ukulele strap

stevety

Reaction score
Dose anyone use a ukulele strap I have a hand injury I would like to try a strap .I tried the ukulele leash and do not like it .going to try strap to end strap button and tie on headstock do you know anyplace that makes small ukulele straps

I've recently make a couple of posts about straps, here and here. I've played using a strap for years but only recently discovered that I'm actually more comfortable with a thicker strap than the thinner ones I used to use. If you want a thin strap, look into mandolin straps.

Kala has a nice end button/headstock tie strap...

People have mentioned mandolin straps being nice and not too thick for ukulele.

Plenty of mandolin straps on the market, but personally I like the long hollow softy mandolin strap.

Since you already have a Uke Leash, you can buy an inexpensive adapter that converts the Uke Leash into a full strap for use with an end strap button.

Plenty of mandolin straps on the market, but personally I like the long hollow softy mandolin strap.

I have the softy on my banjo uke and love it.

I just ordered the Levy 1 1/2" strap from Musician's Friend. I am a sucker for free shipping. It seems to have a nice sliding padded part.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/levys-1-1-2-cotton-kids-guitar-or-ukulele-strap

That was actually the first strap I ever tried. It was just fine, but then I got it in my head that I wanted a thinner strap so I used mandolin straps for years. Turns out that for me, the 1.5" width is actually better (doesn't twist around and is more stable).

Here's the dual strap solution I rigged up:

This came out of several threads here back in the wintertime, and some experimentation on my part until I got just what I was looking for - something comfortable that holds the uke securely without need for any support by my arms, wrists, and hands, and exactly where I want it for optimal playing.

I've been very happy with it.

I did some months ago end up replacing the two thin straps with a guitar strap and a luggage strap, so I'm due for a new video ... which I was planning to make anyway, so I'll update here when I do.

Possibly today!

Forgive the double entendre title. Other body parts getting in the way was one of the challenges I was looking to solve ... and the title garnered some amusing responses, and just the right amount of attention to my (actually serious) query. It was fun, and helped me get answers that worked for me, and have (according to comments I've received) helped others as well.

I have ordered two straps from Island Provisions, a store on Etsy, and been happy with the product and the great customer service. You can find it easily by searching for the store name on Etsy. Hillary, the owner, is responsive and great to work with.

I updated my uke strap video. I hope it's useful to somebody.

I find that finding a good strap configuration that works for you makes a tremendous difference to one's playing experience. So it's worth taking the time to work out an optimal solution for you and your uke.

I'm just using what I have to hand until I find my 'perfect' uke strap. I use one of the guitar straps I have hanging around.

Update on my Levy 1 1/2" ukulele strap mentioned upthread...

Sadly, it is too small (or, to be more specific, I am too big) to be used with two strap buttons as it needs to be longer. It does not help that my anatomy gets in the way.

But, somewhere in my room is a D'Addario quick release strap that combined with the Levy should give me enough room to put it on the headstock and the bottom strap button. I may end up loving it that way and be sorry that I ordered my Opio with the second strap button on the neck. But, this is a forever ukulele, so no one will know but me that there might be an extra hole on the uke if I take it off.

Perhaps because it was not long enough, but I also was not a big fan of the wider strap - and this is from a former guitar player that used 2" straps all the time.

Sadly, it is too small (or, to be more specific, I am too big) to be used with two strap buttons as it needs to be longer. It does not help that my anatomy gets in the way.

Oh, that's too bad - hope you can make it work with the quick release!

I don't know that I mentioned it earlier but the seller I've bought from on Etsy, Feedback Straps, will make straps in custom lengths. I have a near-freakishly short torso and was really happy to know that this was an option!

I've used the Uke Crazy strap and an adapter on my Kamaka Tenor. I slip the leather end over the input for pickup. The adapter goes over the headstock. It works fine. I also use the strap that you attach to the sound hole on my cheap tenor. It's a bit different feel but it also works fine. Experiment a little until you hit on something that works for you.

Top Bottom