting the better of you and show it what's what! Nail that new strum pattern! Try some fingerpicking and maybe even a downstrum if you're feeling lucky!

MULTITRACKING: Allowed but discouraged. I'm a big fan of playing 'as live' but at the same time I'm amazed by the production values some of you guys bring.

VIDEOS MUST HAVE BEEN RECORDED THIS WEEK.

PRIZES

Louise and I are off to a car boot tomorrow (Americans, imagine everyone in your area is having a yard sale in the same field at the same time), and she's rather charitably allowed me a fiver to go off and find some ukulele-related tat, er, I mean rare Hawaiian trinket! The person who records the video I like the most this week for completely arbitrary reasons will win that prize. If I'm lucky there'll be two or three prizes so my choice won't be as hard.

TIMINGS
I think I got them the wrong way around in the video. Entries will commence at 0000 hours on Sunday, 17th August Hawaiian time, and cease at 2359 hours Sunday, 24th August Hawaiian. 8 days worth of lovely music, give or take the odd hour here or there.

You are allowed as many videos as you like from as many hometowns as you like, and I will view and comment on them all, but I won't have access to the YouTubes until the evenings.

PLAYLIST IS HERE! (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHZbn23U0fdISetke-U3dTC33E8TZeMHq)

The Ukelites
08-16-2014, 10:01 AM
"I'm from Wigan Me". Sorry to ask, but isn't that song from Chonkinfeckles?

RAB11
08-16-2014, 10:08 AM
"I'm from Wigan Me". Sorry to ask, but isn't that song from Chonkinfeckles?

It is, and I played a version of it in the video!

The Ukelites
08-16-2014, 10:13 AM
It is, and I played a version of it in the video!

Cool! We met these guys at the Prague Uke Fest and had a jam session on a boat. we had big fun altogether!

ddanner
08-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Cool theme! I like the fact that you've got me already thinking about the many different places we have lived over the years. I also like your comments about making it a learning experience, too. That won't be too hard for me! ;)

(Edit Add: Oh yeah! Have fun shopping for HI trinkets.)

Tootler
08-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Excellent theme. I have a bizillion ( © Anna Louise Walker) possibilities in mind but I doubt I shall get them done.

...maybe even a downstrum if you're feeling lucky!

hmm.... Could that be referring to anyone in particular?

I wonder.....

:anyone:

:music: <-- Downstrum here?

:biglaugh:

RAB11
08-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Excellent theme. I have a bizillion (c. Anna Louise Walker) possibilities in mind but I doubt I shall get them done.

I want to see at least half a gazillion then Geoff.

I wonder.....

I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're talking about ;)

RAB11
08-16-2014, 11:55 AM
On a side note, I'm really looking forward to being able to watch all the videos this week. Doesn't happen as much as it used to because Louise has stopped working evenings but I've booked the laptop and YouTube time this week so I'm all good.

I also forgot to mention I'll be giving me geographic life story as the week goes on. :D

GinnyT11
08-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Ryan, I applaud you for this clever theme. You've offered lots of options for songs, yet you've also asked that we tell you something about ourselves. We are metaphorically coming by your place to sing tunes for you, and you've asked us to stay long enough to tell about who we are. I love that!

PS--I lived in Seattle for a decade, and now I live in the home town of James Taylor and Ben Folds Five. I'd better find something, or I'm not trying.

BigDaddyUker
08-16-2014, 01:47 PM
If you're from the arse end of nowhere and there's no musicians from your town, guess what, there is a musician from your town, YOU! Write me a song, or play a song you've written while in that town.

YES...I am from the arse end of nowhere and damn proud of it...time to get creative!!!!

Great theme!!!!

Tootler
08-16-2014, 01:47 PM
I want to see at least half a gazillion then Geoff.

Trouble is it's Whitby Folk Week this week so that's half the week accounted for. I usually manage three days and I'm knackered after that. I've a couple of possibilities for tomorrow, though.

RAB11
08-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Trouble is it's Whitby Folk Week this week so that's half the week accounted for. I usually manage three days and I'm knackered after that. I've a couple of possibilities for tomorrow, though.

I went on holiday to Whitby once. My abiding memory of that trip was my brother fitting a Mars Bar in his mouth sideways. I was only young though.

myrnaukelele
08-16-2014, 02:26 PM
A most excellent theme! And I am a very lucky Seasonista - one of the greatest blues standards ever written is about my hometown. :cool:

CeeJay
08-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I went on holiday to Whitby once. My abiding memory of that trip was my brother fitting a Mars Bar in his mouth sideways. I was only young though.

Nothing wrong with fitting a Mars Bar in your mouth sideways......I used to do it in Mansfield ...and never stopped ...you know I don't think that are as big as they used to be........and don't even start me on Wagon Wheels ...they are deffo not the same size anymore... !!!!!

bird's eye view of my ukelele
08-16-2014, 02:59 PM
AWESOME THEME, and super intro vid, nice one RAB!

I wonder.....

no i don't think that was for anyone in particular, just some general encouragement for everyone :uhoh:

I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're talking about
see?!

BigDaddyUker
08-16-2014, 06:54 PM
and I'm knackered after that.

I don't know, but I think I'm KNACKERED after trying to figure out what all these words mean!

lelouden
08-16-2014, 07:11 PM
RAB, I can only find two songs that have the mention of my cities name in them. They are done by musicians not from my town. My town is a suburb of Phoenix and I have tons and tons of options for phoenix by way of musicians and songs. Im hoping thats ok with you:)

BTW very nice idea for this theme. Good thinking!!!

RAB11
08-16-2014, 07:37 PM
RAB, I can only find two songs that have the mention of my cities name in them. They are done by musicians not from my town. My town is a suburb of Phoenix and I have tons and tons of options for phoenix by way of musicians and songs. Im hoping thats ok with you:)

BTW very nice idea for this theme. Good thinking!!!

Linda they don't have to mention your town at all, that was just a bonus. And yeah, if you're from a part of Phoenix, bands from other parts of Phoenix are fine, again, having them come from the same bit of town was just an extra challenge.

Glad people are liking the theme, can't wait for the entries to start!

ohmless
08-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Already did my first one. just waiting for the starting bell.

TCK
08-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Uh Oh Markwo....
Out Come The Wolves.
Great theme Here

mythinformed
08-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Nice one Rab ...........'I Do Like to Be Beside the Seaside' it is then !! Lol

UkeyDave
08-16-2014, 09:10 PM
........and don't even start me on Wagon Wheels ...they are deffo not the same size anymore... !!!!!
In my day Wagon Wheels actually fit WAGONS. ;-)

barefootgypsy
08-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Your theme is inspired! And where I have spent most of my life, I've no excuses whatsoever, so I'll be along with at least one entry for sure! Excited now...... :D

Tootler
08-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Nothing wrong with fitting a Mars Bar in your mouth sideways......I used to do it in Mansfield ...and never stopped ...you know I don't think that are as big as they used to be........and don't even start me on Wagon Wheels ...they are deffo not the same size anymore... !!!!!

Confectioners trick. Shrink the bars but keep the price the same then introduce the "NEW BIGGER BAR" or "25% EXTRA FREE!" only it isn't 'cos they've put the price up. That way it looks like they're keeping prices down when they aren't.

AWESOME THEME, and super intro vid, nice one RAB!

no i don't think that was for anyone in particular, just some general encouragement for everyone :uhoh:

see?!

I sense someone's nose got a bit bigger when they wrote that :biglaugh:

I don't know, but I think I'm KNACKERED after trying to figure out what all these words mean!

I think you got it. A vulgar term for exhausted.

pabrizzer
08-17-2014, 01:05 AM
Spent most of the Seventies in Newcastle NSW.
Senior high school. First jobs. College. Marriage. 2 of my children were born there.
Silverchair are a band formed in Newcastle that has done quite well on the world stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpIiJRVD0C4

xommen
08-17-2014, 02:10 AM
This is a blend of some songs I did for season 35, which was Jon's Coffee, Tea And Honey week. I included an intro video to tell you something about the City I was born and still live in called Apeldoorn. This is called Tea an Coffee, and is, as you might have guessed, an original. I got the idea of strapping a camera to my bike from a video Lumpy did in some previous season.

http://youtu.be/9NVDeCK9DHA

RAB11
08-17-2014, 03:01 AM
Pabrizzer - Miss You Love. Wow. Excellent way to kick things off mate. Love the dynamics in this and your singing is excellent. Looking forward to more from you this week.

Xommen - Tea and Coffee Thanks for the intro video Wim, Apeldoorn sounds like my kinda place. Loved the pictures and that forest looks like a great place to have close by. Really enjoyed the song too.

UkeyDave
08-17-2014, 03:33 AM
I was born and raised in Leicester, England. In fact I was born less than 1 mile from where Richard III lay buried undiscovered for over 500 years (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/richard-iii-the-king-in-the-car-park) and I will attend his re-internment at Leicester Cathedral in March next year which will probably be the biggest ever event for my home City. The end of my video lists a few links with my hometown. My ancestors were born and raised in the same area from where the unfortunate Joseph Merrick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Merrick) was born. He was portrayed so well on the big screen by John Hurt in the film.
This entry will pay tribute to what is probably our most famous singer and I have an amusing anecdote about. My mum once answered a knock at our front door in the 1960's to be greeted by Engelbert Humperdinck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engelbert_Humperdinck_(singer)) (Gerry Dorsey). He had actually come to visit our next door neighbours who were out and left a message for my mum to pass on for them that he had called). I think my mum was dumbstruck and almost fainted with the shock. Engelbert was born in Madras India and moved to Leicester aged 10 with his parents. Whilst he does live in the USA, he returns home to Leicester quite frequently and I believe has a house here. I'm not a fan but enjoyed singing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIKJI4mWPcE

barefootgypsy
08-17-2014, 03:51 AM
I was born and raised in Leicester, England. In fact I was born less than 1 mile from where Richard III lay buried undiscovered for over 500 years (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/richard-iii-the-king-in-the-car-park) and I will attend his re-internment at Leicester Cathedral in March next year which will probably be the biggest ever event for my home City. The end of my video lists a few links with my hometown. My ancestors were born and raised in the same area from where the unfortunate Joseph Merrick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Merrick) was born. He was portrayed so well on the big screen by John Hurt in the film.
This entry will pay tribute to what is probably our most famous singer and I have an amusing anecdote about. My mum once answered a knock at our front door in the 1960's to be greeted by Engelbert Humperdinck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engelbert_Humperdinck_(singer)) (Gerry Dorsey). He had actually come to visit our next door neighbours who were out and left a message for my mum to pass on for them that he had called). I think my mum was dumbstruck and almost fainted with the shock. Engelbert was born in Madras India and moved to Leicester aged 10 with his parents. Whilst he does live in the USA, he returns home to Leicester quite frequently and I believe has a house here. I'm not a fan but enjoyed singing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIKJI4mWPcE
That was great Dave! Lovely song, and I do love that strum - I'll nail it if it kills me! Engelbert - we were in Kuala Lumpur on holiday a few years back and we were looking round the market - turned round and there was Engelbert right behind us! My old man had to say "Hi" didn't he....

Dougf
08-17-2014, 05:04 AM
Robin Williams and I both lived in the San Francisco Bay Area in 80s. I actually met him once at the Great American Music Hall in SF, but thatís another story. Anyway, this is the song that he sang as the Genie in Disneyís Aladdin, and I think itís a great song for a remembrance of him. His gift truly was magic, and I think that even those of use who didnít know him personally felt like he was our friend, or at least he was a guy we could easily imagine as a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26hOv_RpDP8

ohmless
08-17-2014, 05:09 AM
I grew up in the country that became burbs outside of Flint, Michigan so that is my local identity. Flint is the site of the 1936-37 GM sit down strike and the beginning of a labor movement. This song was instrumental in keeping spirits and solidarity high among the workers during that time. My father and grandfather both worked in the factory here in Flint before they all began to close. As for me, I was the first person in my extended family to get a degree.

AFAIK first published in 1937 by Maurice Sugar, a Michigan born labor activist/attorney and later published with credits going to Alan Lomax, Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger. IDK if it was ever recorded before this version TBH.

I could only find lyrics so I made up the simple music for the song using folk and Beatles influences. I felt that appropriate considering their working class upbringings.

http://youtu.be/zNl0oUzPs8Q

08-17-2014, 06:25 AM
"i fell in love with a female plumber from harlesden NW10" by splodgenessabounds

WITH DOWNSTRUMS :eek:

no, really :eek:

the band splodgenessabounds are actually from south london, but they wrote this great song that mentions harlesden, north west london, where i'm from, and i just could not resist doing it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn2pkkdUglc

RAB11
08-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the little stories guys, I'm loving them! Lesley, I take it I can expect some Black Sabbath from you? :P

UkeyDave - Spanish Eyes This is exactly what I'm after mate! The Foxes top and list of names at the end were a nice touch. I know the name Englebert but don't know any of his music. You did a fantastic job though, love that strum you do and your vocals were really strong in this.

Doug - Friend Like Me Great tribute Doug, my girlfriend and I actually rewatched Aladdin the other day after we'd heard the news. Your playing was fantastic as ever mate, you were born to play jazz.

Ohmless - Sit Down Sit Down Nice job on this. Sounds almost too cheerful to be a protest song, but I can imagine it was powerful stuff when sang in a group. Your playing suited it perfectly as well.

RAB11
08-17-2014, 06:44 AM
"i fell in love with a female plumber from harlesden NW10" by splodgenessabounds

WITH DOWNSTRUMS :eek:

no, really :eek:

the band splodgenessabounds are actually from south london, but they wrote this great song that mentions harlesden, north west london, where i'm from, and i just could not resist doing it!

YEAH BABY! That was just all round fabness, and Splodgenessabounds might just be the best band name I've ever heard. And DOWNSTRUMS! Woo!

08-17-2014, 06:46 AM
I know the name Englebert but don't know any of his music.
*GASP* he's a legend. and he represented us at eurovision a couple of years back. i really thought we were gonna win*

* i say that every year

redpaul1
08-17-2014, 07:39 AM
YEAH BABY! That was just all round fabness, and Splodgenessabounds might just be the best band name I've ever heard. And DOWNSTRUMS! Woo!
:agree: :agree:

Who knows? Maybe coming to a venue near you :)

http://underthebridge.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Bad-Manners-instagram.jpg

Markwo
08-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Uh Oh Markwo....
Out Come The Wolves.
Great theme Here

Man, in, I wish I was from the East Bay right about now! I'm screwed being from Orlando - boy bands! I have a few ideas though.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
08-17-2014, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=xommen;156473 I got the idea of strapping a camera to my bike from a video Lumpy did in some previous season[/QUOTE]

Wow, I inspired someone. :-)

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
08-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Might be an opportunity moment to remind people they can 'sign in' on the map linked in my signature. It's already been interesting to see where peeps were from. I've not really looked to see before and have made incorrect assumptions.
I am from Leighton Buzzard so get the Barron Knights or Kajagoogoo :-(
I might have to look at where I live now... Mott the Hoople and Thunderclap Newman.
Or where I spent most of my life in Bedford..... I have no idea for there :-( Maybe I'll claim "dirty old town" :^)

Harry122
08-17-2014, 10:07 AM
This song, written in 1936 by Vernon Duke and Ira Gershwin, became popular in 1937 when trumpeter Bunny Berigan made it his theme song. Bunny Berigan was born in 1908. His parents lived in the village of Hilbert, Wisconsin, and Roland Berigan, nicknamed "Bunny" was born at the nearby Kaukauna, Wisconsin hospital. The site of that hospital is only a 10-minute walk from my home. Bunny Berigan died of alcoholism in 1942, at the age of 33. Sadly, few people in my community know his name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzdNNCQSOv8&feature=youtu.be

RAB11
08-17-2014, 10:30 AM
This song, written in 1936 by Vernon Duke and Ira Gershwin, became popular in 1937 when trumpeter Bunny Berigan made it his theme song. Bunny Berigan was born in 1908. His parents lived in the village of Hilbert, Wisconsin, and Roland Berigan, nicknamed "Bunny" was born at the nearby Kaukauna, Wisconsin hospital. The site of that hospital is only a 10-minute walk from my home. Bunny Berigan died of alcoholism in 1942, at the age of 33. Sadly, few people in my community know his name.

Thanks for sharing this Harry. Very good tune and you played and sang it excellently.

RAB11
08-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Stop two on the whistle stop tour of my life now. I've told most people I've met the story of the places I've been lucky enough to visit and live in my short life so far, but never through music, so that's why I've indulged myself with this theme because I had a feeling a lot of people on here would have similarly interesting stories. I'm not wrong so far.

When I was 4 my dad's work took us out to San Diego, and the following six years were the easiest of my life because my dad got lucky in a few decisions he made. I'm not sure I'd go back, but I do look back at my time there very fondly.

Eddie Vedder also spent a portion of his childhood in San Diego. He wrote a song with Pearl Jam called Can't Keep, and dedicated it to a singer called Elliot Smith. A few years later it was the opening track on his Ukulele Songs album.

