Mystery rattle resolves itself?

strumsilly

Reaction score
Went to play my favorite baritone last week and there was a terrible rattle/buzz coming from what seemed like the inside near the bottom . sounded like a loose brace. It was really bad. Today I loosened the strings and was barely able to get my hand in [or out]. I felt all around , there is only the tail block and a thin bridge plate that extends to the sides down there, besides the thin solid mahog binding strips[i forgot the name of the strips used to reinforce the joint between the top/bottom and sides.] Anyway, I couldn't feel anything loose, and when I got my hand out and tuned er up. no rattle! I'm pleased , but a little confused.

A friend knocked his tenor uke. It was not a hard knock, and there was no visible damage, but it promptly rattled and buzzed alarmingly. I checked it over, inside and out - flashlight, dentist's mirror and all that stuff - and could find nothing wrong. Putting finger pressure on the bridge stopped the buzzing, but did not cure it, so I slackened off the strings, removed the saddle, turned it around (it was symmetrical), and that cured it!

My friend was most impressed. I was relieved and puzzled!

Last edited:
The easiest way to (try and) solve a rattle in any wooden musical instrument: put it in the bathroom, and leave the shower running for a couple of minutes. A slight raise in humidity can help more than you expect, even with expensive symphonic instruments.

Top Bottom