Plastic Head

1. Down Up Dick
    Down Up Dick
    I just bought a new Gold Tone BUT Tenor, and it has a Remo plastic lookin' head on it. What about it? Is it good? Okay? It looks cheap to me, but Remo's a really good name in drumheads. I like the skin lookin' one (also a Remo) on my other Banjolele better.
  2. fynger
    fynger
    It all depends on the sound you want...the Plastic head will give a much brighter and possibly louder sound....personally i prefer the skin heads....just your choice really.....visibly the skin heads look better too.
  3. IamNoMan
    IamNoMan
    Plastic heads are your best bet if you play away from home at all. They are louder than skin heads. I like Remos. If you go the skin head route make sure you have good tuners. Your going to need them.
  4. Down Up Dick
    Down Up Dick
    Well, I finally got around to stuffing my new Banjolele with some of my wife's quilting padding. It's still loud, but it's not so harsh and ringy. I like it better, and I'm glad I did it so far.

I also re-attached the strap, and it fits better too. I've been adjusting and re-adjusting it ever since I got it. I'm gonna like it, I think.

Busy -busy -busy!
  5. Henning
    Henning
    To supress the harshness.... I agree on, but don't you want a ringing tone to some degree?
    I kind of appreciate it in my banjo ukes at least. I think the Remo head is among the best and I don't think the Remo
    head makers would really appreciate it if they got to hear that you call it plastic (even though that is exactly what it is).
    It is supposed to be called synthetic, I guess. ;-)
  6. Down Up Dick
    Down Up Dick
    Well, today I removed the padding that I had in the pot. The tone was weak and too boring for a banjo. It's loud and ringing, but maybe I'll get used to it. Right now, I like it better sans wad.

Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!
  7. IamNoMan
    IamNoMan
    Hey Dick I just got a Gold Tone BUT too. The tone problem I work around with a rolled-up piece of chamois cloth stuffed under the strings below the bridge. My biggest issue with the Remo PVC head is the feel of it gives me the creeps.
  8. Jim Yates
    Jim Yates
    I like the Fiberskin heads. My banjos have Fiberskin heads and they look great and are not as brittle/sharp sounding as the mylar heads that most bluegrassers use.
    All of my 3 banjoleles have old skin heads. These seem to have settled and don't go loose in high humidity the way a new skin head will do. One of the banjoleles had the old skin re-applied last week as the flesh hoop was badly bent when I got it. The drum maker who did it made a new flesh hoop, so I'll have to see if it acts like a new skin or an old settled skin.

Mylar (plastic) heads made by Remo and other companies come in different varieties. Besides the Fiberskin, there is a frosted top, which looks duller and the frosting eventually wears off where your fingers hit it, giving it a cool, played in look. There is the frosted bottom type with the white colouring sprayed on the inside of the head and it has a shinier look and will not wear off. There are also clear and heads that seem to give a sharper tone.
  9. Down Up Dick
    Down Up Dick
    My Lanikai Resonator Banjolele has a Remo Weatherking head on it which I think is pretty sharp looking. I like the feel of it too. My Gold Tone has a Remo clear plastic one which looks cheap to me, and I don't like the feel of it. I really like both of my Banjoleles though. Especially the Gold Tone.

Let the banjos ring out!
  10. k0k0peli
    k0k0peli
    I've never needed to mess with my banjo heads other than maintaining tightness. They are all old. The Orlando (Japan) 5-string was probably made in the 1970s and has a well-behaved plastic head. The Varsity banjo-uke is probably pre-1930; the Guckert(?) banjo-mandolin is possible pre-1900. Both have sweat-stained skin heads. Both are definitely helped by a bit of cloth stuffed under the strings behind the bridge; otherwise, they sound echo-y and muddy.