PDA

View Full Version : Glossy Ukes

Down Up Dick
08-20-2014, 10:19 AM
To those who own glossy Ukes. I've heard that they're slippery, hard to hold, and smudge easily, but I like the looks of a high or medium gloss Uke. Do you have trouble holding yours? Does it smudge? :anyone:

Icelander53
08-20-2014, 10:52 AM
No and no not much. I do use a strap on my tenors. I prefer the gloss.

kenikas
08-20-2014, 11:07 AM
No and no not much. I do use a strap on my tenors. I prefer the gloss.

I agree! I don't use straps on any of mine, but don't notice much if any difference in holding them. Smudges do show a bit more on gloss but it just reminds me to wipe them down. I really prefer the look of gloss.

strumsilly
08-20-2014, 11:20 AM
No. There is nothing like a nice gloss to bring out the grain of a nice wood. the only thing I dislike is sometimes I don't like the neck feel. and that's easy to remedy [ really fine sandpaper]

Down Up Dick
08-20-2014, 11:26 AM
So do I. All of mine are flat or non shiny. The wood grain is good looking, but the gloss looks richer to me. I just didn't want it sliding all over my belly.

Steve in Kent
08-20-2014, 11:32 AM
I've got the Pono MCD which is high gloss, and it's definitely not slippery.

Down Up Dick
08-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Well, thanks to all (so far). I guess my next Uke will be glossy if possible. :old:

PhilUSAFRet
08-20-2014, 11:55 AM
I have none of those issues with mine. Wipe it off when I'm done using it anyway.

kohanmike
08-20-2014, 02:27 PM
I have both glossy and matt finish. The glossy does not slip at all, but I find in very humid weather the glossy gets a little more sticky.

Ukejenny
08-20-2014, 04:27 PM
No problems with my gloss concert. I don't think it smudges more, but you can see them a bit more easily. My glossy isn't any harder or easier to hold on to then my other ukes.

My gloss uke has a cedar top, so I like the fact that the finish is a little more protective, with cedar being a softer wood.

Down Up Dick
08-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Wow, not one person who doesn't care for glossy Ukes. I wish I could remember where I read or heard that. It sure doesn't hold up here. Thanks every one. :old:

wickedwahine11
08-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Wow, not one person who doesn't care for glossy Ukes. I wish I could remember where I read or heard that. It sure doesn't hold up here. Thanks every one. :old:

Ha, they just have not chimed in. I am a fan of glossy ukes, I prefer them for protective purposes and aesthetic as well. But the last time this topic was discussed TONS of people said they hated them and only liked satin/matte. I say to each their own, whatever floats your boat is fine by me.

I never understand the vehemence some people have against choices that are not their own, i.e., gloss vs satin, low g vs high g, expensive ukes vs. lower priced ukes. It is none of my business what other folks prefer, and if it makes you happy, it is the right choice.

kohanmike
08-20-2014, 04:52 PM
I never understand the vehemence some people have against choices that are not their own, i.e., gloss vs satin, low g vs high g, expensive ukes vs. lower priced ukes. It is none of my business what other folks prefer, and if it makes you happy, it is the right choice.

Thank you WW for expressing that, I feel the same way. Why come down on someone for their choice when it has nothing to do with your own choice. I would think it might be that they're insecure about their own choices and need to knock others to justify themselves.

Down Up Dick
08-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Right on, WW, I couldn't agree more, however, I wanted to know if it would slide all over while was playing. I have enough trouble as it is. I really do like the glossy look--rich. :old:

wickedwahine11
08-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Right on, WW, I couldn't agree more, however, I wanted to know if it would slide all over while was playing. I have enough trouble as it is. I really do like the glossy look--rich. :old:

Nope, I haven't had it slide. It does show more fingerprints, but they are easy to wipe off.

hawaii 50
08-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Ha, they just have not chimed in. I am a fan of glossy ukes, I prefer them for protective purposes and aesthetic as well. But the last time this topic was discussed TONS of people said they hated them and only liked satin/matte. I say to each their own, whatever floats your boat is fine by me.

Haha good one Staci...

