KoAloha Concert - Bargain-Priced Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy B

Reaction score
I bought this KoAloha last year off of craigslist. According to the neck block, it was built in January 2010. It looked beautiful, played easily and sounded great, but it had been treated roughly. Although the overall appearance was still lovely, there were two tight splits below the bridge and three more on the back. All of the cracks were along the grain and barely visible. There were also a few small dings.

I decided to make this my everyday player: the uke that lived on a stand rather than in a case, and the one that I wouldn't hesitate to take with me anywhere. It quickly became my most-played uke, partly because it was always at hand, but mostly because it's just a joy to play and listen to. I've owned half a dozen KoAlohas over the years, and this one plays as nicely and sounds as good as any of them.

All the cracks have been sealed and cleated. They're barely perceptible. One of the ones below the bridge can be felt with your fingertip, but the others are smooth and flat. The work was done by me, using Luthiers' Mercantile Instrument Glue and diamond cleats made from vintage mahogany.

Here are the photos. (Note: I forgot to take one of the little "UU" card with my name and date on it, sorry.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbutt/sets/72157646254757207/

Other details: No case. Strung with Worth CMs. No "factory second" mark on label (although that's kind of a moot point now anyway). The reason I'm selling it is because I recently acquired a used Martin C1K and I find its wider string spacing a better fit for my hands.

Asking ... + actual shipping. Buyer can return within 48 hours for refund (less shipping costs). Payment by Paypal gift, money order or check. If paying by regular PayPal, I'll split the fees with the buyer. Please PM me or email me at eightpaws (at) sbcglobal (dot) net with any questions.

Last edited:
I bought this KoAloha last year off of craigslist. According to the neck block, it was built in January 2010. It looked beautiful, played easily and sounded great, but it had been treated roughly. Although the overall appearance was still lovely, there were two tight splits below the bridge and three more on the back. All of the cracks were along the grain and barely visible. There were also a few small dings.

I decided to make this my everyday player: the uke that lived on a stand rather than in a case, and the one that I wouldn't hesitate to take with me anywhere. It quickly became my most-played uke, partly because it was always at hand, but mostly because it's just a joy to play and listen to. I've owned half a dozen KoAlohas over the years, and this one plays as nicely and sounds as good as any of them.

All the cracks have been sealed and cleated. They're barely perceptible. One of the ones below the bridge can be felt with your fingertip, but the others are smooth and flat. The work was done by me, using Luthiers' Mercantile Instrument Glue and diamond cleats made from vintage mahogany.

Here are the photos. (Note: I forgot to take one of the little "UU" card with my name and date on it, sorry.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbutt/sets/72157646254757207/

Other details: No case. Strung with Worth CMs. No "factory second" mark on label (although that's kind of a moot point now anyway). The reason I'm selling it is because I recently acquired a used Martin C1K and I find its wider string spacing a better fit for my hands.

Asking $330 + actual shipping. Buyer can return within 48 hours for refund (less shipping costs). Payment by Paypal gift, money order or check. If paying by regular PayPal, I'll split the fees with the buyer. Please PM me or email me at eightpaws (at) sbcglobal (dot) net with any questions.

I'm interested - PM'ed you

Someone oughtta buy this lickety-split.
I bought a banged-up Koaloha (from 2001) and it sounds better than mostly every other Koaloha I've played. I'm convinced they like being ridden hard and only getbetter for it.

This is a great deal....a world class concert for the price of a lower priced Pono. Consider the small flaws "badges of honor."

Thanks davidrboy and Phil. I have received a few inquiries and some questions, so let me address them here:

1. I'm not looking for trades, thanks. I'm trying to shrink my pile of worldly possessions, including (gulp) ukes.
2. In answer to a question about bellying, I never noticed any but I just put a straightedge on the soundboard and saw that there is a minute amount. I've photographed it and put it in the photo album.
3. I've also included a photo showing the string height. The fret wire just to the right of the rightmost side marker is the 12th fret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom