Season 131 - Homecoming

RAB11

Reaction score

I'M FROM WIGAN ME!

This week's theme is all about your hometown. Not necessarily the town you were born in, but a town you've lived in at some point in your life and feel an affinity for. I want you to play me a song from a band or artist from that town. The closer to your part of town the better (especially for those from big cities). Bonus points if the song is about the town itself.

If you're from the arse end of nowhere and there's no musicians from your town, guess what, there is a musician from your town, YOU! Write me a song, or play a song you've written while in that town.

Other things I would like to see:

I WANT TO LEARN SOMETHING THIS WEEK. At some point in your post or video, I want you to tell me about your town, and maybe a little about your time there and the link you have to the band.

I WANT YOU TO LEARN SOMETHING. Most weeks I try to tackle something that I've been putting off, and it's made me slightly better as a player. I want you to take that third position flat major 7th chord that's been getting the better of you and show it what's what! Nail that new strum pattern! Try some fingerpicking and maybe even a downstrum if you're feeling lucky!

MULTITRACKING: Allowed but discouraged. I'm a big fan of playing 'as live' but at the same time I'm amazed by the production values some of you guys bring.

VIDEOS MUST HAVE BEEN RECORDED THIS WEEK.

PRIZES

Louise and I are off to a car boot tomorrow (Americans, imagine everyone in your area is having a yard sale in the same field at the same time), and she's rather charitably allowed me a fiver to go off and find some ukulele-related tat, er, I mean rare Hawaiian trinket! The person who records the video I like the most this week for completely arbitrary reasons will win that prize. If I'm lucky there'll be two or three prizes so my choice won't be as hard.

TIMINGS
I think I got them the wrong way around in the video. Entries will commence at 0000 hours on Sunday, 17th August Hawaiian time, and cease at 2359 hours Sunday, 24th August Hawaiian. 8 days worth of lovely music, give or take the odd hour here or there.

You are allowed as many videos as you like from as many hometowns as you like, and I will view and comment on them all, but I won't have access to the YouTubes until the evenings.

PLAYLIST IS HERE!

Cool theme! I like the fact that you've got me already thinking about the many different places we have lived over the years. I also like your comments about making it a learning experience, too. That won't be too hard for me! ;)

(Edit Add: Oh yeah! Have fun shopping for HI trinkets.)

Excellent theme. I have a bizillion ( © Anna Louise Walker) possibilities in mind but I doubt I shall get them done.

...maybe even a downstrum if you're feeling lucky!

hmm.... Could that be referring to anyone in particular?

I wonder.....

:anyone:

:music: <-- Downstrum here?

:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Excellent theme. I have a bizillion (c. Anna Louise Walker) possibilities in mind but I doubt I shall get them done.

I want to see at least half a gazillion then Geoff.

I wonder.....

I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're talking about ;)

On a side note, I'm really looking forward to being able to watch all the videos this week. Doesn't happen as much as it used to because Louise has stopped working evenings but I've booked the laptop and YouTube time this week so I'm all good.

I also forgot to mention I'll be giving me geographic life story as the week goes on. :D

Ryan, I applaud you for this clever theme. You've offered lots of options for songs, yet you've also asked that we tell you something about ourselves. We are metaphorically coming by your place to sing tunes for you, and you've asked us to stay long enough to tell about who we are. I love that!

PS--I lived in Seattle for a decade, and now I live in the home town of James Taylor and Ben Folds Five. I'd better find something, or I'm not trying.

Arse end of nowhere!!!!

If you're from the arse end of nowhere and there's no musicians from your town, guess what, there is a musician from your town, YOU! Write me a song, or play a song you've written while in that town.

YES...I am from the arse end of nowhere and damn proud of it...time to get creative!!!!

Great theme!!!!

I want to see at least half a gazillion then Geoff.

Trouble is it's Whitby Folk Week this week so that's half the week accounted for. I usually manage three days and I'm knackered after that. I've a couple of possibilities for tomorrow, though.

Trouble is it's Whitby Folk Week this week so that's half the week accounted for. I usually manage three days and I'm knackered after that. I've a couple of possibilities for tomorrow, though.

I went on holiday to Whitby once. My abiding memory of that trip was my brother fitting a Mars Bar in his mouth sideways. I was only young though.

A most excellent theme! And I am a very lucky Seasonista - one of the greatest blues standards ever written is about my hometown. :cool:

I went on holiday to Whitby once. My abiding memory of that trip was my brother fitting a Mars Bar in his mouth sideways. I was only young though.

Nothing wrong with fitting a Mars Bar in your mouth sideways......I used to do it in Mansfield ...and never stopped ...you know I don't think that are as big as they used to be........and don't even start me on Wagon Wheels ...they are deffo not the same size anymore... !!!!!

AWESOME THEME, and super intro vid, nice one RAB!

I wonder.....

no i don't think that was for anyone in particular, just some general encouragement for everyone :uhoh:

I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're talking about
see?!

RAB, I can only find two songs that have the mention of my cities name in them. They are done by musicians not from my town. My town is a suburb of Phoenix and I have tons and tons of options for phoenix by way of musicians and songs. Im hoping thats ok with you:)

BTW very nice idea for this theme. Good thinking!!!

RAB, I can only find two songs that have the mention of my cities name in them. They are done by musicians not from my town. My town is a suburb of Phoenix and I have tons and tons of options for phoenix by way of musicians and songs. Im hoping thats ok with you:)

BTW very nice idea for this theme. Good thinking!!!

Linda they don't have to mention your town at all, that was just a bonus. And yeah, if you're from a part of Phoenix, bands from other parts of Phoenix are fine, again, having them come from the same bit of town was just an extra challenge.

Glad people are liking the theme, can't wait for the entries to start!

Top Bottom