Here's my version, but this time dedicated to Robin Williams.

http://youtu.be/nVJXNzGuW-I

barefootgypsy
08-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Well here's my first entry. I'm from the same neck of the woods as Slade. Checking up on Noddy Holder's bio, (lead singer), I find that we were born within a mile of each other in Walsall, and my Dad managed a butcher's shop in Noddy's area at the time when Noddy was a child there, it's likely that Noddy's Mum bought her meat there! My husband and I began our married life about a mile from Noddy's (then) family home on the Beechdale Estate, where I began my teaching career with a short stint at the school where Noddy's Mum was a dinner lady! So - closer to home than I even knew.... that's something I've learned! Slade were utterly mad but fantastic rockers.... a style which doesn't really suit me but I'm showing willing!

http://youtu.be/AEkhtD0B0s0

BigDaddyUker
08-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Ryan,

Great theme. I have only lived in a couple of places so I am starting with the present and will work backwards. This particular song is really about a train that runs between Chicago and New Orleans but there is an interesting story about this particular song.

I don't live in Chicago proper but rather is a small farming community called Big Rock which was founded by the Welsh in the early 1800s. The first settler was "Shanty" Cook in 1835. Around here we would call pretty much everything the 'Chicago-land area'. My house is the original farm house in my neighborhood and is approximately 160 years old. We have lived in Big Rock since November of 1998 after moving to the Chicago-land area from Montana in 1995.

This song was originally written by Steve Goodman who was a long time Chicagoan, cubs fan and rock star folk singer. One night in a bar in Chicago Steve saw Arlo Guthrie and asked him if he could sing a song for him. The story goes that Arlo really wasn't interested but finally agreed if Goodman would buy him a beer. Goodman agreed and the deal was that Guthrie would listen for as long as it takes for him to finish his beer.

Goodman played this song for Guthrie and Arlo immediately asked to record it. The song is more closely associated with Guthrie than Goodman but Goodman continued to sing it until his death in 1984.

Goodman got the idea for the song during a train ride south to see his wife's family. He was traveling on the Illinois Central Railway.

Having typed all that...not sure if it exactly fits the theme. You don't know anything more about Chicago or the Chicago-land area but I will tell you, that Chicago is the Windy City, not because of the wind, but because of the early politicians and all their hot air!!!

And as Geoff would say...After all that, I'm knackered!

http://youtu.be/EIU5cn6LeGU

BigDaddyUker
08-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Honestly, the only link between this song and my current hometown of Big Rock are the words Big and Rock. However, there is a reason why I picked this song.

Big Rock Candy Mountains was originally recorded in 1928 by Harry McClintock also known by his hobo name Haywire Mac. The song represents the hobo's paradise...the ultimate place. The modern version of the medieval Cockaigne.

As I mentioned in my first video, my wife and I moved from Montana to the Chicago-land area in 1995 and being a redneck cowboy type from Montana, I hated it. My wife called me and told me she finally found a house so off we went to look at it. We drove and we drove and we drove. As we got closer, more and more reminders of city life disappeared. I began to see corn fields, open pasture land and COWS!

We wound our way back into this hidden neighborhood with no street lights, no sidewalks and no fences. Just big sprawling properties with lots of grass and trees. I told my wife as we were driving in..."I don't care what the house looks like, this is where we need to live!"

Big Rock, Illinois (this hobo's paradise) is home to about 1200 people and is spread out over a large area. I can let my kids play outside with no worries and the entire family loves the wildlife. We have a family of foxes that live on our property, a raccoon family under our porch and a large herd of deer that roam the neighborhood. The town itself is very much a community from the churches to the schools. Everybody works together to provide the best possible environment for all those living here.

Big Rock's claim to fame in the area is what we call the Plow Match. It is a fairly big, once a year community festival. The first Big Rock Plowing Match was started in 1895 to provide a competition for farmers to plow against one another. The rules that were established are still followed today. In 1895 horses and mules were used and we still have classes for horses and mules. Today they still plow with antique tractors both steel and rubber tire also one and two bottom plows are used. This one of the last plowing match competitions still in existence in the US. Aside from the competition, this is a great weekend of fun for the entire family. There are booths set up from local merchants, artists etc. Lots of good 'fair' food. People travel from all over the country to attend the plowing competition.

http://youtu.be/El5zZ5WNcG4

Tootler
08-17-2014, 02:33 PM
I was born in Aberdeen which was my mother's home town but I now live in Middlesbrough where I have lived for the past 36 years. After moving up here, I discovered that my father's family have actually lived in this area for several generations, mostly on the other side of the river Tees in Co. Durham so my family really do belong here.

This song is from local songwriter, Graeme Miles. I've covered a few of his songs on the seasons. His songs document the Iron and Steel industry of Teesside and the countryside round about. This song refers to the ferry that used to ply across the Tees until they built the transporter bridge in 1911.

http://youtu.be/9JqslgJe4wk

Also from Middlesbrough is Chris Rea and David Coverdale of Whitesnake is from Saltburn just down the coast. There are also a number of excellent local songwriters in the folk idiom.

I am hoping to do a Chris Rea song later in the week but I am tied up for the next three days so it will be Thursday before I can do anything.

bonesigh
08-17-2014, 05:51 PM
I can see this is going to be and interesting week in the land of seasons. I've learned quite a bit about my home town. South San Francisco (a city unto itself and not part of San Francisco at all) BTW. Thank you Ryan. I can't find any bands who have come from there! A couple of movies have been partially filmed there and I have done a song from one but not uploaded it yet. Perhaps someone else here is better at research but I've spent some time, a substantial amount of time actually (: researching. There is one song that has the name of the town in it but there is no way, no how, no nothin' that could get me to play it! It's by E-40 and called Broccoli (if ya need to know).

How about originals Ryan? Can I write one? OR...perhaps I'll just mosey on through South City and go on to other places I've called home.

Harry122
08-17-2014, 08:09 PM
I live in one of a chain of cities, villages and towns in northeastern Wisconsin known collectively as the Fox Cities. The community follows the Fox River from Lake Winnebago to Green Bay. I wrote this song - words and music - today for this Season. I hope you like it.

I took all the photos in the collages, except for the ones of me, of course, which were taken by my uke club friends Greg Forton and Bruce Petros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jXeJBh4T0&feature=youtu.be

RAB11
08-17-2014, 08:29 PM
How about originals Ryan? Can I write one? OR...perhaps I'll just mosey on through South City and go on to other places I've called home.

Of course originals are allowed Janet, you're a musician from your hometown are you not?

Added all the videos so far to the playlist but not had chance to listen to them all yet. Loving the stories you guys are sharing though.

08-17-2014, 09:14 PM
another vid from me...

:bowdown: redpaul suggested this song, it's by joe strummer and the mescaleros, joe strummer and the clash have a long history and connection with london in general, and harlesden in particular, this song by him talks about willesden (where does willesden end and harlesden begin? i dunno for sure and neither does the postie) and cricklewood, both very close to and quite possibly overlapping (if you ask the postie) with harlesden, where i live

pictures are some drawings and paintings i've done of harlesden and thereabouts, nearabouts

"willesden to cricklewood"

by joe strummer

but with no proper strumming :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIWR2r2ne_s

redpaul1
08-17-2014, 09:17 PM
:bowdown: You've made this your own. Fab :bowdown:

08-17-2014, 09:21 PM
thank you paul! and thank you SO much for the song idea

barefootgypsy
08-17-2014, 09:28 PM
I've edited my original post to add more information about "closeness to home".....

RAB11
08-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Checking up on Noddy Holder's bio, (lead singer), I find that we were born within a mile of each other in Walsall, and my Dad managed a butcher's shop in Noddy's area at the time when Noddy was a child there, it's likely that Noddy's Mum bought her meat there! My husband and I began our married life about a mile from Noddy's (then) family home on the Beechdale Estate, where I began my teaching career with a short stint at the school where Noddy's Mum was a dinner lady! So - closer to home than I even knew.... that's something I've learned!

This is exactly what I'm after! What a small world, thanks for that Lesley. Loved your rendition of Slade too, you rocked it!

barefootgypsy
08-17-2014, 09:41 PM
This is exactly what I'm after! What a small world, thanks for that Lesley. Loved your rendition of Slade too, you rocked it!Thanks Ryan, I did my best! :D My family moved up the road to Birmingham when I was a child and I grew up only a couple miles from Ozzie Osbourne, and at the same time - now I really don't think I can do Ozzie.......

redpaul1
08-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Until I became a major rock star ( ;) ), my two claims to fame were that when I was a growing up, not long after dinosaurs had left this earth, Freddie Mercury's uncle was my dentist and that Geoff Hurst's brother once burgled our house. Putting the two together ought to yield a very OTT version of "I'm forever blowing bubbles" - on ukulele - but I'm afraid I'm just going to have to leave you to imagine that one.

Now my claim to fame is that I got to hang out with Martha Reeves earlier this month, backstage, in her trailer - just me, her and her sister - just after she'd blown the crowd away at the Wickerman rock festival in Scotland. You can't begin to imagine how honoured I felt.

RAB11
08-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Until I became a major rock star ( ;) ), my two claims to fame were that when I was a growing up, not long after dinosaurs had left this earth, Freddie Mercury's uncle was my dentist and that Geoff Hurst's brother once burgled our house. Putting the two together ought to yield a very OTT version of "I'm forever blowing bubbles" - on ukulele - but I'm afraid I'm just going to have to leave you to imagine that one.

I don't care how, but this simply HAS to happen.

wee_ginga_yin
08-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Song about the crazy tax on bedrooms instituted by the Tories. Song is by Citizen Smart (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTXLmffw7A8).

There is a long speil about Glasgow before the song which will give you an insight into Secularism and social issues and how to speak with a Scottish accent.

History of the bedroom tax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_Reform_Act_2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRi4wH-w-Vo

mikef
08-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Ryan that's brilliant Sir!

Theme - awesome
Prize - inspired
"things you'd like to see" - perfect encouragement

It's cool when a Season lets us find out a little more about each other too.

I'm so pleased it's a cracking theme too as this will be my last for a few weeks as I've got to let the hospital fiddle with my shoulder so I'll be spectating only for a while after this week. I'd better get off and work out some chords then hadn't I (it was one of those Sundays where "THAT SONG!!!" popped straight into my head... I love that).

RAB11
08-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Glad you like it Mike! Although there was a disappointing lack of ukulele stuff at the car boot yesterday, trying again Saturday but I've got two of the three prizes sorted so far.

Hope the op goes well mate!

(it was one of those Sundays where "THAT SONG!!!" popped straight into my head... I love that).

Ah, that's my favourite sort of Sunday too.

RAB11
08-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Right, I'm all caught up now.

BigDaddyUker - City of New Orleans/Big Rock Candy Moutain: Really enjoyed these two songs, very well done mate. You definitely took the story thing seriously too! Great read.

Tootler - Waiting for the Ferry Knew you'd come through with with some folks excellence and you didn't disappoint! Great finger picking and beautiful lyrics. Looking forward to some Chris Rea and !maybe even some White snake later on? :D

Harry - Fox Cities Wow. That is a really good tune mate. Particularly love the line "People great you good, just like people should". The pictures were a brilliant accompaniment too.

BEVOMU - Willesden to Cricklewood Lynda that was beautiful! Fab playing and you've got a real talent for painting too! Big props to Paul for getting you to play this.

Wee Ginga Yin - Bedroom Tax Song Very powerful song this, there are too few genuine protest songs around nowadays. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

MikeOnTheUke
08-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Well... my search for Trenton artists is coming up pretty bad. I know one song that mentions it, but its... well its wildly inappropriate. So I wouldn't feel comfortable posting it here...

UkeKnowDamnRight
08-18-2014, 08:17 AM
Here's my entry. I lived in Charlottesville, Virginia, for five years, during which I attended grad school, got married, and had a baby. It was a great time in my life and I loved C-ville (going back to visit soon!). Charlottesville has a lot of great music going on, but by far my favorite local acts were Devon Sproule and Paul Curreri, a couple who are both wonderful songwriters, guitar players, and performers. I had the pleasure of seeing them several times, once playing together on Valentine's Day. :) Devon's album Upstate Songs is one of my favorites. The song I chose for today, "Plea for a Good Night's Rest," is one that I used to sing to my son at night when I would be trying to get him to sleep (the irony was not, of course, lost on me).

Devon and Paul are both still making music and I highly recommend you check them both out! Here's Devon's "Plea for a Good Night's Rest," evoking many happy memories for me of both Charlottesville and my sweet baby (who is now 10). :)

http://youtu.be/j_sbf1q8aHI

wee_ginga_yin
08-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Right, I'm all caught up now.
Wee Ginga Yin - Bedroom Tax Song Very powerful song this, there are too few genuine protest songs around nowadays. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

I suspect that this stupid law does not make the news anywhere else in the world.
It is responsible for so much misery and even caused one woman to take here life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwi1PJNdQh8

RAB11
08-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Devon and Paul are both still making music and I highly recommend you check them both out! Here's Devon's "Plea for a Good Night's Rest," evoking many happy memories for me of both Charlottesville and my sweet baby (who is now 10). :)

That was great. Lovely playing and lovely singing. Thanks for sharing it.

UkeCan1
08-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Well... my search for Trenton artists is coming up pretty bad. I know one song that mentions it, but its... well its wildly inappropriate. So I wouldn't feel comfortable posting it here...

Oh, Mike, I forgot you're in NJ too! I did a pretty extensive search on NJ musicians yesterday, and you are right ... I don't recall seeing a single one from Trenton. You don't hear many writing about Trenton either ... funny dat. You might just have to write one. :)

I'll let you know if I think of any ... or meet any. There are a bunch from Princeton ... no connections there?

Me, I got lucky. There's a great song about NJ that I heard again two weeks ago at a folk fest, and remembered how much I've always loved that song and that artist. It was Sunday, and I thought, that would be fun to do for a Season soon ... then remembered neither FiL nor I had yet checked for the new Season theme. Quickly grabbed my phone to check: it was Markwo's personal theme songs. Thought about it, but it wasn't quite a fit for that. Yesterday I looked up the artist and ... he was born in the town I recently moved to! Could have been anywhere ... I got lucky.

As others have said, I've already learned lots about my town, its history, its geography, the famous guy it's named for, the less famous guy it almost got named for, the disaster that bears his name that destroyed several square miles, etc. Fascinating stuff. I'll share some of it with the song.

DWitt
08-18-2014, 11:41 AM
This challenge will be harder for some of us than others.

A couple people I knew in high school went into music—Christopher Tin and Torry Castellano. And then there are some other people who did some stuff in music who went to my high school before my time, like Joan Baez, Grace Slick, and Bill Kreutzmann. But none of any of their stuff really stood out as something I wanted to learn at the moment.

Luckily, there was a bit of a music scene in the town where I did my graduate studies, at Vanderbilt, so that gave me a couple other options. Of course, I went with the obvious choice: Lambchop!

This is from an album that was frequent listening for me while I was living there and, in all seriousness, reflects the richness of the music scene in Nashville for the locals who aren't into industrial "country."

It's also just a damn fascinating song! It's based on an Ancient Egyptian poem—click through to the YouTube page to read more about that in what I wrote there.

My arrangement of it gave me a chance to try new stuff, too, as requested. I'm still working on incorporating strums and double stops into picking, and picking with new patterns.

Blah blah blah. Lambchop. Oh, and David Byrne covered this, so some of you might know the song from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Efp0hpy7j0

TCK
08-18-2014, 04:03 PM
When I was in High School, the great unwashed hung out in coffee houses (they likely still do)...or if you were a real dirt bag, Denny's. I mostly went for Denny's in San Jose California, and periodically we were joined by a fellow named LINT. The girls loved this guy, in spite of his hardly being able to string together enough words to make a sentence. I on the other hand was largely ignored and spent most nights in the booth downing coffee and tattooing myself prison style...oh to be young again.
LINT, as we all knew, was part of the growing DIY punk-rock scene that was created at 924 Gilman Street, where we all spent our weekends. The Gilman Street Project was a collectively run, all ages venue for mostly punk rock located in Berkeley California, the city of my birth, and we used to beg, borrow, cheat and steal (or mostly climb into Jeff's van- he was the creepy guy 10 years older than us who liked to hang out with the great unwashed) on the weekends to get there. There were a MILLION bands, and a million kids, and it was always a blast.
Now- this Dora the Explora existence (no parents- how is this kid doing this?) took it's toll...and one of the sing-a-longs we used to LOVE was this one. LINT's band, Operation Ivy, would often close with it, and the ending line seemed perfect for a kid who had no home really, and would likely sleep on a friends couch or worse when he got home. Oh well- good times.
By 1989, Operation Ivy...which was collectively loved by all, was gone. Now, there was another band coming onto the scene in 1991 that also did this song. I was a freshmen in college and these guys would play at their practice spot in Santa Rosa California once a week, and open the doors to all who would show up. I will tell you who showed up...the ladies! Scads of them, all over the place, so we went...and again I was largely ignored. Pissy introvert does not equal lady killer I suppose...anyway, on to the story-good thing Mel came along shortly. We figured they would never amount to much. Pop Punk admittedly influenced greatly by Matt Freeman and Tim Armstrong (LINT), and Operation Ivy...but just a little soft. Mostly too soft for us, but what do we know? The band went on to be one of the biggest selling bands of all time...also from the Gilman originally. Sweet Children, or Green Day as you lot know them. Anyway- the "old" guys (ones who had been to the Gilman...I was 18) sang along when they played this one.
I believe I hit three cities with one song, all of which I have lived in. The gauntlet has hit the floor.
And I say the F-word. Again. Children beware. That's what they say when we're together......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1G76BloQs&feature=youtu.be
I seriously LOVE that you are making everyone engage my rule. Great season.

ddanner
08-18-2014, 04:09 PM
My wife and I have made Roanoke, Virginia USA our home since 1980. Our biggest complaint comes when everyone seems to tell us after the fact that: "Oh, we thought about you the other day when we drove past Roanoke and saw the sign." We always ask them: "Well, why didn't you stop and say 'hello'?"

There are some excellent bands in and around Roanoke, but the one that I most associate with our town's name is, Old Crow Medicine Show. Its origins are from just up the road in Harrisonburg, VA. Ketch Secor from OCMS added somewhat auto-biographical lyrics to the chorus called, "Rock Me Mama," which was first recorded as a demo by Bob Dylan. Like everyone else; Secor too, was just passing through Roanoke, but I'm glad it caused him to give us a great shout-out in his lyrics.

I know this song is often put in that banned category of "If I hear that song one more time I will . . ." Sorry about that if it falls in that category for you. I still enjoy playing it, and for me personally, it is the best fit for a homecoming song about Roanoke.

http://youtu.be/sz27Quaur3w

ddanner
08-18-2014, 04:32 PM
My wife and I lived in Tucson, Arizona USA for 5 years early in our married life while I was attending graduate school (1973-78). Prior to that time, our homes were of only a few months to 2 years duration in a variety of locations from California, Texas, Indiana and the Republic of the Philippines.

Our roots in Tucson grew deep there, but at that time you did not have to live in Tucson very long before you heard the name "Ronstadt" mentioned. Ronstadt Hardware was a well known source of hardware items, and one of our neighbors had gone to school with Linda Ronstadt who had already reached stardom by that time.

"Love Is A Rose" was written by Neil Young in 1974, but I first heard it as recorded by Linda Ronstadt in 1975.

http://youtu.be/G_uufNyMnHI

Jazzbanjorex
08-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Well this song is an original I wrote long ago, far, far, away, in a cold dark place.

Two railroads crossed in northeast Oklahoma and gave birth to a town 1871. I actually grew up in the country but schooled there in Vinita, Ok. It was a lot like Mayberry. Safe and quiet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Co1U0FfaLI&feature=youtu.be

As I said in the intro of the video. I took various relationships and combined them into one, a fictitious child of Katy and Frisco which is actually the two train lines that run through the town.

I eventually, twelve years later, went home back. My two young boys and I. I did't want raise the boys alone in the service. We spent three wonderful years on the farm where I grew up before my job lead me to Tulsa, not very far away from the farm. You can never go home again but you can take your boys there so they can live right for awhile.

Jazzbanjorex
08-18-2014, 05:12 PM
do bonus songs go to the island?

TCK
08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
As I understand it- there are no bonuses this week...do your thing Rex!
do bonus songs go to the island?

lelouden
08-18-2014, 05:34 PM
I have lived in Mesa all of my life. In fact I am a fourth generation Mesa resident. Mesa gets its name from the spanish word table. This area was founded by mormon pioneers. 2000 years before the pioneers settled on this area the Hohokam Indians lived here and developed the water canals, many of which are still used today. There is an area of Mesa called Lehi that sits below the table and that is where the first settlers of this area started but many wanted to be up on the table and that is where the name comes from. Mesa is a wonderful family area and a suburb of Phoenix Arizona. There are several suburbs of the phoenix area most of which started out as orange groves and as this area has grown the trees have been replaced by housing.

Todd B lives here too. Instead of covering the big well known band "Jimmy Eats World" from Mesa, I've decided to cover Todd B. (https://www.youtube.com/user/doogey9) If you don't know who he is yet take a listen. He is a ukulele player and many of us follow him. He is one of the great contributors for ukulele on youtube IMO. I contacted Todd today and asked permission to cover his song "Suburban Fool". It is an original piece about the growth and changes of this area and the sadness that come with growth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJZKTaYP-4&feature=youtu.be

Jazzbanjorex
08-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Spend a lot of time on Tulsa time these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMel74zRay0&feature=youtu.be

I took some liberties with the chord progression. I didn't feel like doing the typical blues shuffle.

greenie44
08-18-2014, 07:03 PM
I spent the first 18 years of my life in Toledo. This song was pretty much the theme song of Toledo when I was growing up. Of course, it was way not cool - really best heard as a barbershop quartet song, of which Toledo had plenty. But we still all knew it.

Times done changed. Toledo, as a second tier auto city, has fallen on very hard times - losing their water supply last week was just the latest indignity. I barely know anyone above ground there any more. But I am still strong for Toledo, in my own way. I did this one as more of an elegy or a dirge, as seems more appropriate in the current situation.

http://youtu.be/MFid-uZ5EDI

mythinformed
08-18-2014, 07:35 PM
I found this footage of my old local drinking haunt 'The Railway Hotel'(now demolished)in Harrow/Wealdstone(NW London) where we would get hammered, listen to great live music and fall out the doors dazed into the blinding morning light................it was also where a band called 'The High Numbers' had played every Tuesday twenty odd years previously who went on with a change of name and became legends.

(A couple of miles down the road a fella called Reginald Dwight was playing his piano in a pub called 'The Northwood Hills Hotel' ............who later went on to become Elton John).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_dZs8NTVM

RAB11
08-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Added all the videos in up until Mythinformed. DWitt's uploaded a different version of his so he's out of sequence on the list I'm afraid.

Keep 'em coming folks.

Rustyy
08-18-2014, 09:30 PM
As it says in my signature I live in Queenscliff, near Geelong, near Melbourne, in Australia.
I have lived most of my life in Geelong except for a couple of periods when I have lived elsewhere, which I hope to get into a bit later in the week.
There are not too many famous musicians from this neck of the woods. Chrissie Amphlett was one, and I have sung "Pleasure and Pain" in an earlier Season which Alan ran, as a tribute to her after she passed away in 2012.
I have decided to do a song by Mick Thomas who grew up in Geelong. He was a member of the band Weddings Parties Anything, a folk rock band who had little commercial success, but who had a cult following for their energetic live performances. The song I have chosen, Rain In My Heart, has a very catchy chorus which is sung loudly by everybody in the audience when played.

As for Geelong, it is, or should I say, has been an industrial city, 45 miles from Melbourne, our state's (state of Victoria) capital. In the past few years many of the old industries have pulled out, including Ford, Shell, Alcoa, Pilkingtons, International Harvester, leaving the city with a high unemployment, and a slightly bleak future.

Melbourne and Geelong established themselves back in the late 1840s, and early 1850s, when the gold rush began inland at Ballarat, perhaps 50 miles from the coast. The prospectors arrived from Great Britain, California, and China amongst others. Geelong was closer to Ballarat by 10 miles or so, so, when the main way for the prospectors to get to Ballarat was by walking, it would have been the preferred jumping off point for arrivals. However the canny Melbourne businessmen produced a map, with a faulty position for Ballarat showing that it was considerably closer to Melbourne. This is said to be responsible for Melbourne becoming the state capital, rather than Geelong. Now, I think, us Geelong-ites prefer it that way, although there was supposed to be considerable angst at the time.

http://youtu.be/vbylxVGxI7M

08-18-2014, 10:18 PM
i was missing the old upstrum, and needed to do some upstrumming punky stuff to get my mojo back

this is a homemade songlet, about harlesden, which has a history of great punk bands coming to gig here back in the day, so doing a punk song about the town seemed appropriate

nothing new about me doing punk, nothing new about me upstrumming, so to do SOMETHING a bit different i illustrated the vid with some uke drawings

following on from putting my street scene art in my previous vid, i spose, but a bit different!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpMvKyywm3c

harlesden town, i get around

harlesden town, you gotta love it
harlesden town, if you don't like it, you can shove it
harlesden town, it's where i live
harlesden town, i don't give a damn

harlesden town
harlesden town
harlesden town
harlesden town

harlesden town, it's the best
harlesden town, i do not jest
harlesden town, it's so misunderstood
harlesden town, i think it's really good
yeah

harlesden town, yeah
harlesden town, yeah
harlesden town, yeah
harlesden town
yeah

redpaul1
08-19-2014, 12:08 AM
:shaka:

harlesden town - if you like fresh fish, yeah
harlesden town - if you need wigs, yeah
harlesden town - we got Brazilian beef, yeah
harlesden town - don't put us down!!!
:cool:

08-19-2014, 12:12 AM
redpaul! yeah baby!

i think we could keep that song going for a couple of hours at least!!!

harlesden town, it's on the news
harlesden town, gives me the blues
harlesden town, get there by bus
harlesden town, come and see us
yeah

:music:

ombracorta
08-19-2014, 03:40 AM
Here's my entry

http://youtu.be/khmc65mGJ40

Milano is a 1979 song by Italian songwriter Lucio Dalla and I think that it's a very faithful portait of my hometown :)
I hope you'll like the song and some poscards from Milan ;)

GinnyT11
08-19-2014, 05:27 AM
Good to have you participating again, Saverio. This is a great week for you to come back because you could do this wonderful song about your hometown, which is quite an interesting city.

barefootgypsy
08-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Be afraid, be very afraid.... I have rigged up a makeshift kazoo holder.......

redpaul1
08-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Found the sheet music online, but just couldn't bring myself to do the whole FM thing, so I just broke out a pedals ('Vibes' & 'Chorus') and did a spacey instrumental (badly)

http://youtu.be/_v3jUPozr48

strumsilly
08-19-2014, 08:17 AM
I grew up in Miami, and I consider it my hometown. It was a" small" big town when my parents move there in '59, pre Castro. I remember hearing "Moon over Miami" a lot growing up. having trouble finding the chords. lots of people recorded it, including Roy Smeck and Ray Charles. here's the lyrics, and any help with the chords would be appreciated. I'd like to learn it and enter it for this season.

Moon Over Miami
Moon over Miami
Shine on my love and me
So we can stroll beside the roll
Of the rolling sea

Moon over Miami
Shine on as we begin
A dream or two that may come true
When the tide comes in

Hark to the song of the smiling troubadours
Hark to the throbbing guitars
Hear how the waves offer thunderous applause
After each song to the stars

Moon over Miami
You know we're waiting for
A little love, a little kiss
On Miami shore
here's someone playing it on a banjo uke. too small for me to see the chords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqCytOgfugU

08-19-2014, 08:18 AM
i'm so excited now, i can hardly breathe for the anticipation!

lelouden
08-19-2014, 08:34 AM
I grew up in Miami, and I consider it my hometown. It was a" small" big town when my parents move there in '59, pre Castro. I remember hearing "Moon over Miami" a lot growing up. having trouble finding the chords. lots of people recorded it, including Roy Smeck and Ray Charles. here's the lyrics, and any help with the chords would be appreciated. I'd like to learn it and enter it for this season.

Moon Over Miami
Moon over Miami
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqCytOgfugU

Here is a starting point. Sometimes you have to kick out what doesn't sound right and simplify:) http://chordify.net/chords/connee-boswell-moon-over-miami-2ndviolinist

lelouden
08-19-2014, 08:37 AM

Hahahaha! You go girl. Im looking forward to that:D

UkeyDave
08-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Found the sheet music online, but just couldn't bring myself to do the whole FM thing, so I just broke out a pedals ('Vibes' & 'Chorus') and did a spacey instrumental (badly)

A pair of rounded spectacles and I swear I could have been looking at Alf Garnet. :-)

ohmless
08-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Home is where your heart is. My son lives outside Denver, Colorado with his mother. That is where this band is from and I heard it ad nauseum when I lived out there. This song is the more successful of the two dreary songs I am offering this week to counterbalance my "happy" protest song! Here is the grammy nominated(no win!) seventh longest charting single of all time.

http://youtu.be/Mltc6WoJ6Kw

RAB11
08-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Playlist should be up to date but I've not had much time to listen to many entries today, apologies.

barefootgypsy
08-19-2014, 10:16 AM
I feel so blessed with this theme because my area of north Birmingham, where we moved when I was still at primary school produced so many top class artists.... one very near to home was Steve Winwood (and brother Muff) of the Spencer Davis Group. Steve Winwood is two years older than me and he and MUff both went to the big secondary school about a mile away from my house. A very good friend of ours and best man at our wedding was in Steve Winwood's class. Keep On Running went to Number One and was never off my turntable in 1966.... I've enjoyed trying to get to grips with it but it wasn't exactly a TCK rule one, and I don't think I can improve on this. I nearly forgot to play the kazoo - I did warn you!

http://youtu.be/Fmz2TZZeEXU

mikef
08-19-2014, 10:22 AM
This is "Ghost Town" by The Specials. Coventry is the home of Two Tone and whilst the scene is a little before my time... just... nothing sums up Coventry more than this song by it's most famous band.

I went to University in Coventry and spent many happy years there... that unassuming West Midlands city, the forgotten cousin of Birmingham, will always be my spiritual home and is packed with happy memories of good friends, dancing, record shops & Godiva statues. It's where I became me. It's also where I came together with Keith & David to form the band Twin Hazey. We were together many many years, achieved some success and if you stay till the end of the video you can even see a promo photo. Great days.

I ♥ Coventry and I miss it.

http://youtu.be/kj7dTo4VW1k

ddanner
08-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Playlist should be up to date but I've not had much time to listen to many entries today, apologies.

BRAVO!!! What a great job of you have been doing of staying atop all this week's postings and keeping the Playlist up to date. You are to be commended by dear Sir!

ohmless
08-19-2014, 10:52 AM
I just columbused (discovered something already known to others) this fantastic folk artist from Detroit Michigan named Sufjan Stevens. Though not from Flint, Detroit is still very close and suffered just as well as Flint. It shows in his song. This song is somewhat depressing so WATCH WITH CAUTION if sensitive to such things. I certainly can't handle more of this song.

My challenges for this song(besides my depression) was trying to fill the space between the chords by trying to have a sensitive touch and still have enough force to make the strings continue to bounce. Also first song I did in key of Gm(has my vote for most depressing chord on a ukulele!) Could have tried fingerpicking but was worried it would have no rhythm since I suck at it. haha Somewhat appropriate that the song is very slow also. Adds to the sad tension that is powerful in this song.

http://youtu.be/QzwYij7NIIY

08-19-2014, 12:57 PM
'The High Numbers'
oh my gosh they look so young!

Srax
08-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Yes! I'm Back to the seasons!. And I singing a beautiful song by Joan Manuel Serrat, born in Barcelona, my city. The song is called Mediterraneo and here is like a hymn. Barcelona is bathed by the Mediterranean and I feel very identified with what the song says because I consider myself very Mediterranean: my skin, my hair, my way of speaking, of moving ... It's a beautiful song and I encourage to listen to the original version!

Needless to say I am very happy to return to be with you!

A hug!

Sara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVrVzIC-TnI&feature=youtu.be

TCK
08-19-2014, 05:07 PM
About two weeks after my fifteenth birthday, I arrived home to find all my belongings (dirty clothes and skateboard) packed and ready for a trip.
Curious, I asked my mother what the nature of this imminent departure was. She handed me a letter from my father (which I still tease him about) and told me I would be leaving on an airplane for LA in an hour and a half.
Seems mom and dad felt like keeping me to themselves was a bit of a crime, so they decided to share the joy that was me as a teen with my aunt in down south.
This was interesting.
We arrived and it seems she forgot that I would need somewhat presentable lodgings, which were to be provided in the form of an illegal outbuilding. We also had to clean said lodgings...and I still puzzle over what all those little bags were. Denial in the form of ignorance from my aunt- did not serve my cousin well as you will see.
In any event- my parents thought they were saving me from myself by sending me to be "roomies" with my cousin, who was ten years older and already had one strike (he now has three and is out). It was quite the opposite, as he was more than happy to furnish me with substances (all of which my mother is STILL convinced I had already done. I had not)...I reckon it is fortunate the only one I still carry around is nicotine.
I hated LA. In fact, when I felt my body could not longer take it-I begged to be brought back home. When I was brought back, I was shipped somewhere else-but that is for later. Prodigal son and all.
I could do Black Flag, I could do Bad Religion, Dr. Know, Descendents (why do I want to play punk so much right now?)...shoot- I could do anything from about a million bands, but this song from a band that was still just playing in night clubs for a $2 cover sums up my LA experience almost perfectly.
Red-Hot Chili Peppers "Cabron"...and yes, I did it again. Curse words, this time in espanol (I cant make a tilde' on this thing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P57IiqBnoFw&feature=youtu.be

Jazzbanjorex
08-19-2014, 05:10 PM
More Tulsa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7g6b3nGBPU&feature=youtu.be

lelouden
08-19-2014, 05:41 PM
#2 for me. I don't need to say a whole lot about this song except it is our beautiful alternate state song written by Rex Allen Jr. son to Rex Allen. Rex Allen Sr. was born in Arizona and is known as "The Arizona Cowboy". He was an actor, singer and song writer. He son Rex Allen Jr. was born elsewhere but Arizona is his adopted homeland. He is a C&W singer.

