Glossy Ukes

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
To those who own glossy Ukes. I've heard that they're slippery, hard to hold, and smudge easily, but I like the looks of a high or medium gloss Uke. Do you have trouble holding yours? Does it smudge? :anyone:

No and no not much. I do use a strap on my tenors. I prefer the gloss.

I agree! I don't use straps on any of mine, but don't notice much if any difference in holding them. Smudges do show a bit more on gloss but it just reminds me to wipe them down. I really prefer the look of gloss.

No. There is nothing like a nice gloss to bring out the grain of a nice wood. the only thing I dislike is sometimes I don't like the neck feel. and that's easy to remedy [ really fine sandpaper]

So do I. All of mine are flat or non shiny. The wood grain is good looking, but the gloss looks richer to me. I just didn't want it sliding all over my belly.

Last edited:
I have none of those issues with mine. Wipe it off when I'm done using it anyway.

I have both glossy and matt finish. The glossy does not slip at all, but I find in very humid weather the glossy gets a little more sticky.

Last edited:
No problems with my gloss concert. I don't think it smudges more, but you can see them a bit more easily. My glossy isn't any harder or easier to hold on to then my other ukes.

My gloss uke has a cedar top, so I like the fact that the finish is a little more protective, with cedar being a softer wood.

Wow, not one person who doesn't care for glossy Ukes. I wish I could remember where I read or heard that. It sure doesn't hold up here. Thanks every one. :eek:ld:

Wow, not one person who doesn't care for glossy Ukes. I wish I could remember where I read or heard that. It sure doesn't hold up here. Thanks every one. :eek:ld:

Ha, they just have not chimed in. I am a fan of glossy ukes, I prefer them for protective purposes and aesthetic as well. But the last time this topic was discussed TONS of people said they hated them and only liked satin/matte. I say to each their own, whatever floats your boat is fine by me.

I never understand the vehemence some people have against choices that are not their own, i.e., gloss vs satin, low g vs high g, expensive ukes vs. lower priced ukes. It is none of my business what other folks prefer, and if it makes you happy, it is the right choice.

Last edited:
I never understand the vehemence some people have against choices that are not their own, i.e., gloss vs satin, low g vs high g, expensive ukes vs. lower priced ukes. It is none of my business what other folks prefer, and if it makes you happy, it is the right choice.

Thank you WW for expressing that, I feel the same way. Why come down on someone for their choice when it has nothing to do with your own choice. I would think it might be that they're insecure about their own choices and need to knock others to justify themselves.

Right on, WW, I couldn't agree more, however, I wanted to know if it would slide all over while was playing. I have enough trouble as it is. I really do like the glossy look--rich. :eek:ld:

Right on, WW, I couldn't agree more, however, I wanted to know if it would slide all over while was playing. I have enough trouble as it is. I really do like the glossy look--rich. :eek:ld:

Nope, I haven't had it slide. It does show more fingerprints, but they are easy to wipe off.

Ha, they just have not chimed in. I am a fan of glossy ukes, I prefer them for protective purposes and aesthetic as well. But the last time this topic was discussed TONS of people said they hated them and only liked satin/matte. I say to each their own, whatever floats your boat is fine by me.

Haha good one Staci...

I agree with you..I could care less what others think as it is your own decision on what you like and don't like..does not matter what others think....:)
but I don't like it when UU members try to convince/force you to see it their way only....it makes them look like they are insecure with their own judgment....

my 2 Cents...:)

Last edited:
As a manufacturer, I love satin because it's a hell of a lot easier. As a seller to retailers and as a custom builder to some direct customers, I like whatever the customer wants. I can tell you that some retailers do not like satin finished instruments because if they get played a lot in the store, areas of the satin wind up getting glossier as hands and sleeves and pants legs and jackets rub against them. This makes the sheen vary, and potential customers start looking for discounts on "shop worn" instruments. Reality, folks... That's what I'm here for sometimes!

My personal instrument(s)? Full gloss to pop every pixel of the grain and color. My "go-to" instruments have to be promotional tools as well as players.

My Kanilea concert is the only glossy uke I own, and it's one of my favorites. Plays like butter. Visually though, I prefer a satin look.................but tone wise, no difference. Gloss is not slippery and smudges can be easily wiped off. On the other hand, an oily thumb or fingerprint may not be so easily removed from a satin or matte soundboard.

On some instruments--Ponos and Mya Moes come to mind for my experience--the gloss does reduce the volume compared to satin.

It's not the gloss nor the satin, it's the finish thickness. If you want the ultimate in thin gloss, then go for French polish...but few of the current uke buying public will because it's too fragile. However, you can bet your booty that any ukes made before about 1927 were French polished, brush shellacked, or brush varnished. I'd love to be able to get away with a two day French polish, but you, the market, just won't go for it.

Top Bottom