The Uke that dosen't exist - part 1

1. studemobile
    studemobile
    OK, Crazytalk...a ukulele with steel strings? Well, technically not. However my journey has led me to build and modify instruments using steel strings in a low G - C tuning configuration.
    I have played guitar and banjo for years but as I am now a 65 year old with a touch of arthritis and have found it difficult to play the old six string. So I eventually stumbled upon the ukulele and found that the chord formations for low G - C tuning were doable. As a bonus I found it also suited my limited vocal abilities. So I started with a Tenor ukulele. I found a Baritone allowed me to use a capo to extend possibilities so I ended up with that size instrument. But I always missed the feel of steel strings.
    grandpag123.com
    [url]https://soundcloud.com/grandpag123
  2. Futurethink
    Futurethink
    I'm curious about how this group is different from the Steel String Electric Ukuleles group. Is this group strictly for discussion of acoustic steel stringers?

On my tenor I used the four lightest gauge strings from a guitar set to get GCEA tuning. I found I could also use the middle four strings from a guitar set to get DGBE tuning on my tenor ukulele. This is on a Vorson electric tenor with a truss rod in the neck.
  3. studemobile
    studemobile
    My intent was to have conversation about any type of instrument but not limited to solidbody electric. So yes, acoustic instruments, that is "the uke that doesn't exist".
  4. mds725
    mds725
    "My intent was to have conversation about any type of instrument but not limited to solidbody electric. So yes, acoustic instruments, that is 'the uke that doesn't exist' ".

Oh, but they do!

http://www.om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P140821003
  5. Benjolele
    Benjolele
    Pono also makes a steel string acoustic. I've never seen one in person, but I have seen them on the interwebs. I like the idea, and I love my steel string Risa electric, but I'd really like to play one before shelling out hundreds of dollars. I'm hoping this is going to be a new trend and there will be more available soon.