#2 The Major Scale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Kayak Jim
    Kayak Jim
    I had a bit of a revelation last night regarding this material on scales. I practice scales a bit as finger exercise but couldn't understand what the big deal was in the context of this book. Now I get that knowing the steps in a scale (whole, whole, half....) is essential in figuring which note is the third, fifth, etc. in making up a chord.

So in the A chord the third is Db not C since B-C is only a half step and first to third needs to be 2 whole steps. And from the third to the fifth is 1 1/2 steps- 1 1/2 steps from Db is E

Jamie explained it above in terms of number of frets but steps works for me.
  2. JamieWG
    JamieWG
    The third above A is C#. It has to have the name "C" in order to be a third. Technically it is the same note as D flat, but it is a different context. The spelling of the A major chord has to be 1-3-5 (ACE), so any alterations to that spelling are made with the sharps and flats. (A C# E)
  3. ogg
    ogg
    I am also camped in chapter 2...learning the scales in all the positions up the neck. Still working on the 'C' scale...this is gonna take a while. Wonder what the most useful scales to learn are? I'm thinking 'C', 'F', and 'G'? At least I'll know all the fretboard note locations...
  4. Peterjens
    Peterjens
    I made a simple Excel spreadsheet to show 1,3, and 5 plus the minors and 7th. I couldn't figure out how to post it but if you want it, please send me a request at peterjensberger@gmail.com.

I tried to make a pdf but it didn't turn out so an .xls is all I have.
  5. Peterjens
    Peterjens
    Hi - I am at a standstill but am hoping for breakthrough.
    Saw this thread today and parts of it are helpful.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...errerid=102619
  6. JamieWG
    JamieWG
    Peter, I've been at a standstill too. I've been having way too much fun learning new pieces and nurturing my UAS, and not practicing this kind of material. But, onward! I am determined to stop being such a hedonist and get down to business!
  7. ogg
    ogg
    Peter: Thanks for the link. This is great stuff.
  8. Peterjens
    Peterjens
    Here is a related lesson from Aaron (of Mya Moe) -

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...errerid=102619
  9. Dulcilo
    Dulcilo
    I also stalled out here. Working for a living intrudes on my ukulele time. I hope to get back to it after this busy season is over. Has any one figured out a way to make this fun???
  10. dktoller
    dktoller
    Working through the scales was boring and has proven less useful for me than some of the later material. Don't get stuck on this. Skipping ahead to the next few chapters makes sense and then you can revisited this again later. It may seem more relevant once you've worked through other parts of the book.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12