what are you reading?

What do you think of the theory/discovery about fungi linking all trees together? Is that in there?
Yes, it is in there and Suzanne Simmard (who ploverwing mentioned) wrote the Afterword to the book. As to what I think about Suzanne Simmard's discovery, I'm just an old ukulele player. But it seems to have received worldwide scientific acceptance.

Suddenly a few books I've had on hold at the library came through, so I am now reading:

Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
American Midnight: The Great War, A Violent Peace, and Democracy's Forgotten Crisis by Adam Hochschild
and for some lighter reading: Suspect by Scott Turrow

I don't normally actively read 3 books at once, but will just renew anything that I don't finish before it's due back.

Atlantic Monthly published the list... easy to search. It got a TON of national press. I think NPR has Maia on speed dial at this point. Search Maia Kobabe and it comes right up.
I'm reading a Washington Post article: Culture war in the stacks: Librarians marshal against rising book bans.

Maia's book is mentioned. Here is a gift link to the article, so anyone interested can read it for free:

Hmmm... Well....

Yes, it is in there and Suzanne Simmard (who ploverwing mentioned) wrote the Afterword to the book. As to what I think about Suzanne Simmard's discovery, I'm just an old ukulele player. But it seems to have received worldwide scientific acceptance.
What do you think of the theory/discovery about fungi linking all trees together? Is that in there?
That's definitely in Finding the Mother Tree by Suzanne Simmard; in fact, that was her research. She may not be the originator of the theory, but she certainly pioneered it.
There has been some recent push back on this, mainly that our loving acceptance of this idea/hypothesis is getting ahead of the science. It's such an attractive notion that we can't help but love... but more research needs to be done to fully confirm these initial finding to the minds of some.

My wife has read all of these books and quoted them to me... and I deeply resonate with their theses and find it confirms my intuitions. I agree with all this, IMHO, but...

But that's not science. World wide acceptance is not quite present yet from a few things I've read recently (specifically a recent Washington Post article).

The heart jumps quickly... but science progresses slowly. We'll see how it all shakes out in the end!

Hmmm... Well....

There has been some recent push back on this, mainly that our loving acceptance of this idea/hypothesis is getting ahead of the science. It's such an attractive notion that we can't help but love... but more research needs to be done to fully confirm these initial finding to the minds of some.

My wife has read all of these books and quoted them to me... and I deeply resonate with their theses and find it confirms my intuitions. I agree with all this, IMHO, but...

But that's not science. World wide acceptance is not quite present yet from a few things I've read recently (specifically a recent Washington Post article).

The heart jumps quickly... but science progresses slowly. We'll see how it all shakes out in the end!
But if you've read Simmard's book, she has experimentally demonstrated some things at play between fungi and plants.

Science is about asking questions, and asking questions about methodology and results falls in that category. It's good scientific method if questions are honestly being asked and investigations are continuing. Blowing it off because you don't think it's true (and I am NOT accusing you of this, I'm making a generalized statement, borrowing your response to riff off of) is not appropriate scientific method.

I think one of the things that I really appreciated about Simmard's book was that she noticed a thing in the field and it triggered her curiosity, and she followed that curiousity (and continues to do so), designing experiments to try to explore the questions that she has, to see where the curiosity leads. And she did so in spite of being repeatedly told she was a whack job (and a woman in forestry, silly woman). That is the hallmark of a true scientist in my opinion.

But if you've read Simmard's book, she has experimentally demonstrated some things at play between fungi and plants.
I agree! But that is just one person doing one thing in a limited environment to the rest of the science world

Science is all about finding results that other scientists can reproduce.

Simmard is a vanguard scientist to be sure, and I do hope her results can be confirmed by others using similar methods. Time will tell...

And I do like her methods: Going with a hunch is just as valid as beginning with a hypothesis. I also like it a bit better, personally, and it's closer to the values and way of doing things in the Waldorf world, where I teach. We ALWAYS begin with an observation and then move on to the question.

This is a good method, IMHO. The scientific method has lead us all to the brink of ecological disaster with it's values free approach. Thankfully, this is starting to shift more and more and a more integrated approach is taking hold.

