Am7 Fingering

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
When playing the Am7 chord in the 2433 position, how do y'all finger it? I see chord diagrams that make it look like it should be barred at the second fret, but my fingers just don't want to do that. I'm using the four finger tips, one on each string. How about you?

I vary, depending on where I'm headed next, but in general I tend to do a lot of chords that are commonly barred as four-finger chords. I've got a stubby little pinky and sometimes the four-finger variation gives me the extra reach that I need.

How does your song sound when played in the 1st position with all open strings.

I love playing Am7 2433 barring the 1st and 2nd strings with my middle finger. The nice thing about playing it this way is that you control the sustain of the chord and it's a moveable chord.

Try playing a Gm7 with your middle and ring finger. Then slide it down to the third fret and barre the second fret with your pointer finger.

Good luck! It took me a while to get this but it was worth it.

Last edited:
I often play Am7 0453. It contains all the right notes (not necessarily in the right order), and gives a satisfactory alternative flavour.

John Colter.

I play like Newkid recommends and I like the finger options of Anthony and Ukantor gives. Just on the 1st page, you have 3 difft fingerings for Am7

+1 for the NewKid. In low G tuning I like 5430.

Nice thing to do is bar the second fret with index finger, bar the E and A at the third fret and put ring finger on C at the fourth. 2433 now tilt your middle finger up to play 2432 then play D6 2222 C6/Am7 0000 and just noodle away..

I think I had more trouble with this chord than any other. Much more. For a while, I was actually bending my middle finger so far as to fret string #s 1 and 2 with the back of the finger and the nail! I could make it work alone, but chord changes to and from it were unmanageable. I don't recommend it.

I now have very little trouble with it. The trick is not a trick at all. I've told this joke here before:

So the tourist asks the fireman "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"
The fireman says "Practice, practice, practice."

Remember being unable to play barre chords?

OK, I've been reading you responses, and messing around with the chord. Remember, this was originally only about fingering the the 2433 version of that chord. But now, after reading the responses I sense that it's either four fingers (no bar) or nothing. So I started looking for a substitute for the 2433 position that sounded about the same, but was easier to play. I came up with 0453, a three finger chord that really sounds almost the same as the 2433 version. What do you think of that solution?

yeah, whatever you like as it sounds like you know the notes for that chord. It will depend on the song for you to decide which one sounds the best

Yep, Vegas George - like I said earlier, I use that variation a lot. It flows nicely with the adjacent chords in many of the pieces I play.

I often play Am7 0453. It contains all the right notes (not necessarily in the right order), and gives a satisfactory alternative flavour.

John Colter.

So Sprach Eric Morcambe :worship:

With 2433 you don't have to actually barre with the index finger: it only has to stop the 4th string. You just want to partial-barre the 3's with your middle finger (or you could use your ring finger and fret the 4 with your pinky). You might be able to partial-barre without collapsing the first joint, by fretting both strings with the ball of your finger—lower your wrist a little to get a wider area of contact, and center your finger between the strings (this is how a fiddler plays fifths). Or you can use an angled index barre, stopping with your index both the 4th string at fret 2 and the 1st string at fret 3, using your middle finger to stop the 2nd string only. This is a position of last resort, since it forces you to tuck in your elbow and angle your hand in the opposite direction that you usually angle your hand when you're not playing perpendicular to the strings—lots of extra motion moving into and out of that position.

Still, 2433 (n:0211) is a common m7 shape when playing up the neck, so it pays to master it somehow—you can't use the n:0453 shape higher up unless you're pretty limber (though for movable shape n:0211 you might be able to substitute the full barre shape two frets lower, just as 0000 substitutes for 2433).

As a solid chord (no glissando or arpeggiated roll), 0453 sounds exactly like 2433 on reentrant ukes, as does 5430; even glissed or rolled, it probably won't make a bit of difference. With serial tuning, all three still play the same chord but with different character. I mainly prefer 2433 because I tend to think in terms of movable chord sequences rather than absolute chords, and like to be able to shift the base key with minimal change to hand patterns. As NewKid pointed out, muting/cutting off chords is easiest with movable shapes: you just relax your left hand pressure. Of course, if you finger 0453 or 5430 with your first three fingers, you can still left-hand mute the chord with your pinky, but if 2433 causes you grief, you're probably not much into movable chords and muting isn't yet a major concern to you; the other shapes will do fine.

Although C#6 is not an equivalent of Am7 and 1423 (Bbaug7) doesn't serve for any of these chords, DownUpDick was attempting to point out that Am7 and C6 share the same set of pitches. The same full-chord formation works for both, whether it's 0000, 2433, 4530, 5430 or a formation higher on the neck like 5757.

Just to clarify the fog in my dense noggin...n: is that perchance Nut ? Used to illustrate a moveable chord shape ...0211 at the nut end ....and whatever it becomes as slid up the neck ?

"So Sprach Eric Morcambe"

I couldn't resist the quote - glad somebody got it!

John C.

I've never used the 2433 shape, on its own, or as a moveable, probably because I've always used either a straight barre, or the Em7 shape with a barre added as necessary. These (with the addition of 0453 for an alternative Am7) seem to cover all my needs - but then, my needs are fairly simple.

Top Bottom