Gotoh on Scepter

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I think I'm going to put Gotoh tuners, gold knob/gold plating, on my KoAloha Scepter. The direct tuners on it now are beautiful, but the tuning isn't. The knobs are very hard to turn, and one of them slips, anyway, so tightening it more is out of the question. These brownish/goldish geared tuners will look nice and work very well. eBay

I think I'm going to put Gotoh tuners, gold knob/gold plating, on my KoAloha Scepter. The direct tuners on it now are beautiful, but the tuning isn't. The knobs are very hard to turn, and one of them slips, anyway, so tightening it more is out of the question. These brownish/goldish geared tuners will look nice and work very well. eBay
Gotoh are a popular replacement for friction tuners. I was fine with friction until I had one with the Gotoh and will usually pay the upgrade option to get them now.

Gotoh are a popular replacement for friction tuners. I was fine with friction until I had one with the Gotoh and will usually pay the upgrade option to get them now.
The big problem with Gotoh is getting what you want. They make long and short, gold and silver, and they offer a variety of button colors and shapes. I was lucky to find what I wanted on eBay (from Philadelphia). Otherwise, you have to order from the factory. That means paying more and waiting a couple of months. Of course, you can always settle, which is what I was about to do until I found these.

I'd like to replace the friction tuners on my Fluke... The are just, either: Too hard to turn - or - so loose they slip.

I know I know, take them apart, clean them, and hit them with a graphite pencil.

Enough of this... are there any dependable geared replacements for Flukes that won't cost more than I paid for this used oldie?

I'd like to replace the friction tuners on my Fluke... The are just, either: Too hard to turn - or - so loose they slip.

I know I know, take them apart, clean them, and hit them with a graphite pencil.

Enough of this... are there any dependable geared replacements for Flukes that won't cost more than I paid for this used oldie?
It's a bit of a futile endeavor, if you want it to both work well and look good (no baseplate overhanging the headstock, which is thinner than most geared tuners are wide). Start here:

Last edited:

I put Grover 4s and 6s on my Flea and Firefly. I actually like the “ears” on that headstock and the higher-level tuners are plenty fine. (I don’t mind frictions generally, so long as they work. I also bought a 15-y.o. Fluke that has the stock tuners, and they’re perfectly adequate.)

Top Bottom