But... this research... it's still just one voice... one published paper... one well received book. The scientist in me says "Good start... let's see if others can confirm this". I doubt she faked her results... but it wouldn't be the first time a passionate scientist fudged their data to fit their "Hypothesis". Scientific skepticism is worth time extra time it requires to complete.

There is a cynical saying in the science world: "Data that does not conform to the theory should be eliminated" Every now and then, there will ba a scientist working alone and way out on the cutting edge - or maybe just far from the academic accountabilty feedback loop - who mistake this old joke for actual operating instructions...

I love her conclusions! I suppose that in the scientific world, that alone would make my opinions suspect as well. This is how that world thinks...

I just finished Less Is Lost, the sequel to the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel Less, by Andrew Sean Greer. Enjoyed both of them enormously—brilliantly written and hilarious.

Now reading a 1938 murder mystery by Freeman Wills Crofts. The plot is inverted, which was unusual in those days. It’s written, sympathetically, from the point of view of the culprit.

Last edited:
But... this research... it's still just one voice... one published paper... one well received book.
Suzanne Simard has 75 published papers and three published graduate theses. In those 75 published papers there are many co-authors. Even if we assume that those co-authors only published one or two papers on their own on the subject without Simard, we are talking about at least a couple of hundred papers in all.

Suzanne Simard has 75 published papers and three published graduate theses. In those 75 published papers there are many co-authors. Even if we assume that those co-authors only published one or two papers on their own on the subject without Simard, we are talking about at least a couple of hundred papers in all.
I stand corrected! Thank you...

Almost finished with The Small Bachelor, by P. G. Wodehouse. Truly a laff riot. Gotta love a book where characters exclaim things like “Great Scott!” and “Sweet artichokes of Jerusalem!” as the moonlight glints off their horn-rimmed spectacles.

Last edited:
Almost finished with The Small Bachelor, by P. G. Wodehouse. Truly a laff riot. Gotta love a book where characters exclaim things like “Great Scott!” and “Sweet artichokes of Jerusalem!” as the moonlight glints off their horn-rimmed spectacles.
Oh my, I love Wodehouse. So entertaining. Another author that does a great job of poking fun at the upper snoots is Waugh, in Rise and Fall. But I think Wodehouse's brand of humour is on another level, Waugh is a bit darker.

Science is about asking questions, and asking questions about methodology and results falls in that category. It's good scientific method if questions are honestly being asked and investigations are continuing. Blowing it off because you don't think it's true (and I am NOT accusing you of this, I'm making a generalized statement, borrowing your response to riff off of) is not appropriate scientific method.

I think one of the things that I really appreciated about Simmard's book was that she noticed a thing in the field and it triggered her curiosity, and she followed that curiousity (and continues to do so), designing experiments to try to explore the questions that she has, to see where the curiosity leads. And she did so in spite of being repeatedly told she was a whack job (and a woman in forestry, silly woman). That is the hallmark of a true scientist in my opinion.
Agree with you. Without such "whack job" people, it is difficult to imagine the scientific community. I love how mixing her autobiography and research in Finding the Mother Tree made an excellent impression on me. I would add that I would never have known about this book if it were not for my college project, which I failed. When resubmitting a project, I used https://paperell.net/do-my-project because I didn't want to go wrong again and do my project assignment right. Because of this oversight, I read several books and even got carried away with some research that influenced my current work

Last edited:
Agree with you. Without such "whack job" people, it is difficult to imagine the scientific community. I love how mixing her autobiography and research in Finding the Mother Tree, which made an excellent impression on me.
You bring up a very important point. Who are the actual "whack jobs" in science? In my view, they are ones who hold on to theories that have been shown to be false or in adequate in some way.

You bring up a very important point. Who are the actual "whack jobs" in science? In my view, they are ones who hold on to theories that have been shown to be false or in adequate in some way.

I was an undergraduate in 1980 or 81 when I read Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, a 1962 book that's still super relevant and fresh, and a very entertaining read. At only 172 pages (or so, depending on your edition; some editions are longer with essays describing the publication's aftermath), he's not trying to beat anyone up.