The song and pictures say it all. We are known for our uniquely beautiful state and weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBODYH7XweQ&feature=youtu.be

Cohumulone
08-19-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm from Knoxville, TN. Not a whole lot to choose from unless I wanted to go more regional. So, I picked Knoxville Girl, a murder ballad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qZwciq_xdM&feature=youtu.be

TheUkeBloke
08-19-2014, 06:25 PM
I was born and lived for most of my young life in the North London suberb of Barnet. So this song generally fits the bill....!

As for Barnet itself, Peter Banks a British guitarist was born there. He was the original guitarist of the progressive rock bands Yes and Flash. Progressive rock is not me.

Terry Lightfoot was a British jazz clarinettist and bandleader born in Potters Bar, a close-by suberb where I lived for 3 years, but I can't play/give justice to a piece of clarinet music.

Emma Lee Bunton, born in Finchley, another local suberb where I spent much time, and worked with my father, is a British pop singer, best known as a member of the Spice Girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw5MFj6fO10

Jazzbanjorex
08-19-2014, 06:31 PM
A band from Tulsa, GAP Band.
Greenwood, Archer, and Pine are three streets in Tulsa and that's where GAP came from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjX0WCUPyuc&feature=youtu.be

Rustyy
08-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Following on from yesterdays introduction about living in Geelong for most of my life, I mentioned that I spent a little time in a couple of other places.This is about one of those.
In the 1960s and early 1970s Australia's involvement in Vietnam meant that the Government had to introduce National Service to provide sufficient numbers to support our commitment to the war. This involved all men who would turn 20 years old in the next 12 months registering for the draft. Birthday dates were then pulled from a hat (a bit like winning a Season), until they had their quota for the next year. I was one of those who had their marble selected.
So, in March 1970, I was required to attend Puckapunyal army camp to commence recruit training. From there I did a truck driver training course, and then a jungle training course at Canungra in Queensland, before being flown over to Vietnam for my stint.
This Redgum song, while not exactly my story, is a typical story of what happened to many of the conscipts, and regular soldiers, who were sent to Vietnam in this period.
It is a song I have had a lot of trouble singing because of the emotions I felt while doing so and I hope I have done it justice. It is a tale worth remembering when young people are sent off to war at the whim of the people in power.

http://youtu.be/edx6Fiirm_Q

I will add the words to the youtube site for those interested, and for those wondering, the Australian locations mentioned were all army training bases, and Nui Dat, and Vung Tau, where I was stationed, and were the two main camps for the Australian Army in Vietnam.
Australia, over the course of the war, sent about 60,000 soldiers to Vietnam, of which 521 were killed and more than 3000 wounded. This is nowhere near as many as the U.S., of course, but I mention it because many in the world do not realise that we too were involved there.
Oh, and VB is Victoria Bitter, our favourite tipple.
And, here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJMgPOY-M44) is the original film clip to support the song

thesillydave
08-19-2014, 10:08 PM
howdy all! here's a video postcard of my hometown. hope you enjoy!

http://youtu.be/efXpbN7aCSQ
cheers!

redpaul1
08-19-2014, 11:08 PM
A pair of rounded spectacles and I swear I could have been looking at Alf Garnet. :-)

Right! Thassit! I'm gaan dahn dah pub!!!

UkeCan1
08-20-2014, 03:25 AM
I have decided to do a song by Mick Thomas who grew up in Geelong. He was a member of the band Weddings Parties Anything, a folk rock band who had little commercial success, but who had a cult following for their energetic live performances.

Love Weddings Parties Anything! Best band name ever. I was just talking about them Saturday when the subject of great band names came up. "Father's Day" (http://youtu.be/OgQfmP96J7A) was a big hit when I was there back in the early '90's - catchy, moving song. I thought about doing it, but I never lived in Melbourne or Victoria. (Nor am I a dad, divorced or otherwise.) Sorry to hear they didn't get further.

I'm kicking myself I didn't think to do Frente!'s "Accidently Kelly Street" (http://youtu.be/XdJYrkra0nk) for theme song week ... that's been "on my list" since before uke and would have been a perfect theme song for me, and I totally forgot about it. But alas, they too are not from anywhere I'm from. (Ya gotta love a band with a '!' in its name ... I have one too. :))

Pabrizzer sent me a couple of excellent suggestions though ... a song about the NT, which is my real Australian home ... and, amazingly, one about Randwick, Sydney, my first and longest home there. Hope to get to those after I finish the NJ song I'm working on, which I hope to do tonight.

Rusty, loved the story about the Victorian capital ... that seems so quintessentially Australian to me. :)

wee_ginga_yin
08-20-2014, 05:22 AM
Robert Burns is Scotland's national poet and he wrote tens of songs.
He was born in Ayrshire the same county that I was born in. He wrote songs like
flow gently sweet afton, My love is like a red red rose and one of the
saddest love songs ever Ae fond kiss

Have a listen to Eddi Reader singing her heart out on

Ae fond kiss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMmtBgMaF5I)

This is my second entry.

http://youtu.be/DqHzzy1eVuA

RAB11
08-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Seen and commented on all but five of the videos so far, but I'm going to have to leave those comments on YouTube unfortunately. But I heartily recommend watching all the videos so you can see those comments and listen to some lovely music and make some comments of your own!

Keep 'em coming people.

Markwo
08-20-2014, 08:08 AM
Forgive the interruption Ryan, just wanted to let everyone know that I have posted the wrap up for Season 129. Now I can finally jump into this awesomely-themed Season!

myrnaukelele
08-20-2014, 10:34 AM
My hometown is Chicago and my challenge to myself this week is to learn to play the blues. :cool:
I'd like to be able to play Sweet Home Chicago by Sunday. Still working on that blues turnaround.
Until then - since I was born and raised on the South Side (85th and Stony Island Ave. for many years; when I was in HS my family moved to Pullman - yes, that Pullman- the planned community where the Pullman RR cars were built) I thought I'd sing this one for fun.

http://youtu.be/dkfSYReXItg

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
08-20-2014, 11:52 AM
I was born just outside Leighton buzzard in Bedfordshire, England. There were two groups from this small town, Kajagoogoo and the Barron knights. The latter were a comedy group who did a lot of parodies. This is a part of one of those called 'a taste of aggro'.

http://youtu.be/oSasuy9zy6g

I moved to a village nearer Bedford where I lived all my childhood.
Which band is Bedford famous for?
Glenn Miller lived played and recorded there in the war and it was (allegedly) from an airfield not 8 miles from our house where he left on his last flight. I played trombone in the Mainline Big Band for many years and we played the music of the forties and played gigs in many of the venues that the Miller band played in (40 years on). I have not found a uke friendly Miller tune - not friendly to me anyway.

frisbee fred
08-20-2014, 11:53 AM
I live in Barre, VT. Phish comes from around here but I don't know their songs. So, I decided to record a little blues song I wrote. We were told to get out of our comfort zone. I'm way out of it here. I have got some new toys and am using them for the first time publicly in this video. First time use of a looper, first time use of my new Blackstar amp, and first time use of my super cool new Kala Ubass. Steffan doesn't have to worry about any competition from me. I recorded a bass loop using the Kala but you can barely hear it. One thing I found is that solos always go a lot better when you are not taping them. So.......the lyrics are in the youtube description. Thanks for listenin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHEL2WqNMk&list=UU8cUinqkPFVzjX1YBc-epdg

redpaul1
08-20-2014, 12:13 PM
In the late 70s & early 80s I was living in Vancouver, BC: a port city like Hamburg, where this song, by Tom Robinson, is set.

In those far-off days, kids, there was no Facebook and no Skype, international phone calls were expensive and the phone lines limited: the only practical communication with friends and family was via pen and ink. Coming off the back of the OPEC oil price hikes, visits home were a financial impossibility too. While I made a lot of new friends in B.C., inevitably, I gradually lost contact with all my high school and college friends, and all but my immediate family.

In late 1982, I had to come back to Blighty rather abruptly, with the same inevitable diminution of friendships made in B.C.; and this song, from 1982 (for which I had to sit down and work out the chords for myself, i.e., I've never done this one before, as per this week's rubric), spoke eloquently to my sense of disruption/dislocation both in moving to Vancouver, and in moving back to the UK.

I spent a lot of time in both situations listening to the radio. Short-wave could take you to different continents, even though you'd need to keep switching between shortwave bands, especially the 49, 41 and 25 metre bands, as night turned into day. But AM radio (no FM internet in those days, either, kids) after dark, also travels incredible distances. Listening in Vancouver, for instance you could pick up AM stations as far away as Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Next week: typing a thesis onto punch cards: /P/
SPACING = 1
GO
/P/

http://youtu.be/D2DH04TnxyQ

MikeOnTheUke
08-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Oh, Mike, I forgot you're in NJ too! I did a pretty extensive search on NJ musicians yesterday, and you are right ... I don't recall seeing a single one from Trenton. You don't hear many writing about Trenton either ... funny dat. You might just have to write one. :)

I'll let you know if I think of any ... or meet any. There are a bunch from Princeton ... no connections there?

Hmm... actually, never LIVED there, per say... but being from a town with nothing but restaurants... and well... Trenton being Trenton... I spent most of my "hang out" time either at friends houses, or wandering around Princeton. May have spent as much time there as k did in my own town. It may be a stretch, but it'd be better than me trying to write a song in the little time I have to devote to this. X3

Plus, I've already done a Blues Traveler song, so it might not hurt to do another.

UkeCan1
08-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Two weeks ago at a folk festival, I heard this great song about my home state (http://youtu.be/3k-PYHvfK-o), that I've loved since I first heard it nearly 20 years ago ... and I thought what a great song it would be to do for a Season. I suddenly remembered it was Sunday and quickly checked the new Season. I briefly considered doing this for Markwo's week, but I didn't really want this for my personal theme song.

And then, serendipity ... comes this Season about hometowns. Even better, the wonderful artist, John Gorka, just happens to have been born in the very town in which I'm now living, and where I make most of my videos, including this one ... Edison, New Jersey. So I had to do it!

I have spent the majority of my life living in this tiny but populous state. I was not a fan when I was young, and escaped several times, to college, grad school, and 4.5 years backpacking and living halfway around the world, then driving to Alaska and back over six months. I hope to do some songs later in the week about some of those places too.

This time, I've been back for almost 20 years, most of which I lived in one home in a tiny friendly suburban town ... the longest I've lived anywhere in my life ... until I moved 1.4 miles to this current place in Edison. There's a lot of great stuff going on in this little place ... especially musically and socially ... there are always more great things happening nearby than I can possibly do. This time around, at this time in my life, I'm pretty happy here. I'd love better weather and less traffic (though I cannot complain about this wonderful summer!), but otherwise, it's a pretty great place to be.

My home state has not got the greatest rep outside its borders, but we're okay with that. If you knew how great it was, you'd all want to live here too.

Apologies for the sub-par audio, but I was so happy with how I played this first take ... it's the best I've ever played it ... so I figured there was not much benefit in attempting more takes.
Here are the lyrics (and chords). (https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuhlgnyqn5c4kf5/I%27m%20From%20New%20Jersey%20%20-%20%20John%20Gorka.pdf)

http://youtu.be/nSUV_DKXXc8

Before I googled John Gorka and realized I could lay claim to this song, I learned a lot of interesting things about Edison ... both the town and the well-known inventor for whom it's named (Menlo Park is a part of current-day Edison, NJ, and there's a Thomas Edison Museum here).

And also about Lewis Nixon, for whom the town might have been named instead ... and the great chemical explosion named for him, which destroyed several square miles of the town ... some pretty fascinating stuff that I'd never heard.

Edison is actually the fifth most populous municipality in NJ, after the cities of Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, and Elizabeth - all northeast of here and hence closer to New York. So it's the largest non-city, and bigger than a number of cities I'd have expected to outrank it. I had no idea. It's kind of the epitome of sprawling suburbs, I guess. It also ranked really high as one of the top places to live, so quality of life here is pretty good.

I wouldn't be recommending you fly into Newark just to come see the sights ... there are plenty of more interesting places you could spend your vacation ... but it's a nice place to live.

(But feel free to come visit for the people and the uke-y things! We have a terrific UkeFest coming Labor Day Weekend, and I have a spare room. :))

UkeCan1
08-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Hmm... actually, never LIVED there, per say... but being from a town with nothing but restaurants... and well... Trenton being Trenton... I spent most of my "hang out" time either at friends houses, or wandering around Princeton. May have spent as much time there as k did in my own town. It may be a stretch, but it'd be better than me trying to write a song in the little time I have to devote to this. X3

Plus, I've already done a Blues Traveler song, so it might not hurt to do another.

Go for it, Mike! (Or you could do the one I just did ... I posted the chart. :)) Apply the Thornton rule as liberally as you need to. Get 'er done.

lelouden
08-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Back in the day Arizona had many really talented Folk Singers. Here is a song written by Travis Edmonson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Edmonson) best known for Bud and Travis. I came across this song while searching for Arizona songs and found Gaylan Taylor (http://www.limeliters.net/gaylan-taylor---the-limeliters.html) singing it on youtube. Taylor is another Arizona boy and most recently one of the Limelighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTB8h02dE2w&feature=youtu.be

Forgot to say RAB that I had to work this out myself. I couldn't find anything on it. I sat and figured out the chords and lyrics that I felt were right. I even play one chord that I have no idea what it is. It just sounded right to my ear. its the only bar chord (4232) on the bari that I played. If anyone knows what its proper name is let me know. So there you go. I did something Ive never done before! played a new chord and figured out the chords :D

greyghost
08-20-2014, 03:41 PM
So even though I've been in New England for 18 years now, and my two children were born in Indiana and New York, I am a native of the Crescent City, and New Orleans never really leaves your soul. This is the first time I've broken out the baritone for a Season, the first time I've experimented with an open slide tuning, and my first Led Zeppelin cover. This is a song about every NOLA native's worst nightmare (which came true in 2005). I've left in several mistakes, as I simply don't have time to go back and do another take. I'm driving my son to college on Friday, and meanwhile my daughter broke her leg last week and can't stand or walk or leave the house without a lot of difficulty and pain. Good time for the blues, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5vcokRKfYU

TCK
08-20-2014, 06:09 PM
So- College.
Mostly good, especially after the first year (when I met Melissa), but I did have a great room mate that first one. He was a guitar player and singer for a mildly famous PopPunk band later on, Diesel Boy (here they are in Freaks and Geeks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWBEwNN5KUE))...but when I met him, he was a glam rocker and knew little about punk. What he did know was studios, producers, and how to get famous. Things I could care less about (LA fellow).
One day, I was listening to some music he clearly hated. He asked what it was, I told him, and he knew that it had been recorded right down the street from where we were.
"You know the old chicken coop on West Sierra?"
"Yeah"
"That guy records there. It is a studio- Prairie Sun"
I did not believe him until the first time I saw Tom Waits walking around Cotati or at the coffee shop... Kellesimone selling flowers to folks... him singing in Longs while he shopped. Singing songs I loved.
We were all warned never to approach him...He hated that as we understood it, but man I felt like a thirteen year old girl every time I saw him.
Sharing your collective space with someone you cannot help but idolize is like...well, it is a lot like my marriage, and made me smile.
This is my favorite song of his.
"Up Shit Creek Again". I know I have done it before, but statistically, very few of you saw of it- so it is fair game again I figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4kOm8g3jw&feature=youtu.be

BigDaddyUker
08-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Need your help. Have a stressed relationship with my oldest son. Haven't seen him in two years. Had dinner with him and his girlfriend. Good first date to rebuild the relationship. Any songs come to mind? It was a nice homecoming.

TCK
08-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Terrible video...but yeah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kea0ghm7Z4E
Need your help. Have a stressed relationship with my oldest son. Haven't seen him in two years. Had dinner with him and his girlfriend. Good first date to rebuild the relationship. Any songs come to mind? It was a nice homecoming.

08-20-2014, 07:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww4v2cP-MDo

08-20-2014, 07:47 PM
ok you'd need to work around the lipstick stain on the coffee cup....................

but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ICtCO8TCw

ok ok basically just an excuse for me to watch the guys in the best boy band ever get a little moist, but nonetheless, a beautiful song

dickadcock
08-21-2014, 03:56 AM
Texarkana, U.S.A.

That was enough of an address, without a state, but the Arkansas or Texas distinction became important when dealing with high school football or alcohol. Bowie County (TX) was and is "dry" (no alcohol sales allowed, including rail & air). Miller County (AR) — which once claimed a large area in East Texas — is wet. So you might have to walk across the street, and just accept that that's the way it is. That street is called State Line Avenue, and one side of the street is in one state, the other, another.

A city in 2 states is not that unusual, but this area was once the US - Republic of Texas border, after being the US- Mexico border, the US-Spanish Empire border, and the French (Napoleonic) Empire- Spanish Empire border. Napoleon was one of the first real estate flippers.

Texarkana wasn't around for any of the above mentioned historical borders, but was created by RR companies connecting there in the 1870s. The last time I went there,a few years ago, I took the train down for a memorial service for my mother. It took 2 days. Plenty of time to think. It seemed to me like it ought to have been a memorial service for the town, as well.

