Reaction score
Full specs available here:
http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=120

The most important aspects to me are:
15.5" concert scale neck
All solid acacia wood soprano body
Rosewood nut/saddle
Low action - 2.5mm action at 12th fret

This is a very good looking uke. Nice straight grain acacia, a little darker than expected perhaps but very clean, smooth, and I like pineapples. The only very slight knock here is the join on the end cap is not completely smooth; the join is noticeable running your finger over it, but not problematic at all.

The neck is a good shape, not too thick or thin. The slightly longer than normal concert scale is noticeable as well. For example, the Kala SLNG is 14.75" scale, and it is ever so slightly less room available on the low end of the fretboard (although the SLNG has one extra fret on the high end).

The uke is strung with KPK standard Worth Clear strings but with a Savarez unwound low G string as Jason feels the Worth low G is too floppy for concert. The Savarez is not bad at all, but my plan is to go Canadian with the first string change anyhow (low A, linear D tuning with Southcoast LL-NW).

The tone out of the box I would describe as "crisp", not overly bright, but not real deep either even with the low G. I'm thinking it will develop some lower undertones as it ages, but even now this will fill a useful niche in my tonal palette, especially if it takes to D tuning like I think it will.

The stock gig bag seems like the low end Ohana bag like I have for my tenor - not much padding but well made, looks nice and certainly good for home storage and local carries. Airplanes are right out though.

The only thing I really don't like on this uke is the fret markers. There are front markers at 5, 7, and 10 - why not 12? I prefer side markers anyway and it has exactly one at the 7th fret - again 5,10,12 too would be preferred. It's not a big deal to add some whiteout or sharpie dots, but this is the weirdest configuration I have seen a uke.

I have not played any high end longnecks, but I have to believe the KPK is a great value at $175. Unless it eventually gets supplanted by a much more expensive uke, I expect the KPK to be in toolbox for quite some time.

Congratulations! My first ukulele purchase was a KPK deluxe tenor and I still love that thing. My wood grain seems to have a bit more "gold" coloring shooting through it, but it may be the lighting where you took your photos. I love the sound of mine, the sustain, and the low G. I think, for the money, it is an excellent choice.

Congratulations Jim. I tried a couple of pineapple ukes, but I couldnt hold onto them. No place to rest my breast, LOL.

Every user needs a pineapple.

Expecting mine Tuesday afternoon.

One of these is on my Christmas List . . .

bobinde

It's arrived. Gotta get some pics. I asked for a highly figured one...............freakin gorgeous. As close to "spot on" at the 12th fret as anything I own. I love the Aquilas on my concert so much that I think I'll try their newer strings on this one. I want loud, ringing, woody bark similar to my concert, but a little more "soprano like". Sustain on this baby is extremely good. I knew it would be a little heavier than other ukes this size, but I don't care....only care what it looks, sounds and plays like. Happy Birthday to me (Monday)

Last edited:
We should change NUD to NUDE (New Uke Day - Excited!).

Anyway, congrats. Long neck on a soprano makes a lot of sense to me. If I ever get a soprano, it will have a long neck AND will be a NUDE.

Tony

It's arrived. Gotta get some pics. I asked for a highly figured one...............freakin gorgeous. As close to "spot on" at the 12th fret as anything I own. I love the Aquilas on my concert so much that I think I'll try their newer strings on this one. I want loud, ringing, woody bark similar to my concert, but a little more "soprano like". Sustain on this baby is extremely good. I knew it would be a little heavier than other ukes this size, but I don't care....only care what it looks, sounds and plays like. Happy Birthday to me (Monday)

Oooooh, la, la!!!!! I can't wait to see it!

Awesome. Very "clean" looking.

Dang, I didn't know you could do that. :wallbash:

If you went through Jason, he would have hooked you up for sure. Not sure how truthful this is, but he told me he picked the best one out of the lot for me. It looks amazing so I'm assuming he did.

Dang, I didn't know you could do that. :wallbash:

Don't get too upset, that one you got has a fabulous bookmatched look to it that is gorgeous without extra figuring. A very "classy" looking KPK. I don't think mine is any prettier than yours, just different. I'd have been just as happy with yours. If I had seen them both, I'd have had a hard time choosing.

Top Bottom