He was also a hardcore physicist, not a philosopher, but while he was at Harvard as a quantum physicist in the 50s, the then-president of the university got all of his best researchers to teach general-interest courses to undergraduates, with the thinking that everyone needs a basic grounding in science. True then, and probably truer now. :)

Kuhn came through in spades with this little book, which every account I've ever seen of Kuhn's life and work, or the book's legacy, refers to as "one of the most influential works of the 20th century." An understatement, I think. I'm trying to think of another book that came close, and I'm not coming up with any! Let's start with this: "paradigm shift." Just two words, old words. Anybody could have put them together. Kuhn did it first, to describe the nature of scientific revolutions. That ALONE has rippled down all the years since, but he's got the goods to back up his clever turn of phrase.

Here's his basic premise: the old idea that science is built one discovery on top of another doesn't hold up to observation. In fact, Kuhn's first book was focused only on Nicolaus Copernicus and his cosmological model with the sun at the center of the planets, rather than earth as the center. This wasn't the first time someone proposed it. It's just that Copernicus had the juice to break through the old noise and establish that, okay, we've still got plenty of work to do to figure out all the REST, but THIS is our new starting point: sun in the center. There's a before and an after the shift, rather than a straight line carrying through.

That's far more often what happens. People keep going on the old models, until somebody says, "Wait a minute, this math doesn't work at ALL, so let's come up with a better way to account for why", and there's a break in the continuum -- a paradigm shift from the old way to the new way.

There's a lot of refinement in Kuhn's approach that I didn't reflect here, which is why his book is closer to 200 pages than 2 short paragraphs, so please don't jump too hard on my summary as an indictment of HIM. Read him first, or at least an article about him, and we can argue about that if you'd like. Or if you've read him and disagree with my summary, game on! But please don't use any rolling of your eyes at ME to dismiss this lovely little book.

I'll note that one area where Structure has aged is that theoretical physics is no longer the queen of the sciences, but rather instead biotech. As a result, we've moved from a model where theories have shaped scientific inquiry, to more data-driven research. But it would be a mistake to remove data from its theoretical framework. Do I really need to say anything at all about how two people will look at the exact same set of events, and draw different conclusions based on their agendas that are completely distinct from the data? I think not, so I won't. 🤣

I'm recommending this book both because it's a fast, fun read (for the scholarly-inclined anyway! Or at least nerds in general! :cool:), and because it may well be the only book from my undergraduate years that I'm still thinking about all the time. Heck, it's not like I read many books in grad school that have stuck with me as long as this one has! It really is a towering achievement.

I'll admit that he wrote it in a somewhat more refined age, in that he could assume his specifically general-interest readers would have had a grounding in public school science education that's no longer at all common, so it's worth doing at least a tiny bit of contextual reading. This essay in The Guardian on the occasion of the book's (then new) 50th anniversary edition is a better summary than Wikipedia's, and includes some exploration of the book's impact and some of the controversies -- underscoring to my mind that none of the criticisms carry much weight at all anymore.

It's like reading a criticism of Newton or Einstein. Guess what, critics? You lost. LOL Yeah, so what, Kuhn hurt your feelings by pointing out that science is done by PEOPLE and is therefore prone to the same foibles and limitations that people are -- boo hoo hoo. What have you got that's better? LOL Fifty years later, nobody has in fact made a lasting counterargument to ANY of it, which by itself is almost staggering to imagine.

And indeed, if you have a choice of editions, that 50th anniversary one is a gem! Here it is at Amazon, currently on sale for $2.99 in Kindle, but you can get it new for under $15, and your library may well have it. They surely have an older edition, all of which are substantially the same, other than the accompanying essay or two.

ANYWAY, any nerds who haven't read this are in for a treat! Not a nerd? Well, read this and maybe you'll become one! I found it mesmerizing as much for its demystification of scientific inquiry as anything else. Curiosity is curiosity, regardless of what it's applied to. Find something interesting? Tell the tale! Be ready to show your work! It's really very cool.

kuhn.jpg

I was an undergraduate in 1980 or 81 when I read Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, a 1962 book that's still super relevant and fresh, and a very entertaining read. At only 172 pages (or so, depending on your edition; some editions are longer with essays describing the publication's aftermath), he's not trying to beat anyone up.

I just reserved the fourth edition (2012) at my local library.

Top Bottom