I would have loved to do some Scott Joplin for this week. Another few years of practice, maybe.
This is Earth Angel by Jesse Belvin of TXK. Needs lots of bass, doo wops, etc … Add your own.

http://youtu.be/PdzQANmaDqI

FiL
08-21-2014, 04:21 AM
You don't hear many writing about Trenton either ... funny dat.

Bob Mould, "Brasilia Crossed With Trenton (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llOksyhZ8Qg)" from his awesome first solo album, "Workbook."

- FiL

cua94
08-21-2014, 04:26 AM
Cass Elliot was born in Baltimore, Maryland and later moved to Alexandria, Virginia. I grew up in Northern Virginia and now I live a bit south of Baltimore. So I figured this one might work for this season.

http://youtu.be/QkOsvWQmPeQ

UkeCan1
08-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Bob Mould, "Brasilia Crossed With Trenton (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llOksyhZ8Qg)" from his awesome first solo album, "Workbook."

- FiL

FiLopedia to the rescue! That's a great song ... new to me. I hope Mike does it.

And then, of course, there's this:
http://www.mikeagranoff.com/lyrics/Trenton.htm
http://www.mikeagranoff.com/audio/Plugged/Plugged_Clips/11-Trenton_clip.mp3

Alas, though Mike Agranoff is a talented songwriter, this one is a recitation, so you'd have to write your own tune.
He's from Boonton, not Trenton, so, you know ... Thornton rule.

[Boonton, Trenton, Thornton ... sounds like a song right there!
Of course we in New Jersey do not pronounce the 'nt' in any of those.]

PhillyV
08-21-2014, 01:19 PM
I covered a Hootie and the Blowfish song because two of the band members, Mark Bryan and Dean Felber, grew up and graduated from a rival high school. And there is a possibility that Bryan and I were born in the same hospital in Silver Spring, MD. So that's that. Now the challenge part for me was writing an original song. So I took the chord progression and slowed things down and added my own lyrics.
You wanted to learn a little about my and I tried to share that in my song. If I had to pick a year that was my "coming of age" year it would be 1992. I was sneaking out with friends. We'd climb the roofs of nearby business and just stare up at the stars. We'd skip school and spend the day bumming quarters from passerbys to play arcade games at the Village Cafe. And falling in love. Sighhhhh...

http://youtu.be/LbefslD79iI

Tootler
08-21-2014, 02:38 PM
I've been at Whitby Folk Festival for the last few days so no checking on the seasons but I did get some uking in by going to singarounds in the evenings. The afternoons were spent playing other instruments in sessions and I went to a couple of singing workshops and a songwriting one, so a great couple of days.

Back the seasons and my next entry by a local lad.

Chris Rea was born and grew up in Middlesbrough. His father had an ice cream business and chain of cafes but none of his children wanted to continue the business so he ran it down and closed down eventually when he retired. Chris Rea is a very much underrated songwriter in my opinion. This is a cover of his most commercially successful record. I managed to get the whole lot done but I'm not sure how effective it is. There is a lot to do to improve it but here is my version, warts and all.

The video is of local scenes taken by me.

http://youtu.be/seRQoo0kB9Q

jamz
08-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Love this idea! I lived around or in Boston most of my life, and I work there now. I'm Boston to the bone. There are SO MANY songs about Boston.

I have a few lined up, all new to me, and it's been great learning (sort of) them.

jamz
08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Here we go! First song, from the Dropkick Murphys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SITY5AP5eSY&list=UUSkFBWJvLJwMKTes5-LcQ0A

TCK
08-21-2014, 06:07 PM
BOSTON REPRESENT! Way to bring the Murphy's to the show...An old Skinhead in Cloverdale is yelling Oi!Oi!Oi! Bloody brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SITY5AP5eSY&list=UUSkFBWJvLJwMKTes5-LcQ0A

Markwo
08-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Oh brother! Well I was born in Jacksonville, Florida back in 1970. But we moved to Orlando, which I consider my hometown, the next year - the same year Walt Disney World opened. Needless to say, the city has grown exponentially ever since and it really isn't the same town I grew up in. Everyone associates Central Florida with Disney and other theme parks, but there is more to the area. I'm only an hours drive East or West to a beach on either coast of Florida. I always preferred the East coast because there are waves there. I don't surf anymore but I still love the beach. Orlando thinks of itself as a big city, but it's not. Everything is very spread out and it takes 15 minutes by car to go anywhere. A car is a necessity. It is called "the City Beautiful" and it is kind of. It's very flat here, but we do have lots of lakes and woods and springs and alligators and manatees and other nature type stuff. I live in my favorite part of Orlando - downtown. Downtown Orlando is a pretty cool place. It is the "historic" area with Craftsman Bungalows and brick streets and independent restaurants and bars and shops. Any non-American would laugh at historic because our oldest houses like the one I live in we're built in the 1920s. Americans have to travel abroad to have a real sense of history. Anyhoo. - enough rambling. Musically speaking, most of the major acts that have come from here are manufactured boy bands like the Backstreet Boys and Nsync and O'town and the like. I hate boy bands so it is unfortunate for me that I felt I had to do this. I feel ashamed and belittled and I hope that none of you will hold this against me or think it represents me. That is all.

http://youtu.be/gK-cNNpAa00

Markwo
08-21-2014, 06:45 PM

That....was.....awesome! Excellent choice. Love some Dropkick Murphy's. Any song that shouts Oi!Oi!Oi! is kind of automatically awesome.

08-21-2014, 07:12 PM
I hate boy bands
OH GOSH i loved your vid

i wish i'd lived in manchester at some point

or that take that had a strong london link (apart from playing humungous gigs there) so that i could do one of their songs

:( me=sad

TCK
08-21-2014, 07:38 PM
"Hey Bev...remember that time Mark played the Back Street Boys?"
This will bring me a smile for a long time- Mark- you have got some guts. LOVE THIS
OH GOSH i loved your vid

i wish i'd lived in manchester at some point

or that take that had a strong london link (apart from playing humungous gigs there) so that i could do one of their songs

:( me=sad

08-21-2014, 08:28 PM
"Hey Bev...remember that time Mark played the Back Street Boys?"
these are the moments

that never get forgotten

:bowdown: the legend that is markwo

TCK
08-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Agreed entirely
these are the moments

that never get forgotten

RAB11
08-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Guys I'm really sorry for slacking the last couple of days, it's been one of those weeks.

I do however have the flat to myself tonight so I'll be on a massive viewing and commenting session. Loving the odd video I've managed to see since Tuesday, especially Markwo. You da man.

08-21-2014, 08:42 PM
*squeal of excitement as our host swings by*

note to self : GET OVER THE BOY BAND THING ALREADY, WOMAN!

myrnaukelele
08-21-2014, 09:05 PM
When I left Chicago at 18 for college I ended up at Western Illinois University. Some of you may have heard of Burl Ives - he was a big guy who sang folk songs and kid songs. Anyway Ives was born in western Illinois and the WIU library (where I worked as an undergraduate) has many of his papers and personal effects in their archives. Pearly Shells is an old Hawaiian song. Burl Ives sang it often.

http://youtu.be/CG08BHLacKY
There's a couple of mistakes in this vid - I say Season 132 and sing "pretty shells" instead of "little shells" at the end. But I had no time to redo it. Sigh.

jamz
08-22-2014, 04:12 AM
One more, Jonathan Richman, another great Boston talent. He and the Modern Lovers have a bunch of well known songs, plus a lot of lesser known ones like this one.... I didn't do it very well, so apologies in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqy-epEeT4A&list=UUSkFBWJvLJwMKTes5-LcQ0A

jamz
08-22-2014, 04:14 AM
Tessie! Another Dropkick Murphys song. Go Red Sox! Maybe next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyq_E23znQk&list=UUSkFBWJvLJwMKTes5-LcQ0A

jamz
08-22-2014, 04:15 AM
Finally, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones with a little tune called "Rascal King".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNwVJIONdl4&list=UUSkFBWJvLJwMKTes5-LcQ0A

jamz
08-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Oh brother! Well I was born in Jacksonville, Florida back in 1970. But we moved to Orlando, which I consider my hometown, the next year - the same year Walt Disney World opened. Needless to say, the city has grown exponentially ever since and it really isn't the same town I grew up in. Everyone associates Central Florida with Disney and other theme parks, but there is more to the area. I'm only an hours drive East or West to a beach on either coast of Florida. I always preferred the East coast because there are waves there. I don't surf anymore but I still love the beach. Orlando thinks of itself as a big city, but it's not. Everything is very spread out and it takes 15 minutes by car to go anywhere. A car is a necessity. It is called "the City Beautiful" and it is kind of. It's very flat here, but we do have lots of lakes and woods and springs and alligators and manatees and other nature type stuff. I live in my favorite part of Orlando - downtown. Downtown Orlando is a pretty cool place. It is the "historic" area with Craftsman Bungalows and brick streets and independent restaurants and bars and shops. Any non-American would laugh at historic because our oldest houses like the one I live in we're built in the 1920s. Americans have to travel abroad to have a real sense of history. Anyhoo. - enough rambling. Musically speaking, most of the major acts that have come from here are manufactured boy bands like the Backstreet Boys and Nsync and O'town and the like. I hate boy bands so it is unfortunate for me that I felt I had to do this. I feel ashamed and belittled and I hope that none of you will hold this against me or think it represents me. That is all.

I'm not a fan of boy bands either, but this song on uke sounds really great! Amazingly well played and sung! I'm listening to it a few times, really fantastic.

mikef
08-22-2014, 05:22 AM
Barbablanca and my good self performing Berni's entry for SOTU 131... at my house!
There was tea & biscuits & a wonderful time was had!!! Turns out he's just as lovely in the flesh :)

(uploaded by me as Berni's "on the road" with little web access)

http://youtu.be/b70PLN3M4dQ

p.s. The logo at the beginning is my attempt at wit aimed at our fellow Brits :)

RAB11
08-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Right, before I start the mammoth task (thanks for the great output guys) of catching up here's my third vid.

When I was 10 my dad's work again took us all overseas, this time to Sydney. More specifically the Northern Beaches. More specifically a sort of tri-suburb area that consisted of Frenchs Forrest, Belrose and Davidson. We live in all three at one point or another, and I attended Davidson High School from 2004 until I finished my exams aged 17 in 2009. A week after those exams I moved back here but that's a different story because many years before my time there, a kid named Andrew Farriss met another kid called Michael Hutchence at Davidson High. Many years after that they formed a little band called INXS.

So when I got my first guitar, this was one of the first songs I learned to play and sing all the way through, and I auditioned with it for the school's performing arts show, hoping to play the nostalgia card because many of the parents of the kids in my year grew up with the INXS lads. Unfortunately six months' experience with a guitar, power chords with no distortion and a complete lack of mic technique meant I didn't get the spot, but the song has stayed in my repertoire ever since and the performing bug most definitely has. I've gotten a lot better at playing it too, although I've only this week started doing a couple different things with it on the uke.

In this video I'm wearing my Year 12 leavers jumper from Davo. Still fits. Just.

http://youtu.be/hLn-AOUpylQ

wee_ginga_yin
08-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Another Burns love song with a bit of poetry preamble.

Check out Karen Matheson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJGaRb3WCT4) singing the song or Andy M Stewart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBCQMWMbeMU)

http://youtu.be/clTedYSlLGU

RAB11
08-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Caught up. Comments on YouTube. If I've missed you or you think I've given you a rubbish comment give me a kick up the arse.

You guys are great.

Markwo
08-22-2014, 11:50 AM
these are the moments

that never get forgotten

Legend??? I don't think most people have even noticed me yet! .....in that case maybe I don't even exist and that would make me a legend! You are much too kind to me - Thank you.

CTurner
08-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Here's my entry, for the great place Ginny and I have been living for almost 30 years!

Mr. James Taylor is, pretty much, Mr. North Carolina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3vn9LJi8j4

UkeCan1
08-22-2014, 01:03 PM
D'oh! I've been attempting all week to find a good song to cover for the four years of my life I spent at my alma mater in Cambridge, Mass ... no, not that one ... the other one ... suggestions still welcome. (Yeah, not feeling "More Than a Feeling", though that band seems like a perfect fit.)

I took a few moments out Wednesday night to jump on that other non-homecoming thread that Birdseye and Rex started where we are all covering the same song (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?99853-Seasonistas-do-The-Breakup-Song).

Today our host covered it too. He pointed me to the guitar tab he used to pick the intro (http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/g/greg_kihn_band/break_up_song_ver3_crd.htm) ... brilliantly, I might add ... and there I see that the song was on an album called "Beserkley's Best".

Hey, wait a minute ... that can only mean one thing! Sure enough, says Wickedpedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greg_Kihn_Band), Greg Kihn spent some time working at a Berkeley, California (across the bay from San Francisco) record store in the early '70's, and apparently recorded his first record there.

Serendipity, this apparent sidetrack counts! 'Cause my other alma mater, where I did my grad school year, was UC Berkeley.

Thank you, Lynda, Rex, and Ryan! I would never in a million years have come up with this on my own, but it's totally perfect.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you ... "The Breakup Song".

http://youtu.be/-A0yBi69gXI

Here's my Berkeley story:

When you grow up in the northeast, the land of California is a mystical, mythical place that we all aspire to live in, or at least visit, one day.

So after four years of working very hard on an engineering degree in a bleak cold (but very stimulating) city, I thanked Cornell very much for its many generous offers and phone calls to entice me to the even bleaker colder (but also very stimulating city) of Ithaca, New York.

And I opted instead for a year or so of fun in the sun, in the far warmer, friendlier, and even more stimulating city of Berkeley, California. Yes, indeed ... it was a totally geographically based, and weather-based choice. And I was very pleased with that part of the bargain, and still am.

Academically, I wasn't all that happy with the classes I could get there, and the engineering corner of campus was very isolated from all the cool fun things I found to do on the opposite corner of campus and in and around Berkeley. It's a great institution, I'm quite sure, and I know many others who've had an excellent time there academically ... it was just poor timing and bad luck in my case.

Or perhaps good luck ... because I ended up with exactly what I wanted. I did just enough work to complete my degree and learn one or two useful things there, especially on my independent masters project, which was quite enlightening.

But I blew off a lot of classes and class work in favor of attending a whole lot of great movies (the UC Cinema was my second home for 5 or 6 double feature evenings a week), fabulous meals (it's a restaurant mecca), and outdoor fun in the sun.

My classmates thought me irresponsible and were hard at work, and so I learned to attend movies on my own and find social engagement elsewhere.

Second semester, after noticing that I got pretty much exactly the same grades as the others and had a whole lot more fun than them, one of my classmates decided to occasionally join me in goofing off and playing. (Hmmm, sounds a bit like my current uke life, hey?)

Berkeley is one of the most beautiful cities on earth. The view of the hills and San Francisco and the Bay are simply stunning, the weather is terrific year-round (when it isn't raining), and those fabled hills give you a whole lot of exercise.

Ironically, my mom moved out to the Bay Area shortly after my dad died, many years after I returned east, mostly to visit her and Dad in NJ ... where I've ended up staying for almost two decades now! My brother, my only sibling, and his family, also ended up just outside Berkeley ... about two blocks from where I lived when I was there.

So at least I still get to visit occasionally! I still think from time to time about moving back there ... it's such a great place. But you get a whole lot less home for your money out there ... it's one of the most expensive places in the US ... and, you know ... I have a pretty great life here.

But hey, you never know ... one day, perhaps?

PS: When you're all done over here posting your homecoming songs, take a few minutes to come over there and join the Breakup Song party (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?99853-Seasonistas-do-The-Breakup-Song). Especially if you have Berkeley or San Francisco roots!

Tootler
08-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Here is my third entry, another Chris Rea song.

Middlesbrough has seen big changes during the time I've been here. It was a steel town but when I arrived in 1978, most of the ironworks had closed and if you took the train from Middlesbrough along the Tees past the Mouth of the river to Redcar, you passed closed down ironworks after closed down ironworks. Since then, the ironworks have been taken down and for a long time along the river was just a moonscape. Gradually, though there has been rebuilding though not yet finished and the town looks very different now. The river is less polluted and seals have returned to the salt marshes and there are fish in the lower river. They have built a barrage across the river so the tidal river only extends short distance upstream of Middlesbrough. On one occasion I was at the barrage and there were seals catching fish by the barrage. Wonderful to see. There is still an ironworks out near the Teesmouth, though that closed for a while but has recently reopened.

Probably, Middlesbrough's most famous monument is the Sydney Harbour Bridge built by Dorman Long of Middlesbrough and her most famous son is Capt. James Cook who was born in Marton, the district where I live. At the time of Cook's birth, Middlesbrough was just a farm and Marton was a village. The old village centre is still there. but surrounded by more modern housing. Cook was one of the finest navigators the world has seen and his charts of the St. Lawrence river were still in use until about 10 - 15 years ago, they were that accurate. He died in Hawaii - killed as a result of a misunderstanding.

Anyway to my next song. Steel River by Chris Rea is about the Tees. It deals with the disappointment you get if you come back to a place after a long absence and find it so changed that places you knew have gone or are now unrecognisable. The last verse is kind of bitter sweet as the fact there are salmon in the river means it's clean but it also means that the industries that gave people their livelihoods have gone and meaning has gone from many people's lives. Because of all the changes, I'm not sure if I want to go back to Aberdeen - part of me does to see what it's like and part of me doesn't.

