08-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Full specs available here:
http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=120

The most important aspects to me are:
15.5" concert scale neck
All solid acacia wood soprano body
Rosewood nut/saddle
Low action - 2.5mm action at 12th fret

This is a very good looking uke. Nice straight grain acacia, a little darker than expected perhaps but very clean, smooth, and I like pineapples. The only very slight knock here is the join on the end cap is not completely smooth; the join is noticeable running your finger over it, but not problematic at all.

The neck is a good shape, not too thick or thin. The slightly longer than normal concert scale is noticeable as well. For example, the Kala SLNG is 14.75" scale, and it is ever so slightly less room available on the low end of the fretboard (although the SLNG has one extra fret on the high end).

The uke is strung with KPK standard Worth Clear strings but with a Savarez unwound low G string as Jason feels the Worth low G is too floppy for concert. The Savarez is not bad at all, but my plan is to go Canadian with the first string change anyhow (low A, linear D tuning with Southcoast LL-NW).

The tone out of the box I would describe as "crisp", not overly bright, but not real deep either even with the low G. I'm thinking it will develop some lower undertones as it ages, but even now this will fill a useful niche in my tonal palette, especially if it takes to D tuning like I think it will.

The stock gig bag seems like the low end Ohana bag like I have for my tenor - not much padding but well made, looks nice and certainly good for home storage and local carries. Airplanes are right out though.

The only thing I really don't like on this uke is the fret markers. There are front markers at 5, 7, and 10 - why not 12? I prefer side markers anyway and it has exactly one at the 7th fret - again 5,10,12 too would be preferred. It's not a big deal to add some whiteout or sharpie dots, but this is the weirdest configuration I have seen a uke.

I have not played any high end longnecks, but I have to believe the KPK is a great value at $175. Unless it eventually gets supplanted by a much more expensive uke, I expect the KPK to be in toolbox for quite some time.

Jim Hanks
08-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Some pics:

Jim Hanks
08-24-2014, 09:06 AM
couple more:

Ukejenny
08-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Congratulations! My first ukulele purchase was a KPK deluxe tenor and I still love that thing. My wood grain seems to have a bit more "gold" coloring shooting through it, but it may be the lighting where you took your photos. I love the sound of mine, the sustain, and the low G. I think, for the money, it is an excellent choice.

Daktari
08-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the review and happy new uke to you!

Nickie
08-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Congratulations Jim. I tried a couple of pineapple ukes, but I couldnt hold onto them. No place to rest my breast, LOL.

PereBourik
08-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Every user needs a pineapple.

PhilUSAFRet
08-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Expecting mine Tuesday afternoon.

PereBourik
08-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Expecting mine Tuesday afternoon.

Going to be a long day.

bobinde
08-26-2014, 08:23 AM
One of these is on my Christmas List . . .

bobinde

PhilUSAFRet
08-26-2014, 09:44 AM
It's arrived. Gotta get some pics. I asked for a highly figured one...............freakin gorgeous. As close to "spot on" at the 12th fret as anything I own. I love the Aquilas on my concert so much that I think I'll try their newer strings on this one. I want loud, ringing, woody bark similar to my concert, but a little more "soprano like". Sustain on this baby is extremely good. I knew it would be a little heavier than other ukes this size, but I don't care....only care what it looks, sounds and plays like. Happy Birthday to me (Monday)

PereBourik
08-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Happy bonding.

tbeltrans
08-26-2014, 10:59 AM
We should change NUD to NUDE (New Uke Day - Excited!).

Anyway, congrats. Long neck on a soprano makes a lot of sense to me. If I ever get a soprano, it will have a long neck AND will be a NUDE.

Tony

Ukejenny
08-26-2014, 12:27 PM
It's arrived. Gotta get some pics. I asked for a highly figured one...............freakin gorgeous. As close to "spot on" at the 12th fret as anything I own. I love the Aquilas on my concert so much that I think I'll try their newer strings on this one. I want loud, ringing, woody bark similar to my concert, but a little more "soprano like". Sustain on this baby is extremely good. I knew it would be a little heavier than other ukes this size, but I don't care....only care what it looks, sounds and plays like. Happy Birthday to me (Monday)

Oooooh, la, la!!!!! I can't wait to see it!

Jim Hanks
08-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I asked for a highly figured one...............freakin gorgeous.
Dang, I didn't know you could do that. :wallbash:

Kyle23
08-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Awesome. Very "clean" looking.

If you went through Jason, he would have hooked you up for sure. Not sure how truthful this is, but he told me he picked the best one out of the lot for me. It looks amazing so I'm assuming he did.

PhilUSAFRet
08-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Nope, sorry, he picked out the best for me~ :nana: LOL

PhilUSAFRet
08-26-2014, 01:42 PM

Don't get too upset, that one you got has a fabulous bookmatched look to it that is gorgeous without extra figuring. A very "classy" looking KPK. I don't think mine is any prettier than yours, just different. I'd have been just as happy with yours. If I had seen them both, I'd have had a hard time choosing.

Jim Hanks
08-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Don't get too upset.
No, not upset. I was mostly teasing. Looking forward to your pics.

PereBourik
08-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Sorry guys, I got the pretty one.

