::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 14!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had 897 posts on the last chapter. I wasn't trying. It's just a statistic.

I'm not sure a custom is what I'd really want, come to think of it. I think I could be very, very happy with a vintage Martin style 1 uke, either a concert size or a taropatch (or BOTH! ;)), outfitted with Gotoh UPT tuners....

You know Don . . . Gryphon Stringed instruments near me always has vintage Martins in stock. When I was there one day, this guy brought in a Ken Timms replica and he and the guy behind the counter went through about 9-10 of the vintage Martins they had in stock and everyone there (it kind of turned into a mini-concert) agreed that the Ken Timms uke sounded more Martin than Martin and it was much better in materials and construction.

Something to consider if you really want a Martin.

Maybe at UWC this year I can spend some time looking at y'all's customs.

I have mixed feelings about spending amounts with commas in them.

And here's the question I asked before the chapter closed, because I do want to get as much feedback as I can. I don't want to miss something stupidly obvious.

So, knowing I'm going to be leaving my job and ideally having less take-home pay due to lessened work hours, I've been striving to acquire everything I could possibly want/need uke-wise since the river of cash is going to dry up and be a creek. Don't want to be up the creek without a ukulele. (We don't need no stinking paddles. Unless they are Boat Paddle ukes.)

The lust hits every now and then (currently drooling over kamoa gray/black tiger stripe!) but overall I am very happy with my current instrument collection, and I have some books that will take me a couple of years to work through. I've got a few amps as well, of varying sizes.

Here's the question. If you were in a similar situation - using the stock up now mentality - what would you be after? (I sound like a doomsday prepper.)

I'd buy a Honda Civic Hybrid, even though I don't drive very much. I bought my old car, a 2002 Civic, in September 2001 and it only has 53,000 miles on it, but I worry that some of the safety features aren't up-to-date. Any relation to ukulele? I drive to most of the places I play one. :)

Ukewise, as Gary knows, I pretty much have every uke that I want (although UAS doesn't always listen to reason). I think of all the ukes I currently own, the one I'd buy first if I didn't have any of them is my Kamaka baritone, but that may be because I'm leaning strongly in the bari direction these days. I love my Mya-Moe baritone, but it has a more "folksy" sound (perfect for pop and vintage music) and there are days when I just need to hear the more Mel Torme-like Hawaiian voice of a Kamaka. If I were to buy just one tenor, it would probably be a Compass Rose, but again, I'd be tempted to buy a Kamaka and then swap out the factory strings for fluorocarbons, again for the more Hawaiian voice. If someone told me I could win any one ukulele and didn't have to worry about paying for it, I'd ask for a low-bling Moore Bettah. And I'd also want to get an iPad, if only to organize and carry easily all my music.

I'd buy a Honda Civic Hybrid, even though I don't drive very much. I bought my old car, a 2002 Civic, in September 2001 and it only has 53,000 miles on it, but I worry that some of the safety features aren't up-to-date. Any relation to ukulele? I drive to most of the places I play one. :)

Ukewise, as Gary knows, I pretty much have every uke that I want (although UAS doesn't always listen to reason). I think of all the ukes I currently own, the one I'd buy first if I didn't have any of them is my Kamaka baritone, but that may be because I'm leaning strongly in the bari direction these days. I love my Mya-Moe baritone, but it has a more "folksy" sound (perfect for pop and vintage music) and there are days when I just need to hear the more Mel Torme-like Hawaiian voice of a Kamaka. If I were to buy just one tenor, it would probably be a Compass Rose, but again, I'd be tempted to buy a Kamaka and then swap out the factory strings for fluorocarbons, again for the more Hawaiian voice. If someone told me I could win any one ukulele and didn't have to worry about paying for it, I'd ask for a low-bling Moore Bettah. And I'd also want to get an iPad, if only to organize and carry easily all my music.

LOL, I'm pretty sure we're buying a Camry hybrid this fall. But that counts as "sensible" and sensible things come out of hubby money, not wife money. Wife is in charge of "frivolous".

Hey Mark.

I can't believe you guys are meeting up on Superbowl Sunday when the Niners are playing!! :)

Maybe at UWC this year I can spend some time looking at y'all's customs.

I have mixed feelings about spending amounts with commas in them.

Forget what everyone said and save all your money on future UWC trips. :D

Wow you guys move fast.

Man, when did that happen?

Hello Chapter 14!!!

E to the rescue BTW!!! I did though find out how to upload it directly to godaddy, then the computer got pissed at me and said, "NO JAVA FOR YOU!" So E is gonna fix it!

And thanks to Freeda for finding the vid. It is going to be spool helpful to hopefully get my site looking clean, fresh, mature, with a bunch of awesome mixed in!

Awwwww MAN! Now E's computer is saying "NO JAVA FOR YOU!" Sucky Suck Suck Suck!

You know Don . . . Gryphon Stringed instruments near me always has vintage Martins in stock. When I was there one day, this guy brought in a Ken Timms replica and he and the guy behind the counter went through about 9-10 of the vintage Martins they had in stock and everyone there (it kind of turned into a mini-concert) agreed that the Ken Timms uke sounded more Martin than Martin and it was much better in materials and construction.

Something to consider if you really want a Martin.

I'm way ahead of you on this one, Gary. I e-mailed Ken Timms a long time ago, in hopes of commissioning a Martin-copy style 1 concert. He replied that he only does sopranos, and couldn't be bothered to gear up for any other sizes. His reply actually came across as sounding curt and rude, but I just chalked that up to differences in our cultures. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a Martin....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom