Ukes as carryon luggage

bunnyf

Reaction score
Anyone have luck with bringing a tenor uke as carryon? I don't want to check it as I really don't trust handing with my case, even though it's decently padded, it's not a hard case. I don't travel enough to justify a new case, so I'd like to take it on board (well, I'd really actually like to take one of my baritones but I know that won't be possible). I can use a smaller gig bag to minimize the tenor's size if needed.

Anyone have luck with bringing a tenor uke as carryon? I don't want to check it as I really don't trust handing with my case, even though it's decently padded, it's not a hard case. I don't travel enough to justify a new case, so I'd like to take it on board (well, I'd really actually like to take one of my baritones but I know that won't be possible). I can use a smaller gig bag to minimize the tenor's size if needed.

I carried a tenor onto a plane when we came home from Hawaii in '12. I didn't even have a problem doing it on the itty bitty connectors.

There's a thread out there somewhere that even has a link to a letter from the head of Homeland Security saying it was okay for instruments to be carried onto aircraft.

Do they limit you on size to the extent that you swap out for a smaller bag or is that unnecessary? Isobaric doableor would that be pushing it?

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/musical-instruments
BAM!

I took my KoAlana soprano in a canvas case strapped to the side of my large Thule backpack to Korea - took it as carryon, didn't get any weird looks as far as I could tell. I'm taking my classical guitar with me to Germany this Saturday, and one thing is for certain - I will take it with me onto the plane!... thinking of my precious $600 Godin being tossed around in the cargo hold doesn't make for happy thoughts.
I heard there should be special compartments for some planes that you can store your musical instrument in? Mainly cellos, contrabasses, and the like.
Be warned, though - put it in the overhead compartment AFTER everyone has put their luggage in.. you don't want some guy stuffing his 20lb luggage into the compartment and hear a *SNAP* all of a sudden... (not that it happened to me or anything)

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/musical-instruments
BAM!

I took my KoAlana soprano in a canvas case strapped to the side of my large Thule backpack to Korea - took it as carryon, didn't get any weird looks as far as I could tell. I'm taking my classical guitar with me to Germany this Saturday, and one thing is for certain - I will take it with me onto the plane!... thinking of my precious $600 Godin being tossed around in the cargo hold doesn't make for happy thoughts.
I heard there should be special compartments for some planes that you can store your musical instrument in? Mainly cellos, contrabasses, and the like.
Be warned, though - put it in the overhead compartment AFTER everyone has put their luggage in.. you don't want some guy stuffing his 20lb luggage into the compartment and hear a *SNAP* all of a sudden... (not that it happened to me or anything)

That thought being presented, carry it on in a hard case, or something in the line of a Reunion Blues type of soft case. Don't do it in anything less protective. There's a good chance you'll be sorry if you don't.

BTW l3uffer--thanks for posting that link. My brain just isn't working good enough right now to get the job done.

I once took an Armadillo Backed Charango on a plane as carry on from La Paz Bolivia to London via San Paulo It was at least concert size and not in a hard case - I had the stewardess put it in the big locker at the front - not because of the size but because on long haul even if you put in into the overhead locker last people are inclined to go in looking for what they forgot to leave out and move other peoples bags about. I waited until everyone was onboard and seated then called the stewardess and asked so it went into that store after everything else I don't know if every plane has them but I know Jumbos do, (I was once on a flight from London to Barbados and was in the seat next to it - there were 12 wedding dresses in it! but thats a different story)

When I took my Banjo ( in hard case ) on the plane to USA, I took it on as hand luggage and had to be taken to 1st class as it wouldn't fit in 2nd class overheads....so I got to see how the other half live and borrow one of their lock up lockers.

Top Bottom