Down Up Dick
08-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Hey, congrats, Jim, I wouldn't have bothered you if I knew you had a new Uke. It looks like a good one. :old:

PhilUSAFRet
08-27-2014, 03:43 AM
WE should all get photo's and have a "who got the prettiest KPK" competition!

rappsy
08-27-2014, 04:41 AM
May everyone here use their new Ukes well. My question is this:

Based on the PereBourik Youtube video (thanks for doing this) comparing the Flea to this KPK, my ears say that there is more bottom to the flea and overall fullness (volume/projection perhaps?) The KPK definitely is more crispy on the high end and certainly is a looker. What made the buyers of this go this way as compared to the flea? I know this is all subjective but there is usually an underlying reason.

I am ready to get another one like this one, so appreciate the advice.

Jim Hanks
08-27-2014, 04:48 AM
I did consider the Flea but is a little more expensive, not solid wood, I don't like friction tuners, and changing to PegHeds would make it a lot more expensive. So those were my reasons.

PhilUSAFRet
08-27-2014, 05:11 AM
I wouldn't mind having a concert flea, but I just love good looking wood too much. Maybe one day, I'll see a Koa Topped flea or fluke at what I consider the "right price" and jump on it. I see one once in a while, but not sure I want to spend that much. I think I'd want a pickup in it though.

PereBourik
08-27-2014, 05:25 AM
May everyone here use their new Ukes well. My question is this:

Based on the PereBourik Youtube video (thanks for doing this) comparing the Flea to this KPK, my ears say that there is more bottom to the flea and overall fullness (volume/projection perhaps?) The KPK definitely is more crispy on the high end and certainly is a looker. What made the buyers of this go this way as compared to the flea? I know this is all subjective but there is usually an underlying reason.

I am ready to get another one like this one, so appreciate the advice.

I did consider the Flea but is a little more expensive, not solid wood, I don't like friction tuners, and changing to PegHeds would make it a lot more expensive. So those were my reasons.

I'd never heard of played a KPK. All I knew was their reputation here on UU. At the price there is nothing that remotely offers the attributes of a KPK. Beyond reputation there's the quality of construction, solid wood materials, and finished sound and appearance. It's a good ukulele. I don't need it to look and sound like a Kamaka: it doesn't. I do want it to be an honest and cheerful instrument. It does that very well.

KPK and Flea are two different animals. The KPK would never do what I want my Flea to do: sit in the car through summer and winter so I have a uke if I need to kill time. It is sturdy and made to go places I wouldn't take a solid wood ukulele. I want the KPK to be my "office queen." The KPK is a good instrument with good tone, playability, and looks. It's solid wood and needs to be cared for as such.

I chose to do a comparison of the KPK and Flea for a couple of reasons...
1) They are both pineapples.
2) There are a lot of Fleas around. Many people know and love their sound. I used it for reference.
3) I actually have a Flea. So I didn't have to go looking for one.
4) Among my ukes my Flea is the nearest analog to the KPK Pineapple long neck.
5) I didn't think (and still don't) it would be fair to compare it to my KoAloha Pineapple long neck.

This comparison was NOT intended to say, "buy this, not this." Jim is right that the Flea is more expensive than the KPK, even more so if fitted with geared tuners. I've had a Flea for long enough to know that I wanted a KPK as well.

Jim Hanks
08-27-2014, 07:38 AM
5) I didn't think (and still don't) it would be fair to compare it to my KoAloha Pineapple long neck.

I disagree with that. I would *love* to see a comparison of those two. Yes, the KoAloha costs a lot more but it would be very instructional to see and hear what that extra money buys.

ralphk
08-27-2014, 07:57 AM
It would be interesting to compare the uke to a Mainland concert longneck, in mahagony. Similar prices.

Jim Hanks
08-27-2014, 01:28 PM
It would be interesting to compare the uke to a Mainland concert longneck, in mahagony. Similar prices.
Concert longneck is concert body with tenor neck - fairly different beastie, no?

PereBourik
08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
I disagree with that. I would *love* to see a comparison of those two. Yes, the KoAloha costs a lot more but it would be very instructional to see and hear what that extra money buys.

Only because Jim asked so nicely...

http://youtu.be/RGwe9k4qZsw

Straight recording using laptop mic/camera.
KPK strung with Worth CM strings.
KoAloha strung with Worth CL strings.

Jim Hanks
08-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks PB. Obviously the KoAloha is better but as you say "it ought to be". In terms of overall "bang", the KoAloha wins, but in terms of "bang for the buck", I have to say the KPK ranks pretty high.

PereBourik
08-28-2014, 06:32 PM
To my ear the KoAloha has more of everything, sustain, volume, highs, lows, mids, harmonics you name it. It lives up to its reputation.

The KPK is a great ukulele for the price. Let's not fool ourselves or anybody else, though. It's no "K-brand" equivalent.

Jim Hanks
08-28-2014, 06:45 PM
KPK - "the other K brand" - has a nice ring to it, no? :-)

aamiikaa
10-02-2014, 08:52 AM
I also ordered one after reading this theard. Thanks! :)

Really liked the idea of longneck soprano, got it yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abB-EhwC6j8

PhilUSAFRet
10-02-2014, 11:33 AM
I still have the Worth clears that came on it, but my KPK concert sounds so amazing with Aquilas on it, I have to try them on this one as well.

PereBourik
10-02-2014, 04:21 PM
I also ordered one after reading this theard. Thanks! :)

Really liked the idea of longneck soprano, got it yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abB-EhwC6j8

Congratulations on your new uke! Well played.