What exactly is the stard way of strumming?

DylanHess

Reaction score
Haha i always just assumed it was the thumb (i started like 2 weeks ago) but i was reading the other post and it was saying how it was the index finger... Is it only the index finger? or do you use other fingers, and with them, do you use the nail or the finger part? gahhh im confused haha, someone help me!:eek:

I tend to use ring and pinky for down and thumb for up.

Strumming

I use a ton of different strums, but the most basic one that I commonly use is down with index, up with thumb, while your thumb and forefinger are pressed together.

Sometimes I will just use my thumb though, like you do. It just depends on what type of tone you want. To me, there really isn't a correct or incorrect method of ukulele strumming, as long as there isn't a pick involved.

Hope I was of help.

if you strum up with the thumb, are you strumming with your fingernail? like the tip of it or like in the middle of the fingernail?

if you strum up with the thumb, are you strumming with your fingernail? like the tip of it or like in the middle of the fingernail?

It will depend on how long your nail is.

Thumb

On the issue of thumbs, I'm a bit different than most other people in my technique... I have to be, as I have no thumbnails, via some strange side effect of a minor genetic condition I have.... so no, when I"m strumming up with my thumb, I"m not hitting it with my nail, but most everyone else would be, the way I do it.

I'm the author of the original post talking about standard strumming.

I feel way more comfortable playing down with index, middle, ring, and up with my thumb. BUT I've been watching all the serious players (or the ones who've obviously been doing it for a while) and they ALL play with their index finger.

Aldrine's intro to strumming teaches strumming with the index finger. This is why I think it is the standard strum.

Yeah, there are a heap of other strums - the reason I really want to get this index finger strum working is because I've noticed many other techniques (the roll for example) seem to rely on the position of your fingers. Rolls are much easier when you use the index finger strum - but I'm nowhere near mastering either.

I've also noticed the overall tone of the ukulele is sweeter if you use the index finger strum - but the sound is also softer.

I'm pretty sure I'm over analysing this. There's a quote I really like : "Jus' Press!" That might apply at this time.

I think it depends on what kind of sound you want to achieve. If you want a crisp, sharp sound then you should try to use the nail, be it on the thumb or a finger. If you want a softer, more mellow sound then you should be using the pads are tips of your fingers. REally you should be using all aspects of your fingers to add accents to the melody you are playing, mix things up as you play, 'let your heart be your guide' when playing and your music will inspire you and others to keep playing.

yeah, ive been trying the index finger, it seems to work pretty good, but its hard if your strumming fast to go from index downward to thumb upward. i kinda like just using the index finger, it seems to work good for me, so i think ill stick with that. :) thanks for help

Top Bottom