Swapping tuning machines

Barton

Reaction score
I've lurked on here a lot and finally joined, don't think I've ever posted anything. Anyway, I recently bought a used martin concert 2K. It is the newer kind with the grover geared tuners. While the tuners work great, I don't love the look of them. Does anyone know if there are friction tuners that I can swap on without having to drill out the peg holes or alter the uke? That way I still have the option of putting on the old ones. If you're wondering, I love the uke, it sounds great.

Grover has various types of friction tuners. I have used the 2B tuners on several sopranos and tenors without having to modify. I don't know about those Martins though, but my wild guess (and it IS a guess...) is that the Grovers will be fine. Good luck!

I went the other way, replaced friction with geared. best thing to do would be to remove the tuner and measure the hole [you can use a drill bit , keep going up or down till you find a snug fit] or you could go to the Stew-mac site and find the size, they have diagrams of the tuners. then you can find a friction tuner with that shaft size. You will have some small screw holes to fill. just get some of that colored putty or stick for filling nail holes in wood molding.

some pegheads would be cool! Now you got me thinking! ;-D I'm sure you can find the maufacturer specs online somewhere...the next step is find or (as someone mentioned above, remove one of yours tuner and measure the hole. Let me know!

Love my pegheds too, just remember you will need a reamer to taper the hole a little if you go with them. Grover friction tuners drop right in (so long as the hole is the correct size) but you are left with screw holes from the geared tuners.

Thanks for the info. Measuring with the drill bit is a good idea, I think I might try that. I would love to do pegheds, but I want to avoid reaming or re-drilling the holes if I can. I don't know why I really care. Also, it's funny, but I think the little screw holes would bother me less than the tuners coming out the side do. But they don't bug me that much, so if there's a cheap simple fix I might go for it, otherwise I'll just leave them.

PEGHEDS. I went from user to distributor. I want to separate myself on this post as USER only. I just got a very nice Lacewood cutaway-electric tenor. This gears with ears and the weight bother me....the looks more than the balance. When a tuner was removed, there was the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. An 8.5mm front diameter of a PEGHED fits like a ballbat in a garbage can! It will involve plugging the hole, then reboring and making a 30:1 taper to install PEGHEDS. My Oscar Schmidt OU-250 Bell has even larger holes. They are 11mm. I will turn down pieces of Monkey Pod with the centering hole drilled so it is centered on my lathe or drill press. The Tech Tips from Stewart MacDonald are for people like me...high desire--medium motivation--low skilled. They were the ones who gave me the " how to turn down a piece of wood so the center really is the center." I know I want to put in geared, straight line,light weight tuners, so I know what I have to do...since I am not willing to pay someone else to do it.

Top Bottom