Hall of Fame Forum

Arcy

Strummin' in the Rain
Reaction score
Create a Hall of Fame forum to move long-running awesome threads so they're easy to find. Example: The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread, Ukulele p*** (post your uke pics here...), and other threads good for repeat browsing (Pet pictures time, people! is too probably young to be eligible but likely to make it in on its first ballot).

This could also include frequently discussed topics without a definitive answer (so not a FAQ) such as plastic / knockabout ukes.

I'm thinking there needs to be a "games only" forum that you can subscribe to new posts? Maybe there is a possibility for a forum level subscription so that by default, everything is subscribed, but you can unsubscribe from things you really have no interest in? Hm. Maybe I should separate this onto a different thread?

I would support this only if you exclude all the word games that clutter up my "New posts"
They're not awesome threads good for repeat browsing. I'd expect HoF posts to all be uke-centric.

And your point is a strong vote for being able to ignore threads and forums. I think there's already a suggestion thread for that. There's a XenForo mod to implement this, but it's not free.

There's a XenForo mod to implement this, but it's not free

I wouldn't rule it out yet, though. Still looking into some of these lowish-cost, high-impact add-ons

In the meantime, creating a Games subforum might be a step in the right direction.

That said, I want to be careful. I've learned the hard way over 30 years of forum management that nothing kills a community faster than too many subforums. I've seen it happen again and again. All the more reason to look for more ways to customize feeds.

I also want to implement the Multi Quote option, which allows you to easily quote from multiple posts. I've used this in other XenFora and I don't think it's hard. It would sure come in handy for conversations like this!

Maybe there is a possibility for a forum level subscription
You can do that with the Watch function, already at the top of every forum and thread. Choose to get emails or alerts, based on new threads or new messages.

Or are you looking for something else?

The problem for some forums is threads that are perfectly well -behaved within themselves, but that generate a disproportionate number of posts. I have some ideas to limit the reach of these into the main feed, without creating friction for the (obviously) many people who enjoy them.

Like I enjoy pictures of pets. 😁

That said, I want to be careful. I've learned the hard way over 30 years of forum management that nothing kills a community faster than too many subforums. I've seen it happen again and again. All the more reason to look for more ways to customize feeds.
Yup I think that anything we can do to improve the end user's personalized experience, within reason, would be good. And improving searching (where possible) or a FAQ with instructions about improving search results.

Yes, the Watch function... I'll have to play around with that more. I was thinking more of a "I never want to see this" vs. "please keep an eye on this" concept. So same, but opposite?

I was thinking more of a "I never want to see this" vs. "please keep an eye on this" concept. So same, but opposite?

I'm a fan! There's a reason why forums have both "follow" and "ignore" buttons for other members. You're right, it should work for forums and threads too. I have no idea if this is possible, but I'll look into it!

Another thing that bothers me is Marketplace "bumps" (where there is no additional item info or price change) for the sole purpose of reinsertion at the top of the New posts stack.

Another forum I have been on does not allow that.

<edit> Here is an example:

Last edited:
Top Bottom