I agree with you..I could care less what others think as it is your own decision on what you like and don't like..does not matter what others think....:)
but I don't like it when UU members try to convince/force you to see it their way only....it makes them look like they are insecure with their own judgment....

my 2 Cents...:)

Rick Turner
08-20-2014, 05:18 PM
As a manufacturer, I love satin because it's a hell of a lot easier. As a seller to retailers and as a custom builder to some direct customers, I like whatever the customer wants. I can tell you that some retailers do not like satin finished instruments because if they get played a lot in the store, areas of the satin wind up getting glossier as hands and sleeves and pants legs and jackets rub against them. This makes the sheen vary, and potential customers start looking for discounts on "shop worn" instruments. Reality, folks... That's what I'm here for sometimes!

My personal instrument(s)? Full gloss to pop every pixel of the grain and color. My "go-to" instruments have to be promotional tools as well as players.

stevejfc
08-20-2014, 05:25 PM
My Kanilea concert is the only glossy uke I own, and it's one of my favorites. Plays like butter. Visually though, I prefer a satin look.................but tone wise, no difference. Gloss is not slippery and smudges can be easily wiped off. On the other hand, an oily thumb or fingerprint may not be so easily removed from a satin or matte soundboard.

coolkayaker1
08-20-2014, 05:35 PM
On some instruments--Ponos and Mya Moes come to mind for my experience--the gloss does reduce the volume compared to satin.

Rick Turner
08-20-2014, 05:53 PM
It's not the gloss nor the satin, it's the finish thickness. If you want the ultimate in thin gloss, then go for French polish...but few of the current uke buying public will because it's too fragile. However, you can bet your booty that any ukes made before about 1927 were French polished, brush shellacked, or brush varnished. I'd love to be able to get away with a two day French polish, but you, the market, just won't go for it.

coolkayaker1
08-20-2014, 10:09 PM
It's not the gloss nor the satin, it's the finish thickness. If you want the ultimate in thin gloss, then go for French polish..
I'm sure you're right, Rick. Satin's innate thinness bested by French polish's super thinness. Gloss a relative laggard to both, especially if thick.

Gordon has mentioned several times in his videos, most recently two months ago in Lizzie P's Mya Moe video, that Mya Moes have reduced volume when a customer orders gloss. I've never actually owned or played a gloss Mya Moe, but owner/collector and UU member, Lizzie P, said her gloss MM was the quietest of the twelve or so MMs that she owns. .

I have owned two gloss Ponos, and two non-gloss Ponos; the gloss of those is a thick, lacquer-like finish, and I noted a distinct difference in sustain and volume in those that I owned. In fact, my gloss concert size, acacia Pono was so subdued, I sold it, on eBay, to a more loving home (hopefully to someone skilled at pickup installation...lol). So, my experience bears out your perspective, Rick. Yes.

To me, gloss's detrimental effects on sound are particularly noted in two instances: first, on woods that tend toward warmth, like Koa, acacia, etc. (I still own a gloss spruce-topped maple Pono tenor where the volume is less affected), and second, on smaller-bodied instruments (concerts and sopranos) that have less volume of air movement, and thus soundboard movement, to overcome a heavier gloss. Larger-bodied instruments (tenors and baritones) can better move that soundboard. Perhaps this is one of the reasons vintage Martin sopranos sound so special: no gloss (and the very vintage ones, as you say, Rick, are one step better, French polish).

Of course, these are generalities, as most will next mention a gloss KoAloha as being loud as an alley cat in heat. Which is true due to the monobrace, but also the relatively thin gloss, as to your point, Rick.

I've never had an issue with holding a gloss uke or excessive fingerprints, however.

Staci, when you after-market glossed your Kamaka (which did bring out the beauty, no question), did it affect the sound?

Bao
08-21-2014, 12:09 AM
The gloss on my guitarlele is like a mirror! It's just that reflective. With that being said, it really isn't slippery at all. In fact, I feel that satin finished ukes like my Luna 8 string are easier to slip away from your fingers.

BlueSockMonkey
08-21-2014, 03:24 AM
I have both glossy and matt finish. The glossy does not slip at all, but I find in very humid weather the glossy gets a little more sticky.