The pictures that cross the screen are all ancestors of mine and they date back to about 1750 with the sillhouettes. The faded colour photo at the end is of my grandparents. All lived in the local area, mostly on the other side of the river in Stockton though my Grandfather grew up in Saltburn, just down the coast and my Grandmother came from Egton a village on the North York Moors.

http://youtu.be/Igl0bv8RXBM

mattydee
08-22-2014, 04:08 PM
<TCK>I grew up in Reseda, California, which is part of the San Fernando Valley (of Valley Girl fame), which is itself a part of Los Angeles, which isn't so much a place as it is a collection of urbs and sub-urbs. Reseda has two really big claims to fame, both of which are pieces of 80s pop culture. The first is that the Karate Kid moved there from New Jersey, so the movie basically takes place in my hometown. The second is a throwaway line in a song that I hope to have as my second entry. But I used the bulk of today recording my first. Anyway, I spent ages 0-17 in the sprawl, and the summer before high school, a single was released by a new band which had arisen from the LA glam rock tradition, but with a harder edge, and a hugely talented roster. (There had been an earlier single, but this one was clearly the golden cut). A few years later, in my senior year, we had this weird sort of event for grad night where instead of going to Disneyland (which is what every other class had done for years), the booster club set up the campus as a huge carnival, and in the cafetorium was a stage where you could do some crazy costumed karaoke. My greatest pals and I did this song. Somewhere there is a VHS cassette of Geoff G. in a hula skirt, Ian P. in a top hat, and me in a CBGB sleeveless tee, tearing this thing up.

Flash forward: 18 years later, I picked up a uke for the first time, and after getting my bearings for a month or two, one of the first riffs I learned was the opening to this tune, and then I would do a sweet little ukified simple version - opening riff into basic chords and lyrics. Done. As I started to perform more with the uke, I thought I should at least work up the mini solos, so I started to do that a bit this year. But for this season, I worked up a much more filled out version of the tune. The biggest thing I did was learn a modified version of the huge solo. It's more like the radio edit in length, and I'm no Slash, and it still needs LOTS of work, but for a few days practice... </TCK>

Anyway, here's my first entry. As I said, I have another I'd like to do, but this one took all my time (and voice) for the day, and we go out of town tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have to try to squeeze it in tomorrow morning. It is MUCH easier than this one, so I have high hopes.

http://youtu.be/LknjQ1KxfuA

Jazzbanjorex
08-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Another Tulsa Music Icon. Roy Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gWdgRbk0uQ&feature=youtu.be

ukuleledaddy
08-22-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm fortunate to have come from a place (the San Francisco Bay Area) rich with musical history, and to have moved to a place with a very vibrant music scene (Portland). This one comes from San Francisco. Just after graduating from college I lived on my dad's sailboat. I was a bit of a loner those days. I'd spend most nights sitting on the deck of the boat with a six pack and my smokes and listen to Stan Getz and Astrid Gilberto and melancholy songs like this one by Chris Isaak (who spent all of his early career in San Francisco).

On a side note, John (29Moons) just moved here to Portland this week. That makes five of us here.

On another side note, I met Russ (Thunderflea) tonight and watched him perform at a Hawaiian restaurant. Great show and a super nice guy.

Here's The End Of Everything by Chris Isaak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFUv6XqIFs&list=UUwOfmPtmH0q5v_XIFVIWYsA

myrnaukelele
08-22-2014, 07:37 PM
<TCK> I headed north in my 20s to the beautiful state of Wisconsin, which I dearly love. Madison, Wisconsin to be exact- the state capitol and home to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Just one mile separates the beautiful domed capitol building, seat of the state's political power, from the UW-Madison campus and its 42,000 students. Needless to say Madison has some of the most politically aware and politically active people I've ever met. An interesting city for sure. And one with a very vibrant and active music scene. It was there that I appeared onstage for the first time (at the Wild Hog in the Woods coffeehouse which still exists today). I also started playing in bands and at folk festivals while living in Madison. And I bought my first guitar and ukulele at a music store there. I spent eight years in Madison, eventually getting my Master's degree and starting work as a librarian. One of our favorite bars to go to listen to music was the Club de Wash (housed in an old hotel built in the 1880s which burned down in 1996). Peter and Lou Berryman were two of my favorite musicians. Peter plays guitar and Lou plays accordian and their clever songs always make me laugh. Here's one of my favorites. </TCK>

http://youtu.be/RgL62php2PA

UkeCan1
08-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Ooh! Big-time Berrymans fan. Which I'm sure will surprise absolutely no one.

Myrna, this is great ... and a new one to me. Love your squalid "set". Awesome. We should do "Double Yodel". :)

TCK
08-22-2014, 08:37 PM
<TCK>Thanks guys for throwing the rule out there...I love ya's</TCK>

lelouden
08-22-2014, 09:13 PM
RAB, This week has given me the opportunity to do some studying and reminiscing on the town that I grew up in. It would be wrong of me to not include my mother this week. She was a brilliant guitarist, singer and classical pianist. She married at nearly 18 and had 5 children before she was 25. I did this video for her posterity. Now that she is gone I realize the importance of sharing these things with her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Thank you for this week Ryan!

In the 60's when the new folk singing carriers started to boom, Mom was playing on the same bill with the young J Denver, L Ronstadt, G yarbrough and many more. She received a phone call in the mid 60's from Randy Sparks. He was told she was the best female guitarist and vocalist around and wanted her to be a part of The New Christy Minstrels. She was faced with a life changing choice. Because she had a large young family she turned that offer down and remained a dedicated wife and mother. That decision was a great blessing to us and a great blessing to the town of Mesa. She was a teacher to hundreds of local children between the 50s and 70's. She was the pianist for her church at the age of 12 and was the choir director for most of her adult life.

In 1950 Mesa's population was 16,790 and by 1970 it grew to 63,049. Today, Mesa is the third largest city in Arizona, population 439,041.

Before 1960 there was only one High School in our town, but due to the climbing growth in 1962 there was a need for an additional High School. At the age of 27 my mother wrote the Alma Mater for the new rival H.S. called Westwood.

Funny thing is that until the past few days I didn't know how this song went. I have the original hand written music but I can not read music. All day thursday I sat and basically tried to figure the song out. Not one of us 5 children were taught to read music. There was just not time in the day to teach her own children to play. She did show me middle C and I did learn Every Good Boy Does Fine and F A C E :) I hope I have figured it out correctly. I think it is pretty close! Because it is an "alma mater" and not a "fight" song it is to be sung reverently.

However, I am not very reverent. I don't like rules, and ...I have sung it to a drum line:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaE0d1PeILI&list=UUZLptu1kN-j1JcDvEoHdyLQ

TCK
08-22-2014, 09:52 PM
<TCK>When I was 18 I moved to Sonoma County, unceremoniously, as I realized I was the only person in college who showed up on the first day without parents.
I remember walking into my dorm and meeting my room mate...and throwing an old army duffle on the ground. This was nice- a lot nicer than the truck I had lived in for the last three months, and I am thankful my folks paid for it (and a few semesters here and there)...not going to lie- I wished they were there. My room mates mom took all my belongings out and started folding them.
I asked what she was doing...she said being a mom. Then she took me to target and asked if I needed anything (soap would be nice). I always felt bad that my friend had to share his mom with me that day, but I was glad she was there and felt like things may eventually start to look up for me. I never thanked her, but yeah- I will tomorrow for sure.
Living in Sonoma County- the first thing you realize is that you are surrounded by hippies. It took a while to calm the feral kid...GOD I hated this aesthetic...but eventually it gets under your skin, and you begin to see what these folks are on about. This place has a certain calm that I have carried since shortly after I moved here, and I will never leave (unless they price me out- which they may do) . Didn't hurt that I fell in love with the gentlest person I had ever met...the Cloverdale Kid was smitten, and softened, and completely unashamed to admit that all those things that repelled him were now OK.
Don't get me wrong- I ain't gonna start doing hula hoop seminars at the Kate Wolf Festival, but I love me an old hippie laying it down, and we here in Sonoma have the privilege of offering up one of our local goat farmers (what the hell do you do with goats?) as an esteemed member of that hippie choir...
which is all well and good as long as they use the side door.
I realize that I have vilified my parents in these posts...that tattoo on my chest says "Mama Tried" for those interested. I was more the bad guy than anyone (they simply gave up, and maybe rightfully so). This place has fixed me for good...well, this place and a very special lady.
This is for Alan- Norman Greenbaum. Spirit In The Sky </TCK>
Welcome to Sonoma County my friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGU3UIGEwdo&feature=youtu.be

TCK
08-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Blessings...
<TCK> If it's even half as much as we love you mate then we are all overflowing in the arms of...</TCK>

UkeCan1
08-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Something not a lot of people know about me is that, though I was born in the US capital, Washington, DC, and am therefore a died-in-the-wool Yank, I am also a naturalized Australian citizen ... I'm a dual national.

I lived and traveled there for three years in the early '90's - in Sydney (which I hope to do a song about later), and in three different places in the Northern Territory ("the Territree") ... a state 1.5 times the size of Texas, with a total population of about 150,000. (My numbers are from then ... about 20 years ago ... they may be different today. But I suspect not that different.)

I lived in three of its four most populous cities ... Alice Springs (20,000), Tennant Creek (3,500), and the capital city of Darwin (80,000), then back to Tennant Creek, which I consider my Australian home.

There was some terrific music there. Tiny Tennant Creek, believe it or not, had two extended festivals in the short time I was there ... a 9-day local festival of the arts and culture when I first arrived, where I quickly got to know lots of my neighbors - the perfect way to integrate into my new home ... and a multi-day music fest that was part of a nationwide AusMusic festival ... it was taking place in all the large and capital cities ... and Tennant Creek. Many great touring bands played our little town that week. And other times as well! For its minuscule size and isolated location (the nearest larger place, Alice Springs ... with the nearest mall and cinema ... was 500 kilometers / 300 miles / 5 hours drive away), Tennant Creek was quite the cultural mecca.

When my job in Tennant Creek ended and I was simultaneously offered a longer-term job in the capital city of Darwin, I reluctantly moved north. Darwin is on the northern coast, in the tropics, has beautiful beaches and perfect weather half the year (dry season) ... and stultifying heat, humidity, and monsoons (if you're lucky) the other half (wet season).

When I arrived, knowing no one, I followed an ad in the local end-of-driveway weekly paper, and discovered Scottish Country Dancing. This led to a great new community of friends and a whole lot more forms of dancing. Dancing almost every night was my social scene in Darwin.

Weekends and some evenings during dry season I spent at the many terrific outdoor markets and outdoor performances. I took an 8-week percussion workshop that culminated in our group participating in three different ways in a big downtown celebration of something or other. Darwin in the dry is a wonderful place to be.

Once I'd been in Aus as a permanent resident for two years, I was able to apply for citizenship. Citizenship was way easier (and about 1/7 as expensive) than permanent residency, so it seemed a no-brainer to go for it.

I got my citizenship in Wyndham, Western Australia (not the NT), while I spent a number of weeks managing a backpackers (= hostel), while the owner took a much needed vacation. It was a B&B, so every morning I cooked a yummy hot breakfast for my small group of temporary guest companions.

Wyndham's another outback-y kind of place, on the north coast of Aussie. It has beautiful beaches, but you cannot swim in them, because ... crocodiles. Australia has many deadly critters, and you must respect them if you wish to continue coexisting alongside them.

There's one road in to Wyndham ... and it crosses a usually dry river some hundreds of kilometers from town. Except that once in a while, the river runs and floods the road, and if you are in Wyndham you will have to stay there until the river decides to come down again.

That happened while I was running the backpackers, trapping a newlywed couple and a group of truckers with me for some unpredictable number of days.

Fortunately, there was a hotel alongside the swollen river, which is otherwise in the middle of nowhere, or "back of beyond" as they say there. So every day I called the hotel to check on the river level, until I could report to my charges that it was safe to drive out. Needless to say, I did not have to check in any new guests during that time either.

There's not all that much to do in Wyndham after the first day, so we entertained each other in the hostel. I think we watched a lot of sunsets over the ocean from the big hill with the view.

One day while I was there, my citizenship application came through and my friend in Tennant Creek who was fetching my mail forwarded it to me there. I set up an appointment and went to a tiny agency office in town. My citizenship ceremony consisted of me and two officials, a man and a woman.

Australia had only recently dropped its longstanding requirement that new citizens pledge an oath of allegiance to the Queen. Yes, Aus still had / has? the Queen. Now, if you grew up in a country that overthrew British royalty 200+ years earlier because we were not treated all that well by that empire at that time, it seems a bit bizarre at best to have to pledge an oath to a figurehead from a whole other country half a world away. So I was really grateful for the timing.

Instead, I was allowed to opt for an affirmation of citizenship. The affirmation was all about my adopted country's values ... things like freedom and equality and democracy ... the same kinds of things my own country was ostensibly founded upon. Saying the affirmation brought tears to my eyes. It was a really moving ceremony, and at the end of it, I was a citizen of the country I'd made my home for nearly three years.

Recounting the story is bringing tears to my eyes again.

Australia is a beautiful country filled with wonderful characters and amazing sights and adventures. It's not just "the US with accents", like I naively thought before I ended up there. It's unique and wild and friendly and fascinating and fun. I highly recommend a visit to anyone who has not yet been there.

Do the NT!

Oh, right ... maybe you also want to see the video?

You might think, after seeing all those great bands, that I'd remember at least one I wanted to cover. But alas, not a one. I even had a friend in Darwin with a band with one of the best / funniest band names I ever heard ... I went to see them all the time and loved their music ... and I have not even been able to remember their name for years ... or my friend Kevin's last name.

So early this week, I asked my friend Pabrizzer, and he immediately suggested this catchy ad jingle that's being used in the "Do the NT" promotion for Northern Territory tourism. The ads are stunning, and bring back great memories, and the song is terrific.

We looked further, and he discovered the original song, "Ends in the Ocean", by the terrific Dave Baxter who calls himself (with or without band) Avalanche City. Who, alas, is not only not a Territorian ... he's not even Aussie. He's a Kiwi ... from New Zealand. Where I have never been, because when I lived in Sydney and could have gone there quite easily, I was awaiting my permanent residency and could not leave the country.

But wait! We have this thing here in the Seasons that has lately come to be known as the Thornton rule, which I hereby invoke. Because this is the perfect NT song, in spite of its provenance, and I have done it anyway.

Dave Baxter / Avalanche City have a pretty fascinating story too. Even if he is a Kiwi.

http://youtu.be/kUn9oEIAiyA

Here's the original song (http://youtu.be/GNc8SzWvoMg), which is quite different from how I ended up doing it. I rather suspect that might be an 8-string banjo uke that Dave Baxter is playing in the video, though folks on line have all guessed banjo mandolin.

I started out to do it like the original on my soprano Flea. But I just could not find a key that fit my voice, sounded right on the soprano, and was playable. It really wanted to be in A, and my E chords are just not clean enough yet for that to work.

I've recently acquired temporary custody of FiL's new-ish Mainland baritone, and was looking for opportunities to play it anyway. Well, A is a much easier key to play on the bari than on a C-tuned uke ... it's like playing in D. But the baritone turned it into a whole different song.

First of all it sounds completely different in the lower register, with the non-re-entrant tuning. Secondly, I cannot yet fast strum clean chords and changes like I can on the soprano, so I switched to fingerpicking. And had to do it slower.

So it has transformed from this joyous bright upbeat folk rock anthem to a delicate ballad ... well, as delicate as my brand new baritone fingers can accomplish.

Also, here's the Tennant Creek version of the "Do the NT" ad (http://youtu.be/q73ouS54eOw).

Do the NT!

Tootler
08-23-2014, 02:55 AM
I went to University in Salford, had four fantastic years and came out with a degree in Chemical Engineering.

Salford is an industrial city next door to Manchester but it proudly maintain its distinction from Manchester. When I was there it was in decline as the main industry, cotton was dying. There was still evidence of the old industrial past with rows of terraced housing and smoking chimneys and there were still dreadful smogs in my first year but the clean air legislation was beginning to bite and the smogs were in decline and we never had any as bad in the later years I was there.

Ewan MacColl, a major figure in the folk revival in the UK, grew up in Salford. His parents were Scots but had moved to Lancashire to find work in the 1930s. He was born Jimmy Miller but adopted the name Ewan MacColl in a conscious move to stress his Scots ancestry. He was a fine singer of traditional ballads and also a fine songwriter. He wrote Dirty Old Town about Salford, though it has gone round the world and everyone thinks it applies to their town. The line "Smelled the spring on the smoky wind" was originally "Smelled the smoke on the Salford wind" and that's how I first heard it. Salford's city Fathers were not exactly pleased about that so he changed it and in the process, created a song of universal appeal.

