Currently Manufactured / Still the Same

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The flip side (future-think) of Guy's thread.
Things we should continue to purchase:

Snickers
Cotton products (they are just plain comfy).
Carhart Coveralls. (Mine has lasted for over 30 winters!)

Wool layers - they are breathable, keep you warm when wet, and outer layers of wool (if it's not totally stripped of lanolin) can shed water up until they're soaking. Not recommended, I suppose, if you live in the tropics, though.

Linen cotton blends - that's beautiful to wear in hot muggy weather (even if they do get kinda wrinkly).

High quality dark chocolate.

Pendleton and Dehen 1920 for wool
Razors with replaceable blades and badger hair brushes
Peugeot grinders
Lead crystal glasses for whiskey
Carbon steel knives
Rag wool socks
LPs
Lindt truffles
Anchor Steam beer

End grain hard wood butcher block cutting boards
Hand planes
All leather satchels/bags with metal clasps (not zippers or velcro)
Hand-thrown pottery
Quality cast iron cookware

Reactions: TBB
Cars with real gears in their transmissions.
(A lot of new cars have snowmobile type variable pulley / metal belt transmissions now.)

Though I agree about Carhart coveralls and all their brierproof clothes, Snickers bars have been downsized just like everything else. Now, you have to pay extra for what was originally a normal-sized bar.

You can still buy a junior cheeseburger deluxe and small fries at Wendy’s Hamburgers, with ice water as the beverage, for under 3.00 USD. Burger is small but it's as big as it ever was.

Last edited:
... Now, you have to pay extra for what was originally a normal-sized bar.
Just received my 'zon order today. $.88 each delivered -> can't drive long distances without them.

SNICKERS Full Size Bulk Milk Chocolate Candy Bars, 1.86 Ounce (Pack of 48)

Last edited:
But mainly whisky 😁 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
I’m a rum guy myself, but I couldn’t help but notice the W (whiskey) signal flag emoji that you used.
I was a “signalman” while in the Navy…

Reactions: TBB
I’m a rum guy myself, but I couldn’t help but notice the W (whiskey) signal flag emoji that you used.
I was a “signalman” while in the Navy…
Is that the “W” flag? I had no idea, but that’s pretty cool - and appropriate! I used it because it’s the Saltire, the Scottish flag, and I’m a big fan of Scotch whisky.

Is that the “W” flag? I had no idea, but that’s pretty cool - and appropriate! I used it because it’s the Saltire, the Scottish flag, and I’m a big fan of Scotch whisky.
Actually, I made a mistake…
That is the M or “mike” flag (I just looked it up to double check) it’s been 40 years since I was in the Navy!

Actually, I made a mistake…
That is the M or “mike” flag (I just looked it up to double check) it’s been 40 years since I was in the Navy!
I was wondering - I wiki'd (because curious) and saw that it was M but then wondered if maybe there was something I was missing! The only three I know (from Swallows and Amazons books) are the Blue Peter (P - return to ship immediately), Yellow Jack for quarantine (Q - which means the exact opposite now), and I think they used the Lima (L) flag to indicate they needed customs clearance upon entry. There was another one they used to signal for a pilot but I don't remember Ransome describing that one (he might have; it's the Golf (G) flag).

Stetson Hats, Western hats since 1865.
Stetson hasn't existed as a standalone company since the 1970s, and are currently under the Hatco umbrella in name only. While the Excellent Pure beaver product line is decent, on the whole it's a shell of its former self. A modern Stetson does not come close to a vintage one, and I say this as a collector with items from the 1910s through the 1960s. The quality declined pretty quickly from the 1960s onward as hats in general were no longer a wardrobe staple. To be fair the same can be said about most hat companies.

1920s Derby
IMG_0730.JPG

1930s Gibus Opera Top Hat
IMG_20190918_225224483.jpgIMG_1645.JPG

1940s Straw
FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_20191003_150637683_HDR.jpg

1950s St. Regis homburg
IMG_20191007_120521476.jpgIMG_1833.JPG

1960sIMG_1453.jpg
IMG_2192.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom