Interview with Andrew

Thanks for sharing. HMS is awesome. For my money, literally, it's the best ukulele shop in the world - I have bought three ukes from HMS that were shipped to Singapore.

Andrew is da man. I talk to him a lot it seems these days and so it's nice to see his face. I just got a Pono from him today. Twice now he's personally picked out my Pono. Makes me feel a little special and he really doesn't know me from Adam. He's just a really nice human and he walks his talk on how he runs his business. I really can't say enough good things about my experiences with HMS but I better shut up now because most folk here already know all this.

Thanks for sharing. Andrew and the whole crew at HMS are the best in the business!

Thanks for posting that interview, Mr. Perrywriter.

I follow Mr. Bordessa's blog dutifully; no idea why that interview slipped through my crack.

Enjoyed it immensely. Andrew and his team are tops.

I will echo everyones thoughts, plus a big kudo's to Brad for doing the interview. I wish more companies were run like HMS, old school product knowledge and putting the customers interest first is always a recipe for success.

I have bought 2 ukuleles from HMS during the past year, both of which Andrew had personally picked out for me. I also have talked at length with him, over the phone, on more than one occasion about music and ukuleles. He is one heck of a nice guy and really does care about making sure that you are completely happy with your purchase. He is a one-in-a-million and we in the ukulele community are lucky to have him!!

Thanks for sharing -- I really enjoyed that. I was very surprised to learn that Ko'olau has not been around that long. Which makes their reputation as one of the finest sounding ukes one can buy even more amazing.

My first introduction to HMS was through MusicGuyMike and mmstan. I first met Mike when he was still doing business solo.
Then after some time off due to health issues, he surfaced with HMS. I visited him (Mike) when they were setting up The
Ukulele Site in Haleiwa.

mmstan and I visited Mike at HMS and brought him some bento/plate lunch a couple of years back. Since then, of course,
Mike passed away, as did my mom, so I was away from the Islands for a couple of years.

This past Summer (oops, I suppose it's still Summer 2014), I had the opportunity to go back to HNL for the Ukulele Festival
and to enjoy a small family reunion with my sister and her family and my wife's family.

Well, what a time we had at the Ukulele Festival. number 1, mmstan, due to the heroic efforts of GT and Mark, Utako and Hawaii50, was
able to spend the day at the Festival, or should I say, the HMS kanikapila tent that Andrew Kitakis so graciously provied for us. Mahalo, Brah!
It was the place to be. Kimo Hussey came and hung out, jamming with visiting ukulele dignitaries from around the world. Chuck Moore and his
entourage visited and played and sang with us, Cali Rose and her husband, Corey Fujimoto and his band members, everyone... except Aaron, who
was busy in Seattle! go figure.

Anyway, this is a thread about Andrew Kitakis - what a wonderful guy. I visited him in Wahiawa, and as we were waiting for said 'troop' to come
and join us (mmstan, GT, Mark from San Fran, Hawaii50, and Utako) he treated me to lunch!! Wow! Now, while others in the 'troop' had or were purchasing Blackbird Claras, I chose a violin-shaped 'no-name, mystery' uke regarding which Andrew made me an offer I couldn't refuse! :) I had the tuners changed out
by Zach before I left as well as getting a great case to protect said investment.

HMS, what can I say? They are the people to see and do business with. Hopefully, for those of you planning on attending next year's Ukulele Festival Hawaii, 1) make sure you plan a trip to Haleiwa for HMS and possibly Wahiawa to visit Andrew at Koolau and 2) by all means come by and stay at the
HMS kanikapila tent (it should be right next to the HMS tent) for a full day of all things ukulele!!

Thanks, Andrew, for starting up HMS and growing it to be the premier Ukulele Site.

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
My first introduction to HMS was through MusicGuyMike and mmstan. I first met Mike when he was still doing business solo.
Then after some time off due to health issues, he surfaced with HMS. I visited him (Mike) when they were setting up The
Ukulele Site in Haleiwa.

mmstan and I visited Mike at HMS and brought him some bento/plate lunch a couple of years back. Since then, of course,
Mike passed away, as did my mom, so I was away from the Islands for a couple of years.

This past Summer (oops, I suppose it's still Summer 2014), I had the opportunity to go back to HNL for the Ukulele Festival
and to enjoy a small family reunion with my sister and her family and my wife's family.

Well, what a time we had at the Ukulele Festival. number 1, mmstan, due to the heroic efforts of GT and Mark, Utako and Hawaii50, was
able to spend the day at the Festival, or should I say, the HMS kanikapila tent that Andrew Kitakis so graciously provied for us. Mahalo, Brah!
It was the place to be. Kimo Hussey came and hung out, jamming with visiting ukulele dignitaries from around the world. Chuck Moore and his
entourage visited and played and sang with us, Cali Rose and her husband, Corey Fujimoto and his band members, everyone... except Aaron, who

Anyway, this is a thread about Andrew Kitakis - what a wonderful guy. I visited him in Wahiawa, and as we were waiting for said 'troop' to come
and join us (mmstan, GT, Mark from San Fran, Hawaii50, and Utako) he treated me to lunch!! Wow! Now, while others in the 'troop' had or were purchasing Blackbird Claras, I chose a violin-shaped 'no-name, mystery' uke regarding which Andrew made me an offer I couldn't refuse! :) I had the tuners changed out
by Zach before I left as well as getting a great case to protect said investment.

HMS, what can I say? They are the people to see and do business with. Hopefully, for those of you planning on attending next year's Ukulele Festival Hawaii, 1) make sure you plan a trip to Haleiwa for HMS and possibly Wahiawa to visit Andrew at Koolau and 2) by all means come by and stay at the
HMS kanikapila tent (it should be right next to the HMS tent) for a full day of all things ukulele!!

Thanks, Andrew, for starting up HMS and growing it to be the premier Ukulele Site.

keep uke'in',

Wow nice words Uncle Rod....was fun hanging with you too....all you guys from the mainland had too much fun with Stan(never saw Stan as happy as he was)...
I can not hang with you guys....:) you guys were on the move....

hope to see you next year, I will try to tell Andrew to check out your post....Thanks brother!!

Ukulele Site in Haleiwa.

keep uke'in',

Wow nice words Uncle Rod....was fun hanging with you too....all you guys from the mainland had too much fun with Stan(never saw Stan as happy as he was)...
I can not hang with you guys....:) you guys were on the move....

hope to see you next year, I will try to tell Andrew to check out your post....Thanks brother!!

Some year this will be my life.

Andrew deserves all the good praise that comes his way. With three instruments from The Ukulele Site I've had nothing but good advice and strong encouragement. Each of the ukes from Andrew are individual, beautiful, and toneful. Each of them asks me to become a better player each time I pick them up. HMS and The Ukelele Site are the standard by which all ukulele marketers should be judged. Quality products, skillful service, positive values lived out in every aspect of the business. Just the best.

Writing this I wish I was in the market for another uke just to keep the good vibes rolling.

10624769_10201846194509957_3218649658851588894_n.jpg, 10473065_10201846033425930_3769719551173598955_o.jpgAloha Unko Rod,
Was a Pleasure again to spend time with you and the gang and every time you are back we have a ball....Yes I still have been hurting since the festival and doing my best to recover
I hope to see you and all soon again...thank you for the nice words too :)
Yes when I Can visit Andrew he always has the hospitality mat out for me and all....nicest guy you'll ever meet... Always nice to stop by the HMS store in haleiwa and see their amazing selection
too.. If You do have time, CALL and ask if you can stop by the warehouse and koolau factory where Andrew, his dad John and Brother Noa works out from...and the of course the all the amazing nice and fun crew there....Yes unko rod mentioned Joel too...he is a amazing guy as well the best set up man....probally did many many thousands of ukes in his life...
If one wonders why HMS is one of the best uke stores in the world, well in my eyes it's the best...it's because of Andrew is the top man there making the decisons and being more than fair, personable kind and generous....also with his amazing family and crew which he has.... You go Andrew and da gang

Last edited:
Let me just add that HMS prices are decent. There's no hint of profiteering just because it can. My two Blackbirds bought from HMS cost less than I would pay Singapore dealers for them, and that includes shipping and taxes. Can you beat that? So why would I want to buy locally when this is the Internet age and HMS is so excellent?

Thank you!
Every day is a challenge to live up to what we believe in and are capable of offering.
Benefiting others is the whole key, but it's always a work in progress. Huge mahalos for your support and the kind words.
If I can share a bit of advice, go sign up for UU+ http://ukuleleunderground.com/sign-up
Sounding better starts with playing better. Aloha friends!

Thank you!
Every day is a challenge to live up to what we believe in and are capable of offering.
Benefiting others is the whole key, but it's always a work in progress. Huge mahalos for your support and the kind words.
If I can share a bit of advice, go sign up for UU+ http://ukuleleunderground.com/sign-up
Sounding better starts with playing better. Aloha friends!

Well said by someone that has the betterment of others truly in his heart. I was given the same advice years ago when looking at a new $400.00 driver. The saleman said if you spend just half of that amount on lessons it will improve your golf game a lot more then that new club, he was right.

Top Bottom