Last time I went to Salford it had completely changed and the old terraced housing has gone. The area round the docks at the end of the Ship Canal has been completely redeveloped and there is a concert hall, restaurants bars etc. in place of the docks. I had parked on the outskirts and took a tram to Manchester City Centre which took me through all the "new" Salford. It was interesting but I kind of felt like Chris Rea must have felt when he came back to Middlesbrough after a long absence. "It's Salford, Jim but not as we know it" :D Yes there are vast improvements but some of the old character has gone. Salford University has changed too. It has a nice modern campus but in a funny way, I miss some of the ramshakle buildings we had many of our lectures in.

http://youtu.be/wlS8lbOGdwI

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing but it's a mistake to overindulge in it. Still Dirty Old Town is a great song.

barefootgypsy
08-23-2014, 03:11 AM
Growing up in Birmingham (England) gives me no excuses in finding artists and songs... so this is entry number three from, trying to squeeze stuff in before we leave for a couple of days away in an hour or so..... I'll miss the end of the Season. Ryan, it's great to read all these stories; one of the best Seasons ever, for sure...
When I was 17 I met a young man who introduced me to the folk scene. A club that I went to every single week (I was very keen) was the one run by the Ian Campbell Folk Group. They performed this Ewan MacColl song regularly (father also of Kirsty MacColl) and it suited Birmingham very well in the 1960's, as the city still had many bomb damaged buildings from WW2. If you know the band UB40, Ian Campbell was Ali Campbell's father. "Dirty Old Town"

http://youtu.be/LNYxTVzJOkg

barefootgypsy
08-23-2014, 03:30 AM
Another Burns love song with a bit of poetry preamble.

Check out Karen Matheson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJGaRb3WCT4) singing the song or Andy M Stewart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBCQMWMbeMU)

http://youtu.be/clTedYSlLGU
Fabulous, Rob! Just at the end of June....
Dumfries, by Burns house, and the Mausoleum.... the house, his last home, was very interesting, lots of documents and letters - he wrote the poem there, and scratched his name on the bedroom window with his diamond ring! Cheers... and thanks for the song! Such a beautiful one and a real favourite...

barefootgypsy
08-23-2014, 04:12 AM
I could write the history of my youth with songs in this Season! Ozzie Osbourne grew up at the same time a me in a suburb of Birmingham just a couple of miles away - And during the last 20 years I've lived very close to Roy Wood's home (of Wizzard) and we used to see him about just a mile away.... he has moved away now... and how could I not do a Jeff Lynne song! Run out of time, that's how. Birmingham has been a great musical nursery. Here's my fourth and last entry, by the Moody Blues. Denny Laine joined the Diplomats, a local band who played at dances I went to - they became Denny Laine and the Diplomats. Then he joined the Moody Blues, and after that "Wings" I did this in two takes, it could be better - am losing my voice.

http://youtu.be/FH7n2iY3MjY

UkeCan1
08-23-2014, 04:21 AM
Wendy that story is so full of awesome I can't begin to tell you. Made my day. Thanks for sharing it. haven't spent a lot of time in the NT but for a month a few years back now (dry season). Me and my girlfriend based ourselves in Darwin at her dad's place and travelled round Kakadu, down to Alice and Tennant Creek also. Her dad had a pretty warped angle on Tennant Creek from a couple of years spent there as a paramedic whose daily exercise it was to deal with the indigenous folks who were caught in the throes of drug, alcohol abuse and violence. I think the locals these days called it TFC: Tennant F***ING Creek. But the Territory is a magical place. Especially loved the night-time beach markets in Darwin and the scenery, creeks, waterfalls, cliffs in Kakadu, swimming and the rest of it. Special memory to me for sure. Loved the tune mate, cheers.

Jon, first of all ... thanks for reading my whole novel! When I posted it I thought, this is so much text, I've spent all this time and got to recount all these great memories ... and now who's gonna read all that?!

Second, I'm so glad it moved you. There's plenty more where that came from ... I could share stories of my Australian and other adventures till the cows come home. But I had to stop somewhere and catch an hour or two of sleep. :)

It's funny ... most non-aboriginal people who spend time in Tennant Creek are, not surprisingly, from elsewhere. And since the main industries are gold mining and health care for the locals, most white folk there are one or the other.

I came into town with my doctor boyfriend, who worked at the hospital, and he had a similar experience to your girlfriend's dad. He was on call every third day, and spent much of his time dealing with drunks and violence. He did not think much of that population, and he hated Tennant Creek before we even got there. (I loved it before we got there. Both those relationships continued once we actually met the place. Funny that.)

He had a great respect for the kids though. Before TC we spent 7 weeks in Alice Springs, where he did a paediatric rotation. The aboriginal kids all had runny noses all the time, and they only came to the hospital from the far outback places when they were really sick. They were exposed to all kinds of bugs all the time, but were very resilient. Much stronger immune systems than the town-based kids, he reckoned. He brought one adorable little girl back to our hospital-campus flat one day for a sweet little lunch-time visit, and after that we both got sick. :)

He had a bit of a (verbally) abusive streak himself though, that did not even slightly improve over time, despite repeated promises. Under other circumstances I'd have ended that relationship much sooner, but during our ten months in Sydney. my permanent residency ... based on the "de facto marriage", as they call it there ... was still pending, we had a home together, I had a terrific job that that application allowed me to take ... so I worked really hard at it and stuck it out until the time was right.

Then my folks came to Sydney as we were leaving, and traveled together with us in our crowded-for-four gold '75 Holden Kingswood sedan, Goldie the Golden Holden, for a week or two, from Sydney to Melbourne. (Fellow Yanks, Holden is the Australian GM make ... think maybe Chevy Impala or so ... already 17 years old, because they don't salt the roads there ... no snow ... and cars last forever.) So that wasn't the right time either!

Then we kept traveling, just the two of us, through Adelaide, Coober Pedy, and up the Centre via the Stuart Highway, to Alice where his job awaited. I couldn't find work in Alice, and then he got the "upgraded" assignment to TC, so northward we continued. Through an Alice Springs-based hospital connection, who remains my friend to this day, I did get some temporary work on a hospital computer in Tennant Creek.

Then one day, my man did his thing again, and I let him know I was not going to do that any more. He hopped on a plane the next day and went back to his family in Sydney, leaving me all our shared belongings, including the car. The next day I got my assignment extended the next little bit (21 days at a time!), and miraculously, because I had to move out of the on-campus three-bedroom doctor's house they'd given him, they gave me a nurse's flat on the hospital campus.

On Saturday, while I pried the 17-years-rusted New South Wales plates off my car, newly registered in my name, and affixed my proud new NT plates, I heard a marching band go by! I dropped what I was doing and followed it. It was the opening parade to the aforementioned 9-day festival, that I had been completely unaware was coming. The timing could not have been more perfect, and I got to meet a whole lot of new Tennant Creek friends in that week and a half of fun to start off my newly single life.

I loved Tennant Creek. Darwin was wonderful too, but I was endlessly fascinated by the fun, friendly people of TC, and with how much great stuff we found to do in this tiny isolated place. Plus it was beautiful, in its dusty, dry, red-desert way. Not everyone's taste, but I just loved it there.

I quickly acquired a stray cat, Dusty, who became my loyal companion through my next three homes, and relocations up to Darwin and back ... until I took off for more travels on my own and had to leave him behind with my aforementioned mail-fetching TC friend Gemma. I somehow got back in touch with Gemma a few years back (she has a ridiculously common last name, and had married and moved to Darwin), and she still had him and he was doing great.

While I was there, the Mary Ann Dam north of town along the Creek for which the town is named, normally a muddy puddle, became a giant lake, full of boats and swimmers. I got to attend a wedding there, which was advertised in the local weekly paper and to which the entire town was invited ... the reception was a barbeque in the couple's backyard back in town, and the groom himself was in the band.

It was a wet year.

The Todd River in Alice Springs actually flowed three times in a few months ... normally it only happens once every few years. They say if you've seen the Todd flow three times you're a native. Well, they had to revise that that year! I went down for the Todd River "dry regatta", which is a hoot ... and it rained! ... which caused all sorts of havoc and had never happened in the history of the event.

And yeah, you are right about the TC weather ... like Darwin, it's beautiful in the dry. It's super hot in the wet ... hotter than Darwin, but since it's desert, it's dry heat, so I found it much more bearable. A lot of folks actually move south from Darwin to TC or Alice in the wet. The other nice thing is that in TC it cools way down at night, because the dry air doesn't trap the heat the way Darwin's humidity does. You need a jacket at night!

Ah well, chapter 2 of my novel! (Now that I know I have at least one reader. :))

And yeah, I haven't even talked about Kakadu, Ayers Rock / Uluru, the Devil's Marbles, Kings Canyon, all those beautiful places in the "Do the NT" ads, which we did as well. After the doctor, I briefly dated a guy who had an aboriginal art shop in Nhulunbuy / Gove ... and got to visit there once.

Or how I sold Goldie the Golden Holden to an aboriginal man I worked with during my return to Tennant Creek (where I worked at the rival-to-the-hospital aboriginal health organization, and had to leave after we went on strike) ... and all the rumors that started around town, when "my" car started showing up in the driveways of various men.

And replaced her with Elsie (LC) the huge hulking long-wheelbase Land Cruiser, also half gold, with her giant roof rack topped with humongous water jugs and extra petrol tank and manual transmission that drove like a truck, and went off on some outback 4-wheel-drive adventures, and got stuck in the mud, and two vehicles, including a truck almost failed to get me out. (Having a vehicle equipped for outback travel does not mean your driving skills and sense are similarly equipped. They warn you about this, but it happened to me anyway.)

I have about four big albums of photos from Australia, and from the southeast Asia backpacking trip before it that led to the meeting of the Aussie guy and going there in the first place. Must start uploading some of those for TBT one of these days....

Now back to New Jersey in 2014, and my Sydney song. :)

UkeCan1
08-23-2014, 04:50 AM
I went to University in Salford, had four fantastic years and came out with a degree in Chemical Engineering.

Salford is an industrial city next door to Manchester but it proudly maintain its distinction from Manchester. When I was there it was in decline as the main industry, cotton was dying. There was still evidence of the old industrial past with rows of terraced housing and smoking chimneys and there were still dreadful smogs in my first year but the clean air legislation was beginning to bite and the smogs were in decline and we never had any as bad in the later years I was there.

Geoff, I remember Salford and "Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs" from art week. Have you done that one yet?

Tootler
08-23-2014, 06:55 AM
Geoff, I remember Salford and "Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs" from art week. Have you done that one yet?

Both about L S Lowry, the artist and one Salford's famous sons. I won't be doing either of those, good songs though they are. Time's running out and I need to fit something in for my Scots connection.

I see Lesley posted Dirty Old Town just after me. I've not got round to listening yet.

mattydee
08-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Yay! I got it done. A rarity for me to post twice in a week, but rarer still to have my old neighborhood immortalized in song. So I had to cover this one, a huge hit for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers when I was in high school.

I didn't have a freeway running through my yard, but it was damn close. I certainly knew my fair share of vampires cruising Ventura Blvd., though.

Anyway, here it is. A quick and dirty take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD2LnW3miGA

RAB11
08-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Your video's set to private Matty.

mattydee
08-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Your video's set to private Matty.

Grrr. Fixed now. Sorry.

Markwo
08-23-2014, 07:51 AM
I could write the history of my youth with songs in this Season! Ozzie Osbourne grew up at the same time a me in a suburb of Birmingham just a couple of miles away -
You know I love your stuff - you must do an Ozzy tune! Please! If I could do a Backstreet Boys tune, surely you could do Ozzy

RAB11
08-23-2014, 07:57 AM
You know I love your stuff - you must do an Ozzy tune! Please! If I could do a Backstreet Boys tune, surely you could do Ozzy

I second this. I don't care it's late, I need to see it.

Shady Wilbury
08-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Please excuse my absence, my friends. I am "home" now.

I live in a cathedral city, from which few if any famous musicians hailed. So, I wrote a song for this week.

http://youtu.be/73QMxYOSbZ8

GinnyT11
08-23-2014, 10:59 AM
I don’t have a hometown where I spent most of my growing-up years.
My father was a career Air Force pilot, and I grew up in South Carolina, Germany, Washington state, Texas, Florida, Virginia, New York, California and Okinawa. A WWII vet, my father was flying combat-support missions in Vietnam when my university erupted in anti-war demonstrations.

Here are some indicators of what growing up military is like:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jmzarina/25-signs-you-grew-up-as-a-military-brat-bs9p
I particularly remember these...
2. Yes. I say Ohio because I was born there, went to OSU, and my parents retired there, but I didn’t live there.
13. Yes. A flight on family vacation from Okinawa to Tokyo was on a C-130 in webbed jump seats.
16. Yes. Thanksgiving dinner at the Officers’ Mess. Mmmm...

What’s missing in the list:
Standing for the National Anthem in the base movie theater before the film.
Standard military-base landscaping, which is white-painted rocks along the base roads.
Getting a set of luggage for high school graduation present, purchased at the PX.
The non-denominational church. (The Protestant chaplains of different denominations took turns preaching. Catholics used the church at a different time.)
The kick of taking civilian friends on base for Armed Forces Day to look at planes up close.

I cry at sincere displays of patriotism, something conservatives say is impossible in a bleeding-heart liberal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F3xUCNbkig

decaturcomp
08-23-2014, 12:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=490Vm6OlQ1Q

lelouden
08-23-2014, 02:19 PM
TCK suggested this song. He told me his favorite girl singer is the Stone Poney's. Funny thing...I never knew she was anything but Linda Ronstadt:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCkJiYNXROw&feature=youtu.be

peewee
08-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Like Ginny I don't really have a hometown, having grown up in a jet set whirlwind of corporate overseas assignments of my Dad's.
It sounds pretty glam, and I guess it was in a way, but having a hometown is something you can't fake.

So here's a vapid song about shallow cosmopolitanism that mentions two cities I lived in growing up...and the one I was born in.
Munich is only in there because it rhymes with Pop Muzik (http://youtu.be/Avvh5H-EPWU)

http://youtu.be/r9NllDrStLk?list=UURGtTtGncsPMdGF9cR5n-iQ

http://youtu.be/r9NllDrStLk?list=UURGtTtGncsPMdGF9cR5n-iQ

greenie44
08-23-2014, 04:31 PM
TCK suggested this song. He told me his favorite girl singer is the Stone Poney's. Funny thing...I never knew she was anything but Linda Ronstadt:)

I saws The Stone Poneys opening for the Paul Butterfield Blues Band in my hometown, long long ago.

greenie44
08-23-2014, 04:36 PM
I did a song about my birth town, which I left quite a while ago. The last 10 years have been spent in the Southwest, which brought this song to mind. The singer is only passing through the named town, and who knows if I will stay here forever, but I like it quite a bit.

1 I don't have the chops to pull it off myself, so lelouden graciously agreed to collaborate. We both live in suburbs of Phoenix, so it is equally applicable to each of us, although Linda was born in her town. In any event, hope you like it. Always a treat to try a Jimmy Webb song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv7Jy4jXVfg

bonesigh
08-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks to Ryan I've been writing songs all week and not participating here! I've written 3 songs so far and a parody and other things. I've been a busy bee. Plus I've been having difficulty getting onto UU for some reason. It's 12:30 am and I've finally been able to log in! So here is one song that I wrote and I hope to post others later if I can find the time. I do have a uke meeting and open mic tomorrow night.

So a little about where I currently live. According to legend, Daniel Morgan would engage in combat with young toughs at the intersection, having first piled large stones nearby to use as ammunition in case of need. Because of this story, and a rowdy tavern nearby, the area was first given the informal name of "Battle Town".

Hite sold the tract in 1765 to his son-in-law, Major Charles Smith. On the site of the former tavern he built a clapboard homestead, which still stands on Main Street. Daniel Morgan returned to the area after distinguishing himself in the Revolution, living at Saratoga, and briefly at Soldier's Rest. He was one of the frequent (and reputedly most quarrelsome) patrons of the new tavern (where now stands the Battletown Inn). (Used to eat there for our anniversary but now the restaurant is no longer).

In 1797 20 acres were sold to Benjamin Berry and Sarah (Berry) Stribling, who divided it into lots for a town. It was established as the town of Berryville on January 15, 1798.

We now have a population of about 3,500 people. We often hike the Appalachian trail and visit the Shenandoah River about a mile away from us (:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pVT7z5oCA&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player
"The Lines of My Lover"

G C
Life on the river
G C
Washes over me
Bm7 C
Wind in the willows
Bm7 Am7 D
Surely brings me peace

Cm G
I gaze at the ripples
Cm G
Time is so fleet
Cm G
Kindled with the sun’s love
Am7 D
Water sets me free
CHORUS
F C
The wind drew the lines of my lover
G Dm7
And she sighed with the sound of the trees
C Cm
She whispers at the touch of my hand now
G D
And sings with a voice none can see

Instrumental G C G C Bm7 C Bm7 Am7 D

Cm G
I gaze at the sunset
Cm G
Time is so sweet
Cm G
Enfolded by the fire’s light
Am7 D
Sonance set me free
CHORUS

F C
She whispers at the touch of my hand now
G Cm
And sings with a voice none can see

Tootler
08-24-2014, 02:23 AM
Like Ginny, I grew up in a military family as my Father was in the RAF and I had a nomadic childhood living in Aberdeen, Berkshire, Yorkshire, France, Staffordshire, Norfolk and for two summer holidays, Bahrain.

