Which movies made you cry?

I've seen Les Miserables as a live musical probably a half-dozen times over the years. Not to mention the PBS concert specials and owning the CDs, etc.

So you'd think I'd be desensitized to it by now, and that I wouldn't get all throat-lumpy when watching the movie, right?

Nope.

Granted, I was able to hold it down to about 0.6 Piccolos*, but still...

JJ

* The "Piccolo" being the official unit of measure of a movie's ability to make you cry. "Brian's Song" is the basic benchmark, at 1.0 Piccolos.

Everyone goes on about Les Miserables being tear jerking but I don't get it at all.

Didn't get even the slightest quiver from me or my girlfriend. And no, we not heartless we're both soft as sh1t. I just have absolutely no idea what's meant to be so moving about it?

Most moving scene? The first few minutes of Pixar's 'UP' or the 'When somebody loves you' scene from Toy Story 2.
:)

Me too, I've got no problem with people dying on screen, but leave the dogs out of it.

My wife screens movies with dogs in for me. I'd love to see "I am Legend", but it'll never happen. If I see a really old dog while I'm out driving with work it makes me sad for the whole day.

These two made me cry - two movies in which I already know/knew what's going to happen:

LOTR: The Return of the King; I know what's going to happen at the Grey Havens but I cried anyway. It was joy and sadness all wrapped up together.
(BTW - the last sentence in the book does it to me too!)

I cannot make it through the opening credits of Gods & Generals. The opening credits, mind you. The music with the regimental flags flappin' and knowing all the horror of that war to follow gets me every time.

I remember watching the original "where the red fern grows" when I was a kid, man that got me. People dieing in movies doesn't bother me much, but when a dog dies, now that gets me.
Amen.
Where the Red Fern Grows, WTRFG2, Old Yeller, The Yearling, I am Legend....every movied animals in it EVER.
In fact, I stopped watching Merkat Manor because they exiled Mozart and I knew she was going to die...

Ok, Mine are:
High Fidelity (when Rob is walking on the bridge talking about how Laura feels like "home"....
Breakfast at Tiffany's (when they kiss at the end...with the cat...in the rain)
Splendor in the grass (at the end when Deanie comes to see Bud at his little house and she is all beautiful and he is married to that waitress who is in the kitchen and pregnant and there is a baby on the floor with a chicken...and it is sooo obvious that they still love each other, but its just not how things worked out....but the real tear jerker is the look on the wife's face when Deanie walks out, and she looks down at her flour covered hands and shabby dress and pregnant belly....in comparison to her husbands past lover...and exhales...) OMG. I have to go watch this movie again.

"Its A Wonderful Life" always gets me when James Stewart is panicking and everyone wants their money - and one old lady says "Can I just have $10 to get me over the weekend?". Brilliant movie.

Most recent movie to get me choked up and fighting back a manly tear is "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" starring Tom Hanks and Max von Sydow. Great story with a lovely sad ending that had the wife and eye with very leaky eyes.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. This movie is so close to my heart. I empathize so much with the main character, Charlie, as he struggles with anxiety and emotional trauma. I had such an emotional episode/mini-existential crisis after I watched this movie. You guys should definitely look into it.

Actually, at the teen newspaper I work at over here in Atlanta, I did a collaborative movie review of it (with a compare/contrast of it to The Breakfast Club). You guys should totally check it out!!! Here's the link (My review is the first one; My real name is Akil).

Ok, Mine are:
High Fidelity (when Rob is walking on the bridge talking about how Laura feels like "home"....
Breakfast at Tiffany's (when they kiss at the end...with the cat...in the rain)
Splendor in the grass (at the end when Deanie comes to see Bud at his little house and she is all beautiful and he is married to that waitress who is in the kitchen and pregnant and there is a baby on the floor with a chicken...and it is sooo obvious that they still love each other, but its just not how things worked out....but the real tear jerker is the look on the wife's face when Deanie walks out, and she looks down at her flour covered hands and shabby dress and pregnant belly....in comparison to her husbands past lover...and exhales...) OMG. I have to go watch this movie again.

High Fidelity is a fantastic movie, and the last great movie that John Cusack has made. I would totally like Breakfast at Tiffany's if it didn't have the most racist character ever to be in a movie in it.

YQ32U1d.jpg

img_wilson_castaway_volleyball_4.jpg

Castaways when Tom Hanks lost Wilson the volleyball. I was surprised that that ball didn't win a Emmy opps I mean Oscar!
I can hear Tom cry even now......"Wilson.......Wilson...Wilson". Even though Wilson heard Tom's sobbing....he never looked back but kept swimming away. What acting....;)

Last edited:
All of them when I'm at the box office and see what tickets cost these days. The tears get worse about 40 minutes into the film when it seems that the same folk who were involved with "Ishtar" also made this bomb, and I got suckered into partially paying for it.

"ET - The Extra-Terrestrial" when ET says goodbye to Elliot.

"It's A Wonderful Life" at the end when all the townspeople come piling in to the house to donate their money to George.

"A League of Their Own" when the rosters are put up for who made the team, and the one woman who can't read is standing there so upset, then one of the other players comes over and helps her, her reaction gets me every single time.

"Mash" TV series, when Houlihan (Loretta Swit) is berating the nurses in their tent and she ultimately admits in a sob moment, pulling her breath in, that she just wants to be invited for a cup of coffee.

Many more to come as I remember them.

Top Bottom