Vintage hawaiian style body vs modern style

KaijuEmily

Reaction score
So I was drooling on pics of the Ohana Sk-28 vintage nunes-style reissue and started wondering.....do these body shapes effect the sound of the instruments? Any body ever compare the two designs?
I really like that vintage reissue uke! Also, any thoughts on that ukulele specifically?
Thanks guys

I have no idea of how the shape effects the sound but the SK-28 is one nice little uke for the money. Mine has excellent intonation and a balanced sound without the boominess that characterizes the SK-38 that I own. Of course, any factory built ukulele can be a dud for various reasons but I got very lucky with my SK-28 purchased online.

I was drooling over the Ohana too...........until I played one. I was saddened to be "underwhelmed." I'm hoping to hear more feedback re: different strings, or to try another one or so at our next Tampa Bay Uke Fest in November. I would love to be impressed and to own at least a "look-alike" model of an early uke.

I haven't played that Ohana model yet, but the pics look cool. My Ohana cocnert sings like a bird, but I don't like the soprano I bought....I might try some different strings, it sounded horrible with the black stock strings, a little better with the Aquilas (I had lying around) but still sounds cheap and tinny....'course I only paid $100 for it....I guess I shouldn't expect much, but I thought it would sound better than my Dolphin....which was $35!

I have an Ohana SK 28 and love it very much. Love the sound and the feel of the instrument. I bought mine from MIM and it is very nicely setup. I don't own a vintage ukulele, so no way for me to compare. The sound is lively without being overly jangly. The sustain is nice and I bet would be even better if I tried different strings (came with Aquila, I think). For such a small body, it has a nice, full sound. I really like it.

Top Bottom