First performance!

kvehe

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just finished an eight-week ukulele class at The Folk School of St. Louis, and tonight we performed at the student showcase, which took place at a local music venue. What a great time! I never imagined I could be so comfortable on stage, but when you've found your true-love instrument, it's a whole new ball game. (Let's go, Cardinals!)

Awesome!! :)

Congrats Kathryn! Way to go. I'm so impressed with those like you who have the courage to take the stage!

Congrats! Fun, isn't it?

Thank you all for your encouraging words! I realize that there's safety in numbers, so a solo open mic will be a whole new challenge when the time is right. There were four in our class, but only three performed. The fourth person said she would come to support us, but wouldn't play. I actually brought an extra uke in case she changed her mind, but she never turned up. I'm guessing that maybe it was because the scheduling email that the school sent had an incorrect address for Off Broadway, the place where we played. The street address is 3509, but the email said 359, so if Susan just went by that, she'd never have found the place.

I took my Pono all-rosewood tenor (one of only eight made; they were the subject of a feverish thread last April and May). I'm glad I didn't take The McLaren because I somehow banged the Pono on something when I was going onstage (big steps for an older person! [who, me?]) and it now has its first ding. I was sad about that, but I quickly came to see it as a battle scar and a memento of my first public performance.

Uke on!

Congrats on finishing the class and the performance. You and the Pono are veterans of the stage now! Did you get any pics?

Congrats Kat,
You go girl...woo hoo those classes really paid off ....Happy strummings....

Kathryn,
That is fantastic! You are a player now! The ding in your uke should be considered a badge of honor. Keep going...onward!

Congrats Kathryn on your accomplishment, way to go......
On another note, Go Giants.......................

Thank you, everyone!

We played Five Foot Two and Exactly Like You.

Ukes figured prominently in some of the other classes' performances. One guy in an ensemble class had a Kamaka soprano, and another had a Flea. Each had a nice solo. When all of the instructors jammed at the end, our instructor (who also teaches guitar) played his uke rather than his guitar.

I'm hoping to get a picture or two from one of my classmates.

Three of the four of us will continue next week with the same instructor, so progress will continue to be made.

Let's Go Cards!

Last edited:
Congrats, that is so awesome! So happy for you. Any videos?

I don't know. I came alone, so there was nobody making videos on my account. I don't know if my classmates' significant others/friends were shooting videos or not - I'll find out at our next class. I didn't see anyone from the school making videos, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen - although I think I would have seen it because we were on about thirty minutes into a three-hour program, so I had a lot of time to relax and look around.

Thank you all for your encouragement!

Way to go! Keep 'em coming!

Top Bottom