Mahogany,Cedar or Mango???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. craigp
    craigp
    Xmas is on it's way and so is my mainland concert with gold friction tuners and amber knobs but which wood?.
    Only having heard them on youtube I'm in a bit of a dilemma,I love the punchy sound of the red cedar and the mellow tone of the mahogany but am I getting the better quality sound if I pay the extra and opt for the mango?
    I understand that beauty is in the ear of the beholder I would greatly appreciate any advice given.
    Thanks in advance for any reply's
    Craig
  2. marymac
    marymac
    I just ordered a Mainland Mango Concert last week. It's supposed to be here Thursday so I'll let you know what it's like when I get it Craig. This is my first Mainland so I won't be able to compare it to the other woods.
  3. craigp
    craigp
    Thanks Marymac, it seems to me to be the most attractive option Thanks for taking the time to reply and I hope your new uke lives up to your expectations(I'm sure it will).
    I will keep an eye out for your post.
    Craig
  4. marymac
    marymac
    Ok, I got my Mainland Mango Concert Uke! It's a beauty. The workmanship seems excellent - no kludgy edges like I found on the fretboard of my Kala (which I otherwise love.) The tone seemed extremely subdued when I first unboxed it but cleared up quickly when I started playing. I think that even the small amount of playing I've done in the 1 day I've had it has really opened up the tone pretty quickly.

One thing I did was change the strings though. I liked the way the Aquila strings sounded on it but Aquilas are pretty tough on my fingers so I changed the strings to Worth Clears. Wow! The uke now has a nice ring to it. Note to self: order more Worth Clears.They make all my ukes sound great (at least to me!)

(continued in next post)
  5. marymac
    marymac
    (continued - since this exceeded the 1000 character limit...)

As far as comparisons, I don't have any other Mainlands to compare it to so I can't say if the cedar or mahogany is different. Certainly the mango is the mellowest uke I have now, similar to the Kala acacia tenor which is pretty mellow too.

Compared to my KoAloha soprano - the KoAloha is still head and shoulders above it in tone quality and overall resonance, but cost a lot more.

Compared to my Kamaka Pineapple soprano - the Mainland has a more jovial sound while the Kamaka is more silky and woody at the same time (it's the koa!) Again, though, the Mainland holds its own for a whole lot less moolah.

I did a few audio recordings to compare the tone of each uke as I changed the strings on them to Worths so I'll try to get the mp3s of the Mainland with Aquilas and Mainland with Worths posted tomorrow.
  6. craigp
    craigp
    Thanks Marymac
    I placed an order for my Mango Concert this morning,nice to hear you seem very happy with yours,I have only used Aquillas but they do seem to do me a bit of fingernail damage so I will try a set of Worth Clears.
    I will let you know how I get on with it when I get it although that may be after xmas unless I can get around the wife(any tips).
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
    Craig
  7. craigp
    craigp
    Hi Marymac
    I've had my uke for a couple of weeks now and am very impressed with it though the wife hasn't really let me have it much as its for xmas. It has been to a couple of drinky nights in my ukulele club (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxJ8UqNdjY) shameless plug there,, where it has had a lot of possitive attention, in a room full of people all playing different stuff it really rings out so, as you can tell I'm very happy with it. It's a stunning looking thing and in my opinion it competes very well against the K's and the Ohanas I have played with.I've not tried the Worth Clears as yet but I am interested to hear the difference.
    Thanks for your information and advice
    Keep in touch
    Craig
  8. marymac
    marymac
    I'm glad you're enjoying your Mainland Craig! I lent mine to my nephew last week and his mom says he hasn't stopped playing it since. I put a low G on it and it really sounds great with that too. I'm keeping an eye out for the new banjo ukes that Mainland is coming out with sometime soon. I still like the Worth Clears are still fantastic but I also like the Southcoast strings now too.
  9. bgrif
    bgrif
    I received my Red Cedar Concert this week and it is sweet. Great "medium" tone with sustain that goes on forever. Smells great, too!
  10. craigp
    craigp
    I still love my Mainland after a couple of months it seems to get better all the time, Lots of sustain and volume. Everybody who has had a dabble on it loves it( I wish they would keep their greasy paws off) it draws a lot of admiring glances and uke envy too. The smell thing sounds a bit freaky but mine still smells great too, not that I'm into uke sniffing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast