Stings currently using?

Strings being used on your favorite uke now?

• Worth

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Aquila

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Kala

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hilo

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Kamaka

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • D'Addario

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • GHS

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Koolau

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • WOULD YOU BUY THEM AGAIN?????

Votes: 15 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UKESTAR

Reaction score
Strings currently using?

Yes, some of us have more than one ukulele. What strings are currently on the uke that you play most?

OOOPS!! HELP!! I tried to create a poll where the person could select the current strings on their favorite uke AND THEN tell us all if they would buy them again........didn't work so well.

The way the poll options are set up, we can't tell what strings would and would not be purchased again.

Anyone know how to make this happen??

Last edited:
I like Sting of "The Police" fame.

Next favorite would be the professional wrestler who popularized such moves as "the Stinger Splash" and "the Scorpion Death Lock"

--------------------------

oh strings....

I like D'Adarrio Pro Arté classical guitar strings(yes guitar strings) and have them on everything except my Sonny D concert which I use Hilos or any other standard black strings.

(just an observation, but this board is getting more gear-centric with the polls lately eh?)

on my uke I have Ko'olau golds but I have some d'adarrio pro arte that I want to put on but I'm scared if they don't sound good I wont be able to find the koolaus.

GHS for me

The only strings i will buy are ghs. i have tried a few others and they dont feel the same so, im afraid to spend money and waste it if i dont like them so i stay with what i know.

Howlie Boy:cool:

I only have two playable ukes and both have Aquilas.

I like them a lot and probably wouldn't put anything else on the two I have now. However, I'd be willing to try other strings if I got another uke (or more than one other... let's dream big).

I have Aquila on soprano and Koolau gold wound c on my tenor.

i love my koolau golds (all nylon, hi-g) on my pono tenor. i stay sked fo try new strings, jus in case dey no sound good ... i guess if da buggah no stay broke, no need fix um eh?

The D'addario strings seem to have high tension. Probably compared to my Ko'olau golds on my soprano. I guess it takes some getting used to. I'm actually developing some calouses.

On a side note: I ordered a set of tenor uke strings but recently ordered a Flea concert. I'm assuming I can still use the tenor strings on the concert?

Worth Med/brown
and Aquila Nylgut are my absolute favourites.
I tried some other strings Pyramid Nylon, Pyramid Carbon, Ghs Nylon, but I don't like Nylon at all.

to be honest with you, i really like aquilas.

it gives it a nice sound, they are pretty durable.

able to stretch easily, and they are easy to pick with and just strum in general.

it doesnt have the "noisy" sound that the plastic like strings have.

they are pretty good!

i would rather try D'Addario strings though.

i hear that they are like aquilas but better.

i havent gotten them yet but they will be my next strings!

I used to use Aquila strings before, but the C string was sounding soooo loud, that I finnally focused only on this one.
Since I use D'Addario's I feel muuh better

Aquila were the only decent baritone GCEA strings I could find. Nylgut, I believe.
are you using a tenor set? or are you using a set made for baritone? i found that aquilas dont have very much in the way of elasticity. on a baritone, with the longer scale, it needs to be tensioned very high to reach that high A note. so when i tried to string up my bari with aquila tenor strings, i snapped the A string. so far no probs from the all nylon though. on average the A strings are about 30-40lb test by fishing line diameter standards. so there's a lot of room to groove.

Okay finally I was able to try out Koolau Gold Strings. I totally changed my mind about Nylon.. I love them. They climbed up in my ranking and will find their place next to Worth/brown and Aquila Nylguts.

Worth BMs on the uke I play the most. A basic no frills King A5 soprano. BLs on the longneck soprano KoAloha. Just a more balanced overall sound vs the BMs on that uke.

Like the Aquila on the KoAloha concert, except for the string squeal, more time to settle in and relatively short life span compared to the Worth BMs. Have long ago replaced the Aquilas with the Worths

Top Bottom