Solid Acacia tenor Islander vs Uma?

JohanShogun

Reaction score
I’m currently looking into getting a solid wood acacia tenor ukulele, and after doing some research I found two ukuleles that fit my criteria (solid acacia and 38mm neck) and budget.

Uma classic ST wide neck tenor and Islander SAT 4.

I live in a place where it’s not possible to try either of them out in person before buying, so I’m stuck ordering online.

Anyone got any experience with either of these ukuleles and can offer some advice/insight? Or would recommend something else?

What prices are you paying for these? Those 2 brands seem to vary a lot in price depending on what county you are buying them in.

What prices are you paying for these? Those 2 brands seem to vary a lot in price depending on what county you are buying them in.
For the islander probably Thomann and for the Uma world of ukes. The islander would be about 100€ cheaper. Budget is about 350€ or so.

In case it helps someone else: ended up going with the Uma, after some emailing with Matt at world of ukes. Haven’t tried the Islander, but I can say that the Uma is a really really nice ukulele for the price!

Matt / world of ukes is also a really awesome and helpful store.

In case it helps someone else: ended up going with the Uma, after some emailing with Matt at world of ukes. Haven’t tried the Islander, but I can say that the Uma is a really really nice ukulele for the price!

Matt / world of ukes is also a really awesome and helpful store.
I'm too late to this party but would have chimed in to say ordering from Matt means you get an instrument that's been inspected and, if needed, had a set up. Thomann is a big box style store so you just get the uke how it comes from the factory. Given several places (Matt included) have stopped stocking Islander due to how much work is needed to get them playable when they arrive from the factory, the extra cost of the Uma so you're shopping with Matt is well worth it!

I'm too late to this party but would have chimed in to say ordering from Matt means you get an instrument that's been inspected and, if needed, had a set up. Thomann is a big box style store so you just get the uke how it comes from the factory. Given several places (Matt included) have stopped stocking Islander due to how much work is needed to get them playable when they arrive from the factory, the extra cost of the Uma so you're shopping with Matt is well worth it!
If you email Thomann before you order they do setups for you as well, they charge a bit for them though. :)

That said the support and experience with world of ukes was much better!

Top Bottom