Greetings from the UK

Korala Girl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am an English girl who is just beginning to learn to play the Ukulele. I have bought a Korala Ukulele (hence I chose the username "Korala Girl"), and I hope to be able to play a few songs on it soon! I am very interested in learning to play Fingerstyle, and find Jake Shimabukuro's Ukulele playing very inspirational!

When I am not hurting my fingers learning to play the Uke, I love to enjoy Fantasy & Science Fiction Art, Movies, Video Games, Comics and Novels. I also love creating Pencil and Colour Pencil Art, Writing Fiction, Collecting Dolls House Miniatures and Action Figures.

Hello! Welcome to the Underground. Lots of Brits on the boards here. Which part of England do you entertain with your uke?

Welcome to UU. Had to look up Korala Ukulele. They look very nice. Which did you get and how do you like it?

Hi Pete, Thank you! Glad to hear I'm not the only Brit here! :) I am from the North West of England. I wouldn't say I'm quite entertaining people with my uke yet though! I am learning tuning and strumming! I think I'm gradually getting better at both! The digital tuner is helping, though I need to remember which gearhead for which string, as I kept turning it and nothing changed - then I realised I was turning the wrong gearhead! Oops! LOL! But I'm having fun!

Hi Vanflynn, Thank you! I have a Black Korala, it is the basic budget one, which I hope is good for complete beginners like me? I like it very much so far, I have managed to tune it, and I am learning how to strum. It sounds very good to me, so I hope I managed to get a good quality budget Uke! My down stroke isn't too bad, but somehow I get confused as to how to do an upstroke? I don't know exactly how to turn my finger / thumb for it?

Can I ask a couple of quick questions about the forum?

1) For some reason I can't get my signature to show yet, just the code: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]. I do have the image uploaded in the Edit Signature section, am guessing it might not show yet as I am new to the forum?

2) And is there any way to disable the CAPTCHA's when we write a new post? I am struggling with them! The hardest CAPTCHA's I have ever come across! LOL! Is this also because I am new, and will they go away after a while?

Hi there. Another English member here (Chesterfield). The captcha goes away after about 1- posts or so, the sig starts working at about the same time.

Hi The Big Kahuna! I'm very much looking forward to that! :)
Great to see another English member! Is the Ukulele played all across the world? From what little I have learnt so far, it seems to be a great traveller! Handy size for that too!

Hi Cantcook1! I think I'm just a little south of you! (Although my geography isn't great! lol!) :)

Yes I do, though I haven't updated it in awhile! The place I tend to update my art more often is my Art Blog, which you can find here:

http://sketchinggirl.blogspot.co.uk/

There are also links in the right column to my art elsewhere on the web, as well as to my DeviantArt Page. I consider myself to be an amateur artist, so please be kind! :)

Wow, Thank you The Big Kahuna! :)
Though I can't hardly draw anything with a computer! I can mess around with photo editing packages ok, but when I use Paint to draw on the computer, they tend to turn out like a child's painting! LOL, fun but basic!
Your digital work is great! I love the robot! The MXR Phase 90 device and the Chess Piece face look really good too! I'm very impressed! :)

Hi Lalou! From Geordieland? Should I say "Why Aye Pet?" Or did I get that completely wrong? Apologies if I did, I think my only knowledge of Geordieland comes from watching 'Auf Wiedersehen, Pet' and Robson Green! lol! But thank you for the welcome! :)

Last edited:
Hiya and welcome, another English girl (old girl!) here! You'll have to get used to used to Kahuna, his wit is so razor-sharp that he sometimes cuts himself with it! We do love him though! You'll have such fun on here, that you'll cut down your uke-playing time ..... DON'T!!!! Have fun!

By the way, when you've got 10 or so posts under your belt, take a look at nUUbs group - for newbies.....:D

Korala, if you don't have one already, I strongly recommend a graphics tablet. The Bamboo range of tablets are excellent apparently. I can't Photoshop without a tablet now.

Hi ya and welcome aboard the mighty UU and i am another inhabitant of england :( look forward to seeing you around the forum. Im off to check out your artwork now , i have dabbled in water colour painting in the past but since taking up the uke i havent picked up a paint brush up for over 18 months or so i must get back into it one day.
Anyway a great bunch of reprobates on here, friendly ,helpful and encourging all the best from me :)

Hi Korala Girl! Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new here as well. Many friendly people here. By the way, I started life in Newbury, Berkshire and you can see where I live now.

Hi Everyone, I am an English girl who is just beginning to learn to play the Ukulele. I have bought a Korala Ukulele (hence I chose the username "Korala Girl"), and I hope to be able to play a few songs on it soon! I am very interested in learning to play Fingerstyle, and find Jake Shimabukuro's Ukulele playing very inspirational!

When I am not hurting my fingers learning to play the Uke, I love to enjoy Fantasy & Science Fiction Art, Movies, Video Games, Comics and Novels. I also love creating Pencil and Colour Pencil Art, Writing Fiction, Collecting Dolls House Miniatures and Action Figures.

Police closed a road in the centre of Liverpool overnight because of a suspicious object in a car.

It later turned out to be a tax disk.

What do you say to a Scouser on a bicycle?

Stop, thief!

A 3 year old Scouse girl was watching her mother wash the dishes.

"Why are your hands so soft mummy?", she asked. "Is it because you use Fairy Liquid?"

"No darling", replied the mother. "It's because I'm 14 years old".

What's the difference between a Scouser and a coconut?

One's thick and hairy, and the other's a Scouser.

Top Bottom