Another acoustic strap question

In Acoustic Nation Interview: Jake Shimabukuro - Part 3, His Ukulele & More @ 7:20 Jake says he made it himself.

Searching our archives:

Jake Shimabukuro and he was using a strap Olarte
“I spoke with Jake on dec 18th about the strap, he said its custom and he made it/designed it. It's much more sturdy than the uke thing.”

Jake Shimabukuro's Gear? VVVLion
“I think that he used Levy M20 1" nylon classical guitar/ukulele strap with plastic sound-hole hook and tri-glide adjustments as the base of his custom strap.”

A little off the subject, but I wonder how much damage those straps have done to Ukes. Like maybe getting caught on something and pulling the top apart/off, or the Uke being "dropped" and breaking out the sound hole. I was just wondering. I was gonna get one once, but the store clerk/repair guy talked me out of it. He didn't like them. :eek:ld:

When I got my 1960 Martin tenor I started looking for what was available in straps that didn't require adding strap buttons. I wasn't satisfied with the sound hole hook design because you still can't take both hands off your ukulele without it tumbling down and hanging by the edge of the sound hole. And I worried that it would wear around the sound hole from putting it on and off. Other kinds of straps had similar limitations, so I wound up designing my own.

I've seen that strap before. It looks like a good idea. Does it ever interfere with the strings? :eek:ld:

The weight of the instrument keeps the strap straight and out of the way of the strings when standing. When sitting, it is possible to inadvertently get some slack in the strap which can allow it to touch the strings, which kind of gives a "steel drum" sound. I found that I quickly got used to it and can use it sitting as well as standing with never a problem.

I have a mobius strap. It is a great alternative to the sound hole type. I have ukulele with an unusual inlaid sound hole that I do not want to damage. The mobius is an option for when I need to stand while playing.

Top Bottom