Check my uke? What case do you recommend

billten

Reaction score
I travel a lot of international flights and recently i have been having a lot of problems with my uke as carry-on, specifically with Asian airlines like EVA, PAL and Korean Air. They are saying that they have new safety rules that preclude the carry on of any stringed instruments as the strings may be used as a weapon while in flight (uhmmm WTH!!!) Anyhow, the last two times i have managed to talk my way on with a ton of hassles and by showing that the strings are all nylon and not steel, apparently this is important, but i'm almost sure that my luck will run out some time.

Anyways, long story short, i am looking for a bomb proof hard case recommendation for my Kinnard tenor, i'll start with trying it as a carry on but want to know that if they force me to check my uke it will get there in one piece. Don't care how heavy, ugly or whatever the case is, just that it can handle some idiot dropping a heavy suitcase onto it and my Kinnard will make it home safe and sound regardless.

Thanks... Bill

Last edited:
travel with a makala dolphin...they're not that bad.

If you spent as much time as i do sitting in a hotel room on a business trip, i promise you, you'd carry your favorite uke too. I have a Fluke SB that i can use if i am forced to but since i got the Kinnard, that's all i want to play...

If you spent as much time as i do sitting in a hotel room on a business trip, i promise you, you'd carry your favorite uke too. I have a Fluke SB that i can use if i am forced to but since i got the Kinnard, that's all i want to play...

Back in the day, I was a sky marshal and flew all over Europe and Asia. In the years since then baggage handling has not changed or improved. The only case that might survive are the aluminum ones and don't shout "musical instrument-steal me". The case might survive, not the ukulele. I'm with UkerDanno on this. Buy a nice, but not expensive uke to travel with. Buy from HMS (or one of the other dealers that do good setup). A checked uke is asking for hours of anxiety.

Before you head to the airport, remove the strings and put them in your suitcase. If they give you a hard time, just open the case and show them your stringless instrument.

Scooter

When I can't carry a uke (like when I can get away on a trip with a smaller bag I don't have to check), I throw my Risa stick tenor in my suitcase. I have a Line6 Pocket Pod and some headphones, and it scratches the itch nicely. Could probably get the setup for not much more than a premium case.

I actually traveled without a uke for the first time in years when I went to Korea and Japan this summer, because I was terrified of having to check my uke. I only have fiberglass cases, which I would never check. If I had to get a case that could be checked, I would probably get an Ameritage. But I would still be a nervous wreck.

I actually traveled without a uke for the first time in years when I went to Korea and Japan this summer, because I was terrified of having to check my uke. I only have fiberglass cases, which I would never check. If I had to get a case that could be checked, I would probably get an Ameritage. But I would still be a nervous wreck.

Yep, I agree. Ameritage probably provides the best protection. But they're not cheap, and they are HEAVY.

When I can't carry a uke, I throw my Risa stick tenor in my suitcase.

Just remember not to take that model as carry-on Luggage. The sight of it on scanners freaks out security people: a cricket bat with embedded spikes!

The other option i am considering is to give up on the checking a case idea and try the fusion F1 bag. Kind of back-pack uke camouflage, pretty hard to tell its not just a backpack unless you are very much in the know.

Too bad Martin doesn't have the OXK in Tenor size. I wouldn't hesitate to check that with a hardshell case

I would venture to say that there are no actual "safety rules" about the possible use of instrument strings as weapons. Some employee got a crazy idea one day and it spread.

I would contact the airline for clarification.

Fact is, a rolled up SkyMall catalog would be a far more effective weapon than a string.

Top Bottom