I do consider Aberdeen to be my home town as that's where I was born and lived the first three years of my life with my mother and grandparents while my Father was with the RAF in India at the end of WWII and the first couple of years after. Also he was later posted to RAF Dyce near my grandmother's home (The airfield is now Aberdeen Airport) and I went to school in my grandmother's home village of Stoneywood, a time I look back on with great fondness.

For my last entry this season, I have done an instrumental. It's two Scottish Waltzes. The first, Waters of Kylesku comes from the far North of Scotland and I learnt it when I spent 6 months in Thurso, the most northerly town in mainland Britain working at the Dounreay atomic energy site as part of studying for my degree. The second is Northern Lights of Aberdeen which has become Aberdeen's "anthem". Ironically, it is a fairly modern song (It was written as a song) written by an Londoner who was a piano teacher and one of her pupils was an Aberdonian who was feeling somewhat homesick. The Northern Lights refers to the Aurora Borealis which can be seen fairly regularly in Aberdeen but for me it represents visiting my grandparents in the 1950s. The roads were not so good those days so it was a long journey and so we always arrived late at night and the first view of the city was looking down from the hills on the south the city and seeing the street lights twinkling below.

Anyway, Enough blether. On with the music.

http://youtu.be/MqTw5oxuGFw

~dave~~wave~
08-24-2014, 09:13 AM
I've lived all my adult life in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA.

The biggest hit to originate from here was "In The Year 2525" by Zager & Evans, which was Number One exactly 45 years ago.
I did that one for my first Seasons video two years ago.

Another favorite son is Matthew Sweet, who befriended R.E.M. when he was in high school and they were an obscure young band who played a local club in 1982.
When he graduated, he moved to their home town of Athens, GA, to get into the music business.

His breakthrough album "Girlfriend" came out 1991.
When I saw him with The Thorns years back, he broke out a ukulele on a song or two.

My video includes dash cam clips of the State Capitol, downtown, and Matthew's old school.

http://youtu.be/uulpS-Wf7XM

ukuleledaveey
08-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Howdy gang and what a great theme.This is my official entry for this weeks challenge.
This is a old bush ranger song that has many many versions, their is the Irish versions and Australian versions, and they have been sung by many many artists.
I have drawn inspiration from a West Australian Band called "The Mucky Duck Bush Band" who hail from Perth http://www.muckyduckbushband.com/
There are a few famous people from Perth/Western Australia, Bon Scott(although born in Scotland), Micheal Hutchence, INXS, Pendulum, Heath Ledger,etc,etc.
I spent six glorious years living in Perth, I still class it as home and miss it so so much, admittedly it took me a good couple of years to get over my homesickness (missing my family) but boy i would give anything to be back home in Australia.

70189 A picture of me and our Aussie home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oegDiAaRHw&feature=youtu.be

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Terrific theme this week. So great to get to know everyone better.

My hometown is Twin Falls, Idaho. I didn't fit in that well in Twin, so both junior high and high school were pretty rough. Music became my solace during those difficult times, especially punk rock (Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones) and underground pop music (R.E.M., Replacements, Violent Femmes, etc.)

When I was in junior high, my older sister's boyfriend, Brett, started playing bass in a punk band called Farm Days. Farm Days only played a few shows in Twin, but I think I saw them all. Seeing them play and listening to my sister's copies of their cassette tapes gave me the idea that I could make music myself someday. My favorite Farm Days song back then was "Lonely Boy". Here's a baritone uke version.

http://youtu.be/E43_1N8F2Aw

I played a couple of other songs about Twin Falls for earlier Seasons:

Farm Days broke up after just a few years, but the members got back together in the early 90s as Built to Spill. BTS recorded some great music together, including a lovely song called "Twin Falls" (Built to Spill version) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKin1UPQWXU). I recorded my own version of "Twin Falls" (http://youtu.be/53vyoqHpVKU) for pabrizzers' 55th Season.

I also wrote a song called "Southern Idaho Lights" (http://youtu.be/X4-O1angBBo) about life in Twin Falls during high school for OldePhart's Season 124.

Thanks, all, for sharing your stories and music this week.

we tigers
08-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Ah Ralf... Built to Spill! Great, great band! I have played Perfect From Now On a million times. Memories. Cool that you knew those guys. Liked The Halo Benders as well.

LBColosimo
08-24-2014, 12:15 PM
I hope I am doing this correctly! (and in time!) Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy3VsYwBI88

lelouden
08-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I hope I am doing this correctly! (and in time!) Cheers

Yes you did Lynette! Your entry is WONDERFUL! Welcome to the seasons :) Now go and check out season 132 that has also just started so we can listen to more of your fabulousness!!!

GinnyT11
08-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Yay, Lynette! You're a Seasonista now! You did it right and you're in time, and we're really glad that you joined us!

The first video is hard, but it gets easier as you get to know people, and we hope to see more of your videos as we can definitely use more women Seasonistas. :D

uke4ia
08-24-2014, 01:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Qo_y8ORf4

I was born and raised in Lewiston, Maine. The only band that ever came from there was Katfish, who made it to #53 in 1975 with a cover of "Dear Prudence". Their claim to fame was getting the song onto a K-Tel album. That same year, Simon and Garfunkel did "My Little Town", which I used to sing as "Nothing but the bored and boring back in my Lewiston." I am now Facebook friended to a lot of high school classmates, several of whom still live there. So I'm not doing "My Lewiston" this week, or completing an old original song snippet with a "get me the hell out of here" theme.

I went to college in Boston and have lived in the Boston area ever since. This is the song "More Bad Times" by a band called Ed's Redeeming Qualities, which was the first band I ever found that used the ukulele in a non-retro, non-Hawaiian context. They were a Boston band until the main songwriter died of cancer, and then they moved to San Francisco, where they put out a few CDs.

In over 300 videos, this is the first time I have ever used my Martin Style 3M (50's vintage). I really never, ever use this uke. These strings have probably been on there for over 20 years.

BigDaddyUker
08-24-2014, 02:55 PM
I was born and raised in Butte, Montana smack dab in the middle of Southwestern Montana. Butte began as nothing more than a bunch of mining camps back in the early 1870’s. By the late 1870’s, a large and bustling city center had emerged – and was growing larger literally by the day. Then, as fate would have it, a fire in 1879 burned down the entire central business district. Following this disaster, the Butte city council passed a law that required all new buildings downtown (known as "Uptown Butte") to be built from brick or stone – most of which still stand today and what help make Butte such a historic and unique city. While silver and gold were actively mined in Butte, it was copper that truly put Butte on the map. The World War I era was truly the boom time for Butte – as demand soared for its minerals. During the 1930’s and 40’s, Butte continued to pour out tons of copper every day, although the Great Depression of the 1930’s led to less demand for the minerals a resulting decline in population. It was the 1950’s, though, that really began to change things for Butte. The Anaconda Mining Company, to reduce the costs involved in the labor-intensive nature of underground mining, started to conduct open strip mining. Thus, instead of tunneling down for the copper, entire hillsides were simply removed. Throughout the remainder of the 1900’s, mining was still conducted in Butte, with the large strip mine – the Berkley Pit – shut down to active mining operations in 1982. However, fewer and fewer people worked in the industry, leading to a steady loss of both businesses and people from Butte. Butte is obviously quite different than it was just 30 or 40 years ago. Butte built up an infrastructure to support around 100,000 people during the 1920’s. While the people moved out of Butte as the city declined, the buildings (as they were made of stone), remained. One of the neat things in Butte are the many “ghost signs”. “Ghost Signs”, in case you’re wondering, are old – often very old – signs painted on the sides of buildings (a cheap version of a billboard). Most of the businesses these signs promote are long-gone now, yet the signs remain – promoting strange and long departed businesses. There so much history built around this little town...not sure what to share. Butte was also home to a very successful minor league baseball team (Pioneer League, 1978-2000) that sent a little more than 60 players to the major league.

A couple things that happen every year - Montana Folk Festival (crowd can be seen in a picture), St. Patricks Day (population grows by 40-60,000 people on this day), 4th of July parade (attended by nearly the entire city) and Evil Knievel days which celebrate the life and legacy of the great daredevil Evil Knievel. On St. Patrick's Day, it is not uncommon to run into big names wandering the streets of uptown Butte. In years gone by, lucky patrons have heard impromptu concerts by Bruce Springsteen and Stevie Ray Vaughn when they grabbed a guitar from behind the bar and sat down and started playing. Butte is often called Little Ireland and in fact this year hosted a major Irish festival. I grew up on a street just below the big M (you will see the 'big hill with the M) and have many fond memories of the neighborhood hide-n-go-seek, kick the can, stickball and football games.

This was rushed to get it in so I apologize.

http://youtu.be/IS_Qo6xBsdQ

Markwo
08-24-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm not a fan of boy bands either, but this song on uke sounds really great! Amazingly well played and sung! I'm listening to it a few times, really fantastic.
Thanks jamz. I'm just glad that its over with. Now I can move on with my life to much better music like the stuff you are bringing this week!:)

myrnaukelele
08-24-2014, 09:44 PM
There's just a couple more hours before this season ends and I never did get around to recording Sweet Home Chicago. I went camping and canoeing instead. And played lots of music around the campfire. I did get a recording on Wednesday of my band practicing a song for our gig next week at the Alaska State Fair. So my final song for this week is one with my current band playing in my backyard.

http://youtu.be/0tFNnb-ORXo

redpaul1
08-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Appropriately, in Homecoming Season, I've just got home from Ukuhooley 2014 (http://www.ukulelehooley.com), held in the beautiful Irish seaside town/Dublin suburb of Dun Laoghaire:
http://ds-lands.com/data_images/top_cityes/dun-laoghaire/dun-laoghaire-11.jpg.
The craic was mighty: far too much of the black stuff was consumed for any sensible behaviour to ensue. I myself wowed the crowd with my now world's-famous rendition of "Uptown Top-Ranking" - at any rate I'm assuming their silence at the end was that's what happened :)
Anyway, voice completely shot, I did this one once I got back in about 11 pm, pressed 'process' and promptly fell asleep on the sofa. At 3 a.m., I pressed 'upload' and went to bed. At 8 a.m., I woke up to find "Upload 31% 660 minutes remaining"...

I'm not sure when the deadline for any Season falls due :rolleyes:, but posting anyway. Here's the story:

I spent my 16th summer in New Jersey & New York (City). It was the first time I'd ever been abroad. Before then, like most people I knew, all I knew of the USA, was what I saw on Cannon, Columbo and Kojak. I suppose I thought of the USA as being basically like us, but louder and with no BBC, and funny rules about driving. It didn't take long to realise that this was a foreign country. I couldn't get over the size of it. I'd stand on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, with my back to the sea and the sea breeze, imagining myself being blown west by the wind - and travelling forever (nowhere in England is more than 70 miles from the sea).

I spent most of the summer working as a busboy in a diner, in Atlantic City, just by the "World's Famous" Steel Pier - saw Delaney and Bonnie & Friends (no Clapton, sadly) there. One of the other busboys, a couple of years older than me, was a guy named Bruce. I've often wondered...

http://youtu.be/3CM_ycwHnd8
(I may also have told this story before...)

BigDaddyUker
08-25-2014, 03:36 AM
I spent most of the summer working as a busboy in a diner, in Atlantic City, just by the "World's Famous" Steel Pier - saw Delaney and Bonnie & Friends (no Clapton, sadly) there. One of the other busboys, a couple of years older than me, was a guy named Bruce. I've often wondered...

http://youtu.be/3CM_ycwHnd8
(I may also have told this story before...)

Video is marked private Red.

UkeCan1
08-25-2014, 04:44 AM
Sorry I'm a few hours late - I've been working on this song all week, and it represents yet another phase of my life that I remember fondly, so I didn't want to miss the opportunity to finish and share it with you all.

Before my Northern Territory adventures that I wrote about extensively earlier in the thread, I lived for 10 months in Randwick, New South Wales, in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney.

Lovely town, great weather, friendly people. Had a flat in a high-rise 10 minutes uphill from beautiful Coogee Beach. Our flat was on the wrong side of the building for it, but just out front of the building was a beautiful view down the hill toward the beach, with its gorgeous blue ocean, white rocks, green trees, and orange roofed white houses.

We used to walk for hours along those Sydney beaches ... sometimes all the way up to Bondi and back, winding our way along those big rocks overlooking the Pacific.

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Almost certainly the most beautiful place I've ever lived. Except for maybe the other places I lived in Australia. :)

Pabrizzer turned me on to this great song, by the quintessentially Australian Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls. Who knew there was a song that mentions Randwick?!

http://youtu.be/fLOtdwB5V4w

Interesting story from my first day in Australia, when I had just moved into my new home in Randwick:

I walked the 10 minutes up the hill to Randwick town centre, to buy some things to provision my new home. I was amazed at how incredibly friendly all the Sydneysiders were. I was on such a high by the end of my shopping trip, from meeting all these warm wonderful new friends. I thought, wow, Australia is so much friendlier than the US - what a great place.

Later on, as I talked with Australian friends, pretty much all of whom had toured the US, they all said exactly the opposite .... they had found Americans so much friendlier than Australians.

I then realized something that I believe to be a profound and very useful truth about human existence: It was us, not them!

Others show up as mirrors to how we're being, and what we're projecting and/or expecting.

I was being super friendly and open, excited to be in my new home, boldly and warmly introducing myself to all the people in the shops. So no wonder they responded the same way.

Same for my traveling Australian friends. We behave differently on vacation in an exciting new place than we do at home. So of course they too got a warm reception.

Ever since, I've recognized how much power I have to impact how the world around me shows up. One of the most useful lessons I've ever learned in my adventurous life.

redpaul1
08-25-2014, 05:17 AM
Video is marked private Red.
Thanks for the heads-up, Big Daddy! Thought it looked funny when posted. Still, probably sounded better that way :)

BigDaddyUker
08-25-2014, 06:41 AM
http://youtu.be/IS_Qo6xBsdQ I belong to a FB group called "You Know You Are From Butte America..." I posted my SOTU video up there - pretty positive response. Had never thought of it until someone mentioned it. Don't know if there are similar opportunities for some of the other videos that seasonistas have made.

RAB11
08-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Guys I'm really sorry! Was expecting a bank holiday with the flat to myself to catch up on the 15 or so videos I've not seen yet but that's not happened!

I will have this wrapped up by the end of the week though, I promise.

08-25-2014, 08:26 AM
in your own time, RAB, you've been a wonderful and attentive host and no one is gonna imagine you have abandoned us! thanks for the update though

redpaul1
08-27-2014, 03:34 PM
I was just walking past what used to be the Coleherne, when I had a Homer Simpson moment: "D'Oh!"

So I've stuck the song I should have done first up over on the Island (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas&p=1570076#post1570076). It's a naive domestic number without any breeding, but I think you'll be amused by its presumption

http://www.jdoughty.my.proz.com/presmptuous%20wine%20cartoon.jpg

08-27-2014, 06:04 PM
I think you'll be amused by its presumption

lol!

plus blah for word count :mad:

RAB11
08-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Here is a ten minute drunken ramble that should hopefully go some way to sorting the season out. Sorry it took so long.

Could the winners please message me their address? Thanks.

My head is going to hurt in the morning and I've not done the washing up. Louise is going to kill me.

:cheers:

lelouden
08-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Well you must still be inebriated because I had to visit your youtube channel to watch!

Congrats to the winners and to those honorably mentioned.

Thanks Ryan for a great season:)

xommen
08-30-2014, 01:45 PM
I've embedded it here for people not wanted to go to Facebook or youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJj1_NQQ0dY

RAB11
08-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Well you must still be inebriated because I had to visit your youtube channel to watch!

Congrats to the winners and to those honorably mentioned.

Thanks Ryan for a great season:)

Oh FFS. Knew I forgot something.

Cheers for grabbing it Wim. Good thing I set it to public.

Markwo
08-30-2014, 02:02 PM
That was a great season ryan! (Even though I did a boy band song). You were a great host.

TCK
08-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Great wrap here- hope ya don't get in too much trouble for the beer. Thanks for the good time mate.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
08-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Terrific Season, everyone. Thanks, Ryan, for putting this one together.

08-30-2014, 03:51 PM
yay great season, super host, super hosting, plenty of beer, FAN-UKE-ING-TASTIC :rock:

myrnaukelele
08-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Great Season RAB! I truly enjoyed learning about where folks are from and listening to their hometown songs. And I'm glad you liked Squalor- it was fun setting the scene (luckily we were going to the dump the next day so our trash was all collected in one place and ready to be tossed into the truck). I rather fancy that cardboard hat.:rolleyes:

barefootgypsy
08-31-2014, 12:33 AM
Ryan I really enjoyed your Season as you could tell, thanks for the call-out, I'm thrilled to bits, and congrats to the winners! Woohoo!

bonesigh
08-31-2014, 07:56 PM
A very fine job of hosting Ryan and good theme for the week. Really enjoyed it! Thank you for the shout out. It means a lot in this sea of seasonista's who are so good (:

~dave~~wave~
09-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Thanks for an inspired theme this week, Ryan.
I'll treasure the quintessentially British Union Jack Mini-Cooper cuff links fortuitously awarded by the fickle finger of fate.
I'll have to find a nice shirt with French cuffs to show them off.