Strings on CR tenor ukes

1. foxfair
    foxfair
    Old topic, but here it goes again.... I just received my CR uke recently, it seems that Aquila strings on it but I am not a fan of Aquila. Nothing wrong just a personal preference. Just a quick question of any owner has a CR tenor longer than me: What string did you swap in the next cycle? I'm thinking about southcoastukes' light, or Worth CH-LG. I want it to be different from Koa's mellow sound.
  2. gyosh
    gyosh
    I don't have a Compass Rose . . . yet, but I do have a uke I built in Rick's class. When I switched out strings I tried Worth's (the hard, clear type; I don't remember the model number), and then Southcoast G650 (wound g, wound c) and the volume of the uke almost doubled. I went with the wound set because I was looking to alleviate some of the low end "boominess" in my Kamaka HF-3 and that's the set Dirk recommended. They did the trick on my Kamaka so I put them on my Turner Kit uke as well (mahogany w/ceder top). They sound great! You might also want to do a little checking into Ukulele Creation's PhD strings. They're new. I've since put those on my Kamaka and really like the balanced tone.
  3. localmana
    localmana
    Hi all, I just joined the CR club today. Great Uke. I asked Rick to make me one with a Cedar top, Rosewood body and peghed tuners. I went into Rick's shop and compared the sounds on several of his ukes and the Aquillas really stood out so I got Aquillas. However, I recently strung another uke (Ohana concert with the same wood combinations of a cedar top and a rosewood body) with Worth clears (with Low G). Initially, they didn't sound as "loud" or "bright" but after playing it for awhile, I started to really like the warmer sound of the Worths. I think, side to side, the Aquillas really stand out initially but I think the Worths "grow on you." I will probably try Worths when I re-string the CR.
    Club T shirt anyone? I asked Rick to design one but I think he's got enough on his plate for now.
    Alan
  4. foxfair
    foxfair
    +1 for T shirt if Rick(or even others) has the design and make it happen!
  5. foxfair
    foxfair
    Just restung with Worth CH-LGHD set, could be the same one @gyosh mentioned. Not stay in tune yet, but sound better already. I may be biased because I never like Aquila
  6. byjimini
    byjimini
    I've been a fan of Worth Clears since my Sceptre came strung with them, and that's what I'll put on the CR when it arrives.
  7. ukulelecowboy
    ukulelecowboy
    I've got Southcoast Linears on mine. I play GCEA ukes so I really like the tone and quality. Great strings.