This is also my experience. My hands move on a satin finish neck slightly more quickly. And yeah, gloss does show off my fingerprints more. However...I just got a gorgeous curly koa soprano (thank you, Andrew & all at HMS!), and the beauty of the wood glowing through that gloss is indescribable. Satin finishes are lovely too, but they generally lack that holographic quality. In short, I like both types of finishes.

actadh
08-21-2014, 03:42 AM
Ok, matte finish person here. I love the natural aspect of a matte finish. I have a 1940's non-gloss mahogany soprano and the wood has darkened with age and just glows. I

I am awaiting an Opio soprano from HMS, and the fact that it is a matte finish was a plus for me.

I would not turn down a good sounding ukulele based on a gloss finish, but it would not be my choice if there was an option.

Honestly, once I am in to playing, it could look like anything and I would not care. Where the finish is important is the smile factor when taking it out of the case. I don't see the spalted maple inlays on my matte concert when I play, but it brings me joy when I put it in my hands.

molokinirum
08-21-2014, 06:30 AM
I agree! I don't use straps on any of mine, but don't notice much if any difference in holding them. Smudges do show a bit more on gloss but it just reminds me to wipe them down. I really prefer the look of gloss.

Yep....I agree!!!

Colonel Uke
08-21-2014, 06:45 AM
I had a high gloss Big Island. It just never felt right, and I ended up trading it off. I think it was mainly because it kept sliding around under my arm whenever I played it. I now like matte finish much better.

Dan Uke
08-21-2014, 07:11 AM

I don't think there is vehemence but some people ask for an opinion and don't like the answers. If you ask what do you think of " INSERT TOPIC" , then honest opinions should be given. For all my ukes, I don't care if people don't like it as long as I like it. Why do we need affirmation from a forum?

RichM
08-21-2014, 07:30 AM
I don't think there is vehemence but some people ask for an opinion and don't like the answers. If you ask what do you think of " INSERT TOPIC" , then honest opinions should be given. For all my ukes, I don't care if people don't like it as long as I like it. Why do we need affirmation from a forum?

I never understand why people need to assign intent to decision other people makes. Recently, I had to once again argue against the old canard that "People who have multiple ukes are focused on collecting, not music."

BTW, I prefer gloss finish, and I have never had a problem with them slipping around. If you like satin and find gloss slipperier than an eel, we can still be friends. :)

aquadan
08-21-2014, 08:06 AM
You want to talk fingerprints and smudges - just look at a National style 0 uke after an hour of playing!

For me it's satin, french polish or a semi-gloss like on a koaloha. Not a fan of hi gloss in my hands although I can't argue with the beauty of the wood it brings out.

marcocolo
08-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Ooooooh....... shiny!
My best uke has a gloss finish. It's loud and has glorious tone. Well done, nothing looks better to my eyes.

wickedwahine11
08-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Staci, when you after-market glossed your Kamaka (which did bring out the beauty, no question), did it affect the sound?

Hmm, that is a good question. I wish I had paid more attention so I could answer it properly. I am not sure. I tend to stick with one uke for a while and after that I jumped to the Kanilea, then KoAloha uke. I will say my Kanilea is definitely the most quiet of the three I own. I don't know if the finish is why. The Kamaka was always the medium in volume between the KoAloha (as you say alley cat in heat volume - haha), and the quieter Kanilea. Hmm, now I wish I had paid more attention - same uke, different finish, it would have helped answer that question. Regrettably, both my attention to detail - and memory - are lacking.

hawaii 50
08-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Ooooooh....... shiny!
My best uke has a gloss finish. It's loud and has glorious tone. Well done, nothing looks better to my eyes.

Taking a guess it is your Takumi Koa concert....those are built by Kawakami in Vancouver...I think,I saw the uke at HMS nice finish and great sound....congrats....:)

sukie
08-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Ooooooh....... shiny!

I agree. I love a gloss finish.

strumsilly
08-21-2014, 08:37 AM
I'm sure you're right, Rick. Satin's innate thinness bested by French polish's super thinness. Gloss a relative laggard to both, especially if thick.

Gordon has mentioned several times in his videos, most recently two months ago in Lizzie P's Mya Moe video, that Mya Moes have reduced volume when a customer orders gloss. I've never actually owned or played a gloss Mya Moe, but owner/collector and UU member, Lizzie P, said her gloss MM was the quietest of the twelve or so MMs that she owns. .

