Bizarre Love Triangle on Luis Feu de Mesquitta ukue

fumanshu

Reaction score
Hi guys!!! It's been a while that I didn't take time to play uke or making music.....but recently I get the chance to get in touch with one of my friend who sings very well and I convince her to make a collab with me for the cover of this song.

Bizarre Love Triangle by Frente is one of my favorite song so I just decided to sit down and make my own arrangement of the song.....So here's the result!!!!

The lead vocal is my friend Caroline Rioux and he rest of the instruments are played by me.

I play with my Luis Feu de Mesquitta uke!

Hope you enjoy and comments are welcome!!!

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/bizarre-love-triangle-by-caro

Cool cover, the recording sounds great. Hope you don't mind my adding that the song was originally written and recorded by Gillian Gilbert, Peter Hook, Stephen Morris, and Bernard Sumner as New Order and released around 1986. One of their most well known songs and part of the soundtrack of my youth. Again, well done. Good to hear a genuinely interesting version.

Last edited:
Cool cover, the recording sounds great. Hope you don't mind my adding that the song was originally written and recorded by Gillian Gilbert, Peter Hook, Stephen Morris, and Bernard Sumner as New Order and released around 1986. One of their most well known songs and part of the soundtrack of my youth. Again, well done. Good to hear a genuinely interesting version.

Hey thanks a lot for your comment! Its true that the very first version that I heard and get hooked was the New Order version back in 1986...and it was just damn good!!!!! I didnt want to make a cover of the New Order verdion because to me it will be just too hard to make a cover of such a classic version with their synth sound.....so I prefer to take the acoustic way and try to bring a new twist to it....and bring back my uke!!!! :)

wonderful recording - everything sounds excellent - vocals, ukulele, everything...... very nicely done!

thanks a lot! I spend a lot of time to record the vocals...almost 4 hours!!!! And then...something like 12-16 hours of mixing and mastering...its quite insane...but I think it totally worth it....

thanks a lot! I spend a lot of time to record the vocals...almost 4 hours!!!! And then...something like 12-16 hours of mixing and mastering...its quite insane...but I think it totally worth it....

What mics? Analog? Digital? Standalone recorder or computer?

What mics? Analog? Digital? Standalone recorder or computer?

Im using a Blue microphone with a Steadman pop filter. As for the audio interface, I'm using the Apogee Duet 2 and a Macbook Pro. Im using almost only acoustic instruments....so I'm playing with a Luis Feu de Mesquitta uke, a Lazy River Weissenborn, a Michael Dunn Anandi , a CB glockenspiel and a Korg Wavedrum......

So with all my instruments....I'm starting to layer sounds over sounds to get the mood and sound that I'm after....

Ohh I forgot...I'm using Logic Pro 9 as my DAW.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!!!!

I have done this song...and I am ashamed to say my version is not a spot on yours.
New Order or Frente', today this song belongs to you.
This is absolutely the best version of a song I have loved for 26 years I have heard. The day it came out I stuffed all my hard earned into my sock and headed down to the record store on my bike to buy it. It was one of the first of over 200K recordings I now share my home with, and this version is beautiful.
Thank you for making this, and sharing it with us.

I have done this song...and I am ashamed to say my version is not a spot on yours.
New Order or Frente', today this song belongs to you.
This is absolutely the best version of a song I have loved for 26 years I have heard. The day it came out I stuffed all my hard earned into my sock and headed down to the record store on my bike to buy it. It was one of the first of over 200K recordings I now share my home with, and this version is beautiful.
Thank you for making this, and sharing it with us.

Hey....thanks a lot for your feedbacks! It's all my pleasure if you did like my version of the song. It wasn't easy for me to sit down and see how I would like to make my own arrangement of this song.

And to tell you the truth, before I start, I spend a lot of time in front of my computer to google and see what are the other artists that tried to cover that song and how they did it. Starting from there, I wanted to make an arrangement that will reflect how I compose my music rather than copying New Order or Frente's version or anyother artists that covered that song.......but I still wanted to maintain the core of the song because that's why both you and I still like that song after 26 years right???!!!!

Anyway, so thanks a lot once again....and since it's on Soundcloud, you can keep listening to it and it's all my pleasure for me to share it to you and all the fellows of UU community!!!! :)

Do you any of you know how does copyrights work if I want let say to have a videoclip for my song... I want to see if I can ask permission to New Order or their publisher the rights but I don't know if it's necessary....

Anyone here have experiences?

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. If you in anyway construe it as such you are incorrect in doing so.

If you want to obtain a license I would do the research and try to contact the publisher directly. If that doesn't work could move on to Harry Fox.

I worked as a music supervisor on a couple of feature films for a nanosecond about 15 years ago. Okay, it was more like three years of hell dealing with copyright and licensing when all I wanted to be doing was contracting musicians and spending time at the studio producing the recordings for the soundtracks. Instead, I spent an inordinate amount of time at the production office on the phone with publishing companies. One non-musical task I did enjoy, however, was researching folk songs at the Library of Congress for one particular film. Then it came time to inform the producers and director that most of the music they insisted was in the public domain was not. I learned a lot about copyrights and how to give tens of thousands of dollars of bad news to people that are especially averse to bad news and like being wrong even less. They were, for the record, very nice about it.

So, there's my background, take what follows for what it's worth. Did I mention this is in no way any form of legal advice?

To record another artists song, as you have done, technically requires you to acquire proper permissions from the owners of the copyrighted material you are recording. Technically, the act of recording another person's copyrighted song, whether you plan to distribute it or not (posting online is a form of distribution), for profit or not, requires permission from the owner of the copyright which is usually the publisher. Uploading said recording of copyrighted material to a website on the internet is a form of distribution. Bear in mind, also, that not every copyrighted song is necessarily one that has been "published". That situation creates it's own issues. If uploaded to a website that is "for profit" there are even bigger issues that can come into play. The "fair use" argument has often been used successfully and probably failed just as often. I won't speculate as to why any number of people do or do not get in trouble for uploading cover songs because I don't have a clue and it surprises me more than it does you.

That wasn't as short as I would have liked to so I'll cut to the chase:

Recording another artist's copyrighted work without obtaining the "right" to "copy" the artist's work is illegal.

Now the good news (sort of):

http://suebasko.blogspot.com/2011/06/cover-songs-on-youtube.html

EDIT:

I forgot to add that uploading a video of a cover song also requires a "sync" license.

Last edited:
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advise. If you in anyway construe it as such you are incorrect in doing so.

I worked as a music supervisor on a couple of feature films for a nanosecond about 15 years ago. Okay, it was more like three years of hell dealing with copyright and licensing when all I wanted to be doing was contracting musicians and spending time at the studio producing the recordings for the soundtracks. Instead, I spent an inordinate amount of time at the production office on the phone with publishing companies. One non-musical task I did enjoy was researching folk songs at the Library of Congress for one particular film. That was until it cam time to inform the producers and director that most of the music they insisted was in the public domain was not.

So, there's my background, take what follows for what it's worth. Did I mention this is in no way any form of legal advice?

To record another artists song, as you have done, technically requires you to acquire proper permissions from the publisher(s). Technically, the act of recording another person's published song to whether you plan to distribute it or not (posting online is a form of distribution), for profit or not, requires permission from the publisher. Uploading said recording to a website on the internet is a form of distribution. If uploaded to a website that is "for profit" there are even bigger issues that can come into play. The "fair use" argument has been used often and failed just as many times. I won't go into why any number of people do or don't get in trouble for uploading cover songs.

That wasn't as short as I would have liked to I'll cut to the chase. Recording another artist's copyrighted work without obtaining the "right" to "copy" the artist's work is illegal.

That's why I think that it's a must to get permission from the original artist or his publisher to do it right...if I ever want to do something serious with it....But I've seen a few let's say Conor Maynard doing covers on YT....and I just don't know if he asked for all the permisssions for doing his clip before he get discovered and known...

That's why I think that it's a must to get permission from the original artist or his publisher to do it right...if I ever want to do something serious with it....But I've seen a few let's say Conor Maynard doing covers on YT....and I just don't know if he asked for all the permisssions for doing his clip before he get discovered and known...

I edited my post to be a bit more clear and added a link I thought pertinent.

Top Bottom