Who owns a Redwood ukulele?

wayward

Reaction score
How many of you play a ukulele with a redwood top? Some of the reviews I've read of them say they can be a bit fragile (& scratch or crack more easily than other woods), but I love the sound samples of them that I've listened to, so I'm thinking I might be saving up for one in the near future...

Got one on the way. Soft wood tops do scratch or ding easily. My cedar-topped guitars would dent if you looked at 'em crooked, fingernail chatters, scratches, like that. French polish makes for great sound, but it doesn't make soft wood bulletproof.

Wabi-sabi ...

Redwood is a softwood like cedar...dings very easily so you have to be a bit extra careful when handling the uke. Beautiful sounding top wood...like cedar.

I have been wanting one of these Ko'olau Redwood/Milo babies since Kimo Hussey showed me the way.

I've got both sinker redwood topped and curly redwood topped ukes. I think the sinker redwood may be a better structural choice. The unsunk curly stuff can be brittle or fracture easily during the build. But the curly stuff is gorgeous. I haven't had any issues with redwood in a finished instrument.
P1060372_zps04d366b4.jpg

025_zps6081da98.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a redwood/sapele. Love the sound of redwood tops. Yeah, softwood is, um, soft. It might scratch and dent. But it can sound great.

I have a limited edition Ohana with a sinker redwood top. I've always been very gentle with my instruments as a matter of practice but I don't feel like I need to treat it as if it were made of egg shells. I was a huge worry wart when it was delivered to me because it was coming from California and was delivered to Minnesota in a period of time when the high temperatures of the day were below zero. I had nightmares about it arriving cracked and damaged. I let the delivered box sit at room temperatures for a day and a half before I even opened it and to my relief, it was fine. I use an in the sound hole type Oasis hydrometer as well as another small hydrometer in the neck area of the case when the humidity starts dropping to make sure it is always properly humidified. I really love the look and sound of the wood.

one more to compare...deep rich tone....

btw no problems with straight tight grain Redwood...as stiff as any other tops I have seen

http://vimeo.com/95555490

Last edited:
My Compass Rose is cocobolo body with a Sinker Redwood top. I haven't had any issue with it, and love the tone.

Here is a baby photo of it from June 11,2013

Last edited:
Thank you to Doc J, nogdam and others that supplied pictures...........you made my day. I need to take a cold shower now, excuse me!!!

I've got both sinker redwood topped and curly redwood topped ukes. I think the sinker redwood may be a better structural choice. The unsunk curly stuff can be brittle or fracture easily during the build. But the curly stuff is gorgeous. I haven't had any issues with redwood in a finished instrument.
P1060372_zps04d366b4.jpg

025_zps6081da98.jpg

Love that LFdM ... I have my money down for one of them in April 2015. Gorgeous ... I will be looking for Sinker Redwood as the sound board as well.

How many of you play a ukulele with a redwood top? Some of the reviews I've read of them say they can be a bit fragile (& scratch or crack more easily than other woods), but I love the sound samples of them that I've listened to, so I'm thinking I might be saving up for one in the near future...

I have a redwood top uke. I was told it is a little more fragile than other tone woods. I have pick guards in key areas, that are clear.

SHAMELESS PLUG:
If you do decide to buy...mine is for sale for a very good price. It is not getting played. Sitting in a climate controlled storage 4200 miles away:(

I have a redwood top uke. I was told it is a little more fragile than other tone woods. I have pick guards in key areas, that are clear.

SHAMELESS PLUG:
If you do decide to buy...mine is for sale for a very good price. It is not getting played. Sitting in a climate controlled storage 4200 miles away:(

What is it? Pictures please ...

I've built two ukuleles with sinker redwood soundboards, I used Tru-Oil for the finish. So far, no major dings, but I've been pretty careful.

I have a tenor Koolau redwood top with walnut b/s and MISI pu and a Talsma concert vita style redwood top Cuban mahogany b/s MISI pu. They are both excellent with superb sound! Both the redwood tops are highly figured. I would post pictures if I knew how.

I love this thread. Thanks to everyone who posted and especially with pics. One day, I too shall own a big red. They are awesome. That first Ko'olau knocked my socks off. :agree:

Top Bottom