Headstock thicknesser

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I bought the linear bearings for this tool a year ago and have only just squeezed in the 3 hours development and build required to put together this great tool. It was inspired by something I saw in a Gibson factory visit video.

The video is self explanatory. However some stuff you will want to know :)

• With a set of 3 platens I can get 9mm, 11mm and 17.4mm headstock thicknesses consistently.
  • The slight give in the bearings (see-saw effect) and the play in the chuck means there is a natural 'spring' loading to the drum which dissipates after a few passes producing a consistent parallel and flat surface.
  • Next mod for it will be some dust extraction now I know exactly the direction it is flowing from the tool - the motor on the drill also helps to direct it into a pretty concentrated area.
  • The headstock is screwed to the platen using the location screw hole of my headstock routing template. This is then covered with a headplate veneer. Gibson had a fancy vacuum clamping system.
The tune played is a Rev Gary Davis piece which I can't for the life of me remember the name of...

Last edited:
I use my drum thickness sander. I know it is trued and produces an even parallel thickness.
I have a temporary fence that attaches to the surface of my drum sander, and I can easily feed the headstock in for thicknessing.
I premark the thickness I want the headstock to be before attaching veneers and approach that mark lightly.
Does a great job, it's fast, and I don't need another tool setup in the shop.
head thickness 2.jpghead thickness 5.jpghead thickness 7.jpg

I use my drum thickness sander. I know it is trued and produces an even parallel thickness.
I have a temporary fence that attaches to the surface of my drum sander, and I can easily feed the headstock in for thicknessing.
I premark the thickness I want the headstock to be before attaching veneers and approach that mark lightly.
Does a great job, it's fast, and I don't need another tool setup in the shop.
View attachment 71067View attachment 71068View attachment 71069
I did this on my last build. The drum sander is great for this and so much more. After making my first Uke I did not even start my next until I made a drum sander. I like Petes sliding jig though and how he shows more than one way to pet a rabbit between the ears. If your not sure what I meant by that last statement no worries I am full of BS.

I tried it on the drum sander but couldn't get on with it hence the tool. I also prefer 'dedicated' set-ups rather than temporary mods :)

Top Bottom