PDA

View Full Version : Zachary Castro

unlucky07
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Luthier named Zachary Castro who resides in Kapolei, Hawaii? I saw a listing for his Soprano Koa Ukuleles that I was interested in. His brand is called "Ohana Woodcrafts". If anyone has any info that would be great.

unlucky07
02-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Supposedly it's not the same as the ohana ukes we all know and love.

unlucky07
02-21-2009, 04:06 AM
I guess i can finally answer my own question.

I answered a craigslist ad regarding a "solid Koa" uke made from Hawaii. I talked to the seller, his name was joe, and he started to tell me about these ukes his cousin are making. He's a luthier with a hawaiian ukulele company who is starting a business of his own. Long story short, I took the chance, and I have spent the whole night jamming on my new solid koa tenor.

The sound is amazing. Warm and bright at the same time. The koa looks beautiful, and the price is too good to be true, close to half of a comparable uke. I'll post a review of my new uke when I get back from San diego.

bbycrts
02-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Contact information for him? He'd better be careful if he's going to call them "Ohana Woodcrafts" since that's pretty infringing on the Ohana brand...

Can't wait to see pictures and a review!

haole
02-21-2009, 06:06 AM
Congrats on your find! Looking forward to the review. Wanting a solid koa tenor made in Hawai'i + being poor might not suck if this guy's instruments are any good. :D

unlucky07
02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
For anyone interested I just posted a quick review of my baby!!!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98718#post98718