I have owned two gloss Ponos, and two non-gloss Ponos; the gloss of those is a thick, lacquer-like finish, and I noted a distinct difference in sustain and volume in those that I owned. In fact, my gloss concert size, acacia Pono was so subdued, I sold it, on eBay, to a more loving home (hopefully to someone skilled at pickup installation...lol). So, my experience bears out your perspective, Rick. Yes.

To me, gloss's detrimental effects on sound are particularly noted in two instances: first, on woods that tend toward warmth, like Koa, acacia, etc. (I still own a gloss spruce-topped maple Pono tenor where the volume is less affected), and second, on smaller-bodied instruments (concerts and sopranos) that have less volume of air movement, and thus soundboard movement, to overcome a heavier gloss. Larger-bodied instruments (tenors and baritones) can better move that soundboard. Perhaps this is one of the reasons vintage Martin sopranos sound so special: no gloss (and the very vintage ones, as you say, Rick, are one step better, French polish).

The only difference between satin varnish and gloss varnish is the addition of fine particles that have to be stirred from the bottom.I don't know haw it works with nitro, but it seems like you could achieve a gloss finish that is thinner than satin. I think More depends on the application. I could be wrong. this isfrom Koaloha about their satin finish.
"The KoAloha satin is still a nitrocellulose sprayed finish but the final coats are sprayed satin. This is less reflective and has a woody look and smooth feel many have come to prefer. "

hawaii 50
08-21-2014, 08:42 AM
The only difference between satin varnish and gloss varnish is the addition of fine particles that have to be stirred from the bottom.I don't know haw it works with nitro, but it seems like you could achieve a gloss finish that is thinner than satin. I think More depends on the application. I could be wrong. this isfrom Koaloha about their satin finish.
"The KoAloha satin is still a nitrocellulose sprayed finish but the final coats are sprayed satin. This is less reflective and has a woody look and smooth feel many have come to prefer. "

have you seen the Ko'Aloha's built in the last few months....they are now coming out with a much more gloss finish...the Special Edition ones are as glossy as I have ever seen and with nicer Koa too.. it is still done with nitro so looks like a pretty thin finish...

they still do the Satin type finishes but they seem to be changing their final finish lately...to me it is very nice....IMO

PhilUSAFRet
08-21-2014, 08:47 AM
I believe only the thickness of the finish affects the tone, not whether it's gloss, or................. Just my opinion on the matter.

Pueo
08-21-2014, 09:16 AM
You would think that a high gloss finish would be more slippery, especially when wet (playing someplace hot or rainy - or both!) but I have not really found that to be the case. Yes, afterwards, that sweat and oil and fingerprints do show up on a glossy ukulele more but I keep a microfiber cloth in each of my ukulele cases to do a quick cleanup after every session.

I have a bunch of glossy ukuleles and a bunch of satin ones and a few that are in between. I prefer the glossy where there is great wood underneath. My satin ones have rather plain wood and that's just fine.

ericchico
08-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Im all for Satin finish, never been a high gloss person but I do love to look at them. In my head I think satin intruments sound good, would not say better, and they look more real if that makes any sense. To each his own and pretty cool to read all the different perspectives on this subject.

Dan Uke
08-21-2014, 10:05 AM

Didn't Kamaka recently switch to a more glossy nitro finish?

hawaii 50
08-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Didn't Kamaka recently switch to a more glossy nitro finish?

kind of...but Kamka's newest finish is a really smooth satin finish(maybe been doing it for 4 months now)...same as Kanile'a...they have a UV silk finish, done the same as their gloss finish but they do not do the last step to make in gloss(don't know how they do it) different from their Satin finish

Dan Uke
08-21-2014, 10:26 AM
kind of...but Kamka's newest finish is a really smooth satin finish(maybe been doing it for 4 months now)...same as Kanile'a...they have a UV silk finish, done the same as their gloss finish but they do not do the last step to make in gloss(don't know how they do it) different from their Satin finish

Interesting, my Kamaka is there to getgin refinished and I asked them to make it glossy, which they said that's what they do. Len, can you go by and make sure they do it right!! ;)

hawaii 50
08-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Interesting, my Kamaka is there to getgin refinished and I asked them to make it glossy, which they said that's what they do. Len, can you go by and make sure they do it right!! ;)

I will tell Corey to check on it for you...when is it going to be done...
they do a nicer gloss finish now...but most of Andrew's Kamaka's in the last 2 batches(all on the 2nd batch) had the new smooth Satin finish...I think Casey likes the smooth satin one the best.....:)

but for me gloss is my choice too....

