Bone Nut & Saddle Professional Replacement

Chickenstein

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting both of these replaced, since my ukulele is already in the shop getting a pickup installed.

What would be a reasonable amount to pay to have this done?

The ukulele is a Fender Nohea, if it matters.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

My luthier (who is very good) charges $85 for a new bone nut and saddle with set up. Makes a huge difference compared to an ill-fitting plastic saddle.

Thank you for the reply, Barbos. Am I to assume that includes the cost of parts?

I kinda feel stupid for putting all this into this ukulele, but I really like the thing and will keep it for the rest of my life. Nearly three hundred dollars into a two hundred dollar laminate doesn't compute.

I keep telling myself it will work great for gigs.

Maybe this is knowledge for a new player/buyer.

I kinda feel stupid for putting all this into this ukulele, but I really like the thing and will keep it for the rest of my life. Nearly three hundred dollars into a two hundred dollar laminate doesn't compute.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people buy a uke, play it for a while, and sell it. Many of us are on a quest to find the perfect ukulele for "me." When you play it there is just something about it that feels right. Maybe you've found that ukulele and if it costs a little more to make it perfect, do it and don't feel bad about it. You've found what many people are looking for, " your ukulele."

Since the uke is already in the shop getting a p/u installed, replacing the nut & saddle shouldn't add more than 30 minutes (or less) to the job - my local luthier charges $30 by the hour - parts shouldn't be more than $15 & probably a LOT less. They already have to have the saddle out for the P/u, right?

I put a K & K p/u in my No'hea & it only took me about an hour though I didn't need to replace the saddle. One note, my No'hea has a compensated saddle - if they customize the compensated saddle, that might cost a few $$ more.

And... don't give yourself any grief over spending a few $$ to improve a uke - I've comtemplated adding $40 tuners to a $35 Makala Dolphin & still might! :)

I asked about the nut and saddle and the guy at the shop talked me out of it. He said he doubted I'd see much, if any, improvement.

Anyway, I now have a MiSi pickup installed and really love it. All I have at home is a bass amp, so I will probably be looking around for an acoustic amp soon.

Thanks everyone for taking the time for the replies.

IMG_3601.JPG
This is what a properly fitted saddle looks like. Flat on the bottom, a tight fit with no spaces anywhere between the bridge and saddle. If yours doesn't look like this replacing it WILL improve the sound, more than you might think.

Thanks, barbos.

Although mine appears to look close to the photo, I'm sure I'll have it done a bit down the line.

I've spent enough on this one for now. I'm having Kamaka and Koaloha visions...

So, question? Which shop did your work for you? I have a couple of ukes that I want to add pickups to & probably am leaning on taking them up to Artisan Guitars in Franklin for the work.

Gmoney...

Artisan is who installed the pickup. Really, really a great place. They even have a ukulele room (in progress). It's the only official dealer of Kamake in TN. I was really happy to play one there.

As far as price, I would probably go with the luthier you mentioned, however.

Top Bottom