Post one song that you think others should listen to, ukulele or not!

There is a girl band called Chapel Heart, after their hometown of Harts Chapel, Mississippi. I’ll post one of their great originals (You Can Have Him, Jolene) as soon as I track down the link.

Yes, the title chorus is a reference to the Dolly Parton tune but the performance is great in its own right.
Jump to 1:50
I bought their CD and love it. They just did another song for Loretta Lynn. Fist City

What a great performance!

Yes, I think she was lip synching to herself. The mic wasn't plugged in :p
Ha! I didn't even notice that! Given what I was hearing I wasn't seeing the tension in her face and neck or the breath in her chest that I thought I should be seeing, it seemed too relaxed.

Great thread. I'm planning on listening to each song posted.

Here is one I'll add:

Great song. It reminds me of a song I always thought was the saddest song in the world, but I can't remember what it's called. It was sung by a guy who was pleading for his girl not to leave. I always said that if my wife ever left, she'd be fine but I'd be dead.

I found it! And yes, it's still the saddest song in the world. Excuse me while I phone my wife...

Last edited:
Wayfaring Stranger is a song that I've been flatpicking on acoustic guitar for ages. I worked-out a Doc Watson version long ago, and over time I've added parts to it, from I other pickers I admire. It's become a song that plays itself now, I don't even realize I'm playing anymore. Muscle memory.
There are several beautiful Wayfaring Stranger recordings on UU, by UU members. I'm going to search for a particular one that I recall, and add it here. It's performed by @wrestlingmatt51.
It's great. You'll love it.

Lovely!
We've got lots of talented people here on UU.

Great song. It reminds me of a song I always thought was the saddest song in the world, but I can't remember what it's called. It was sung by a guy who was pleading for his girl not to leave. I always said that if my wife ever left, she'd be fine but I'd be dead.

I found it! And yes, it's still the saddest song in the world. Excuse me while I phone my wife...

That is a heartbreaker. Etta James hasn't been knocked out of 1st place yet, but I'll consider it a tie for saddest song.

That is a heartbreaker. Etta James hasn't been knocked out of 1st place yet, but I'll consider it a tie for saddest song.
Saddest song in the world sounds like a thread topic all it's own! Country music hasn't even been touched yet for saddest song!

Last edited:
I think everybody needs a little Steely Dan in their life.
I like to share this one just because it's Steely Dan, tinged with 50's jazz influences and everything else that is Dan. But, also one of their surprisingly deep lyrical dives. It tells the meaningful story of Charlie Freak in 2 minutes and 43 seconds.

I also recently learned that the Steely Dan song "Only A Fool Would Say That" was written in response to John Lennon's "Imagine", which adds a lot of depth to that one, too! Sort of a man-on-the-street realists view of that notion. I guess they didn't have a problem with the message, just the fact that it was coming from John Lennon whilst living his isolated, insulated and sheltered life of luxury.

One of my all time favorite performances by the Ukulele Club de Paris. The arrangement with percussion, baritone saxophone and resonator ukes is outstanding. And the break with some twin lead ukes always makes me grin.

Rhiannon is fabulous. Great voice and banjo playing. She's also a trained opera singer
She usually plays the Minstrel Banjo, a large, fretless, early American banjo, strung with gut strings. Quite different from an Earl Scruggs-type steel string instrument. Here's an excellent video discussing the history of the instrument with builder Jim Hartel and finishing with a great Rhiannon Giddens performance.

Salty Dog Blues is an American classic. My favorite version is by Lester, Earl and the Foggy Mountain Boys.

Top Bottom