Dan Uke
08-21-2014, 11:11 AM
I will tell Corey to check on it for you...when is it going to be done...
they do a nicer gloss finish now...but most of Andrew's Kamaka's in the last 2 batches(all on the 2nd batch) had the new smooth Satin finish...I think Casey likes the smooth satin one the best.....:)

but for me gloss is my choice too....

Tekla always says soon so not sure. hahaha

I love gloss. I understand that most people see the import ukes with the thick polyurethane gloss finish but nothing like a thin glassy nitro finish.

PhilUSAFRet
08-21-2014, 11:29 AM
I have started liking a buffed up satin finish a lot. Not high gloss, but a deep, rich low gloss. Very rich looking and most importantly, you get to see the wood grain better.

bunnyf
08-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Lots of opinions here! Good thread. My best uke is unfortunately high gloss. Looks great, but slippery in my hot, humid Florida climate. I can get a much better grip on my satin, more natural finish ukes. I play a lot outside, at jams and really do find slipperiness a factor...probably not a factor for you indoor players or those in colder, drier climes.

Nickie
08-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Interesting....my 1st glossy uke it the loudest one I have. My matte finished uke is the second loudest...my satin uke, thank god it has a pre-amp....it's quiet. I agree gloss gets a lot of smudges and prints. I still like it best, although I'm about ready to sand it off the back of the neck and true oil it....I wonder what the gloss will look like when it's old?
Hell, I'll be old, I might not even be able to tell....LOL

coolkayaker1
08-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your reply, Staci. Sounds like, regardless of any finer sound changes, the pre-gloss and the post-gloss Kamaka still remained in the same position in your "hierarchy of loudness" in your quiver. I remember your photos; it sure popped after the glossing. I, too, play one instrument for a bit--a couple weeks or so--then swap to another. Fun.

From what Len and Daniel are saying about Kamakas and KoAlohas, their finishes have changed in the last few months. That is interesting. Good information. I wonder about Kamakas, did they always higher gloss the special or deluxe ones, like the Ohta-san? Maybe they did.

Daniel, I would respect your opinion about your soon-to-be-glossed Kamaka when you get it. Wonder if it will be a tad more quiet (yet a ton more beautiful, perhaps), or maybe not. Your ear and honesty will tell all. It's a good idea to have Len or Corey or somebody go over and check on it for you. There's probably a reminder Post-It note stuck to it at Kamaka right now that reads: "Gloss this wall-hanger as thick as the bark on a mature tree."

Ukuleleblues
08-21-2014, 05:10 PM
To those who own glossy Ukes. I've heard that they're slippery, hard to hold, and smudge easily, but I like the looks of a high or medium gloss Uke. Do you have trouble holding yours? Does it smudge? :anyone:
I live in the south and when it gets over 90 and the humidity is around 85% I take off my shirt and the glossy ukes just stick to me, even better than a satin. Not slippery at all, no uke strap needed but I do need a stick to keep the babes away!!!

Down Up Dick
08-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Ha! Right on! And Hot Cha! :old:

PhilUSAFRet
08-22-2014, 01:40 AM
I live in Florida and play outside from time to time and my glossy ukes do not "slip around." Neither do those of my other group members. I do however have trouble holding any of my ukes in the cooler weather when I wear the new, synthetic, moisture wicking knit fabrics with long sleeves.

ukantor
08-22-2014, 02:07 AM
"Do you have trouble holding yours?"

No, but I do have to use both hands.

John Colter

stevepetergal
08-22-2014, 03:25 AM
Yeah, it makes sense that a typical gloss finish may tend to be a bit thicker than a typical satin finish and thereby effect the sound. But, as this is an utterly un-testable theory, and in light of the fact that there are absolutely wonderful high gloss-finished ukes out there, I think of it as a non-issue.

