Introduce yourself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Hms
    Hms
    OK I'll start.
    Been playing about 18 months, play with the Verplayers group in St. Albans. Rarely venture above the third fret!
    Started with a Mahlo sop, which I soon got rid of, ordered an AnueNue Lani 3 tenor, bought a Kala travel concert whilst I waited for the AnueNue to arrive. Bought a Ken Timm's Martin Style 0 reproduction, and have a Beltona resonator on order, which should be with me hopefully in January!
    Really enjoy playing and performing with the group, I have started to play the open mike slots, mainly as a devils advocate, to show that you don't have to be any good to have a bash at the open mike. (That's my excuse anyway!) Currently banging away at San Francisco Bay Blues for the next open mike.
    H
  2. JamieWG
    JamieWG
    I've only been playing ukulele for a week or so, but I've been playing classical guitar for 50 years (about 25 of them professionally). I've found that technically, much of what I can do on guitar translates easily to ukulele. However, wrapping my head around the key transpositions, the names of all the notes up and down the new fingerboard, adjusting to the higher 4th string, and musical differences that need technical adaptations, has been the hard part. I think this book will give me what I need to bridge some of the gaps I feel. I don't want to be one of those uke players who sounds like they are playing classical guitar on ukulele. I want to sound like a uke player. I might not be able to get started here until Thursday (Jan. 2), but will start sooner if I can.

Wishing all of you the best in getting the most out of the book and the group,
    Jamie
  3. Hms
    Hms
    Jamie,
    Sounds as though you are well on the way. I never palyed any instrument until the Uke, apart from piano lessons as a kid that went nowhere!
    Have you come across Uncle Rod's boot camp. It's practice routines in various keys for the major chords in that key. It helps to memorise the chord and the muscle memory for fingering.
    Can be found here:
    http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com

If you are from a classical background see Wilfried Welti, playlist here:
    http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=P...987E43D39F0A26
    H
  4. JamieWG
    JamieWG
    Hms, many thanks for the links! I will definitely check them out over the next day or two and get back to you with comments about them. You have quite the uke collection and I am so envious that you have a group to play with! (I've got a Cordoba 20CM and a nice Pono Pro Classic tenor on the way.) There doesn't seem to be any uke group within less than an hour of me. I have been using the book The Daily Ukulele to play through chords and tunes. Way fun! Love it so much that I bought a copy for my daughter for Xmas, and she's loving it too.
  5. Hms
    Hms
    St Albans is about a 30 min drive for me, so not too bad.
    If you could get to a group I would recommend it, moral support, help in playing plus exposure to other types of music you may not normally play.
    Alternatively, start your own group!
    H
  6. Steedy
    Steedy
    Hey, it's Steedy! Here's a selfie with my copy of Fretboard Roadmaps:

I've been playing for about two and a half years, but I'm still a beginner, mainly because I don't apply myself. People say I'm not very good, but they overestimate me. Anyway, I've decided to do a bit better, and my goal for this year is to learn to play like Jake! (May as well aim high, right?)

I hope that taking part in this group will encourage me to actually dig into the book and learn something. Who knows, I might even start practicing! So please excuse my almost complete lack of knowledge, talent, and dedication, as I attempt to learn more than three chords and a strum on my ukulele.

BTW, if you don't like my photo, just be glad I didn't post my twerking video!
  7. JamieWG
    JamieWG
    Steedy, what a fabulous introduction. I see you managed to score a copy of the book that's printed backwards! Welcome aboard. We're going to need your great sense of humor around here!

Jamie
  8. 1300cc
    1300cc
    hi im pol, joined this group hoping i will understand better how to use the fretboard map
  9. JamieWG
    JamieWG
    Welcome aboard, Pol! Feel free to post any questions or helpful links to the group. Whining is okay too!

Jamie
  10. rowjimmytour
    rowjimmytour
    Hello, uke was my first instrument I sat down and really tried to play but after three years I still have a lot to learn. But I am still trying and still have a smile on my face. I started roadmap last Spring but I take each chapter slow and I am on chapter 8 chord soloing but always review each chapter before I go on to the next and practice the book a least three times a week for a hour and half.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast