K&K Aloha twin different position, different sound...opinion

scatcat

Reaction score
Hallo, i have purcheised this pickup and i need to install it.
On the k&k instructions there are 2 type of position, one on the bottom of the bridge with superglue (raccomanded), and one in front the bridge with biadesive.
Is diffilcut for me to put my big hands inside the hole and i can't put it on the bottom of the bridge.
Is different the sound if i put it in front the bridge?
Someone have experience with this pickup?
Thank you
Ciao

Sorry for my bad english :)

I have a K&K Twinspot on my Kanile'a tenor (bought it used, already installed). My Oasis humidifier got loose and knocked one of the spots off and I couldn't reach back to the bridge area. I re-stuck it in front of the bridge and can't notice any difference in sound.

I once asked Gordon (Mya-Moe) about placement, he replied there did not seem to make a difference.
Mya-Moe uses the twin spots, I put one in my KoAloha, I reached in the sound hole as far as I could and stuck it on.
Sounds good to me, very natural unlike some of the ust's I have heard.

Great, answers the same questions I've been asking. I'm fixing to install my first set. If there's a fleamarket nearby, they often have a knife/gadget table that has large, bent forceps that can be used to position something inside the uke. Harbor freight also has a reasonable light/mirror that will fit well into the body cavity of a uke.

Great, answers the same questions I've been asking. I'm fixing to install my first set. If there's a fleamarket nearby, they often have a knife/gadget table that has large, bent forceps that can be used to position something inside the uke. Harbor freight also has a reasonable light/mirror that will fit well into the body cavity of a uke.

I tried using a tool, but feeling the spot was difficult, so I ended up using my finger and reaching as far as I could.

Thanks everybody for the answer!!
I try to put it near the bridge.

I have also just installed a few of the Aloha Twin Spots in my ukes. Access is pretty tight in the smaller ukes so I just reached in and placed them just in front of the bridge, one under the 1st & 2nd strings and 1 under the 3rd & 4th strings.
This location is recommended by K & K for best balance across the strings, especially for ukes without a flat surface on the bridge plate.
I stuck them into position using super glue once I was happy with the location. A 6mm (1/4") plastic drinking straw is very handy for guiding the end pin socket into and through the freshly drilled hole so it can be secured.

The K&K pickups are very sensitive. I find them almost too "hot" so I mount them away from the bridge and closer to the side of the uke. There seems to be less external noise in that location as well.

I just installed a K&K in my latest build before closing the box. Not sure where exactly you meant, Chuck, but this seemed like a good experimental place, closer to the sides, but still mounted on the underside bridge plate, which is a bit longer than I've used before.

k&k install.jpg

Top Bottom