Gloss finishes are shinier. That's it.

stevepetergal
08-22-2014, 03:27 AM
My opinion only: the less glossy the finish, the cheaper the ukulele looks.

I have trouble with an instrument slipping around whatever the finish. Funny thing, when all I did was strum, I didn't have this problem at all.

moetrout
08-22-2014, 04:04 AM
Just play shirtless!

hawaii 50
08-22-2014, 06:51 AM

All the K brands now have 2 or 3 different types of finishes....Kamaka seems to do a nicer finish on their Deluxe models....but their newest is the really smooth Satin like finish(something like Kanile'a UV silk)....

if you told Kamaka to do a gloss that is what they will do...but if you want it like a finish on Jake or Brittni models ..tell Tekla or talk to Casey directly...those are special...I am sure cost more...I think they will do better job on the pore filling etc...

BadLands Bart
08-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Can't beat the look of a glossy uke!!

Dan Uke
08-22-2014, 10:36 AM
All the K brands now have 2 or 3 different types of finishes....Kamaka seems to do a nicer finish on their Deluxe models....but their newest is the really smooth Satin like finish(something like Kanile'a UV silk)....

if you told Kamaka to do a gloss that is what they will do...but if you want it like a finish on Jake or Brittni models ..tell Tekla or talk to Casey directly...those are special...I am sure cost more...I think they will do better job on the pore filling etc...

Thanks for the update. Now I'm not so sure exactly what they are doing but I trust they'll give me a pristine uke!

KaijuEmily
08-22-2014, 12:17 PM
I never liked high gloss finishes on my family's accoustic guitars, because I tend to have very sweaty hands. It actually kind of put me off trying stringed instruments for years, because I could not find a comfortable way to hold the neck. I never really thought about it during my uke buying frenzy. I king of prefer a less glossy look myself.

stevepetergal
08-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Just play shirtless!

That's it, moetrout? Shirtless?

Ukuleleblues
08-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Anyone see my pet raccoon Alice, I thought she was in the "EM+ help" thread but I guess not. She likes shiny stuff (glossy Ukes?) and Pizza. I thought she may have ambled in here. If you see her, send her on home. Thanks (looks like she has on a mask, it's markings, don't be alarmed)

moetrout
08-23-2014, 02:36 AM
That's it, moetrout? Shirtless?

I was really hoping that reply would get a response from some of our non tripods!

chenx2
11-10-2014, 05:37 AM
I am having a satin finished uke, and the smudges on the soundboard really concern me (my hand easily get sweaty and oily). I am thinking of purchasing a glossy one so that the soundboard is better protected (and the smudge cleaning is easier).

flailingfingers
11-10-2014, 07:00 AM

Well said but if the forum actually took that approach the wildest, craziest posts... and, consequently, the most entertaining......would disappear.

dirtiestkidever
11-10-2014, 07:06 AM
I prefer satin finishes. They just look more natural to me. Not sure why natural would be a good thing. I just like it.

It's not the gloss nor the satin, it's the finish thickness. If you want the ultimate in thin gloss, then go for French polish...but few of the current uke buying public will because it's too fragile. However, you can bet your booty that any ukes made before about 1927 were French polished, brush shellacked, or brush varnished. I'd love to be able to get away with a two day French polish, but you, the market, just won't go for it.

What do you mean 'fragile'? Does the finish get rubbed off easily? I think Timms ukes have a french polish and I remember some type of note warning about damage from hand moisturizers etc.

Rick Turner
11-10-2014, 07:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_polish

It's not so much that it gets "rubbed off easily", it's that it's vulnerable to sweat, alcohol, etc., and it's incredibly thin, so it will wear more easily and won't protect from minor scratches...or major ones...like lacquer and especially polyester will.

Also, there are not a hell of a lot of people who know how to do it correctly, and French polishing a uke properly would cost more than most folks think a whole uke is worth. For a guitar, for instance, you're looking at an $800.00 to $1,000.00 finish job. That's after the instrument is built.

Coconut Willie
11-17-2014, 04:55 AM
No trouble holding on, and the finger prints wipe off really easy!! LOVE the look of the high gloss!!!