how big are your ukulele collections?

GX9901:

I'm almost to the point of giving up on receiving the GString Sun... I ordered it the last week in December and it's still not here. I guess Derek Shimizu at GString is super picky about the inlay work and only allows a few instruments to go through after he inspects them. That reminds me, the last time I talked to him, he said 2 weeks. I need to find out when that was ;)

The number and quality exceed my ability.
Order of purchase:
1. '05 KoAloha concert KSM-00, my 2nd favorite uke.
2. '05 KoAloha tenor KTM-00, it really doesn't get played. For sale.
3. KoAlana soprano, 1st gen. The real suprise. Not bad sound for $139. It's the let anyone handle, take and go anywhere uke.
4. '07 KoAloha soprano KSM-02
5. King A5 #009 custom soprano.
6. King A5 #008, my #1 'ukulele. No need to ever buy another soprano.

Bit sad for someone with limited ability and only playing for ~4 years.
Waiting on a 14 fret concert Glyph. If the Glyph is as expected. That is it. No more uke purchases. Just enjoy the ones I own.

Hi,

Ukuleles...

Tinny Chinese Phoenix PU-(I kid you not)-211
Aria Concert ACU-250 (current offered for sale on Australian Trading post)
Ohana SK-25 soprano (on the way, but not yet arrived)
Cole Clark Ukelady 3 (soprano/concert)

In order of purchase (I still have all of them):

Old Harmony soprano - my first instrument that really got me into ukulele

No name barritone - made in Germany. I purchased it when the Harmony was in for repairs.

Lanikai Tenor - because everyone I saw was playing tenor. :)

Bucks Soprano - a local luthier (here in PA) makes sopranos. Mine is cherry wood with a graphite reinforced neck. Super thin top. Very "vintage" sounding. This was supposed to be the "last ukulele I needed". Then I went to Hawaii...

KoAloha longneck pineapple - most excellent. Purchased on my first trip to Oahu. Lots of memories in this one.

Risa solid body tenor - fun, but I find myself playing it the least

KoAloha concert - also most excellent

I got one and ony uke, it's a Ashbury Tenor, it got a pretty good sound I think.

When I read this topic, it makes me laugh, on the two French ukulele forums that exists, we got something that we've called UAS, or Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome, and I see that is finally International, everyone who's loving the ukulele allways wants more and more and more ukes. ^.^

I've got a Mitchell concert uke that I recieved a as a Christmas gift (my first Ukulele). A Soprano Tiki Flea, a Tenor Kala (not sure of the model number but it's got a solid spruce top, mahogany back and cut away). I also, just ordered a Tenor Fluke.

I absolutely love my Kala but, with a wife, a child and multiple pet's I fear for it's safety :) If it got damaged I'd have to go into therapy. I think the Fluke could take the potential beating that being left out in my household could cause. I know my Flea has.

-i have a $25 Johnson uke from ebay (my very first uke, very very horrible and currently sitting in my closet haha)

ha ha ha me too. I tink it was da horrible intonation of my Johnson dat helped let my wife say YES to my new Pono (wen was on sale last summah).

So fo me, i get

(1) $25 johnson (neva touch um since I wen get my pono)
(2) Pono PTC

-an old harmony baritone (ok uke)
-kala ka-kb baritone (nice Uke)
-mahalo flying v is my fav for some reason prolly it has something to do with the looks

i want a flea uke so badly!

i saw william macy play it on opra and i really want one to add to my collection.

i already have a soprano, hilo, uke.

and a lanikai tenor uke.

now a flea uke would be cool!

PS: im getting wall hangers off of ebay so thats gonna be sweet!

I have one ukulele. A Makala yellow jobbie with a dolphin shaped bridge. I love it so much that today I ordered Aquila strings and got the beeswax out for the fretboard.

Am looking to upgrade in May (my birthday). Tried a Lanikai but my untutored ear couldn't hear much difference to my Makala. Tried a Martin - that was nice and then a Kauai (all sopranos) which sounded similar to the Martin. The Flea sounded clunky in comparison. Was outbid on ebay on a La Foley (it went for £187).

Next I want to play a mango Kala and a koa Kala. Can anyone out there tell me what they sound like? I really like the look of the mango.

Of course, I do not suffer from UAS. I don't even have early symptoms.

My first uke was a Cordoba KOA soprano. I keep light strings on that one tuned to A D F# B.

I also have an Alegre Ovaition soprano I brought back from Cebu. That is a sweet uke with a solid Philippino mahogany back,spruce top, and awesome Abalone inlays. Had to tweak it before it was really playable though. I put heavy gauge Koolau gold strings on it and also tune to A.

And then I have a Pono PKC2 concert with a nice curly top. anyone who has a Pono will probably agree that is a good uke. It is the one I play most of the time. Aquila's tuned to G.:shaka:

Also, I have a Bushman Englemann spruce top tenor. I got a great deal on Sleazbay. It's a decent uke, I got it for a beater I guess. Aquila's tuned to G.

One day I will break down and get a Kamaka tenor. I think those Compass Rose's sycamore uke's are interesting too. Wish I could hear one.

Last edited:
My first is a Fluke/concert -- held up well for the abuse it's taken. I use LowG Worth's on it and it sounds pretty darn good all things considered. I'm considering making a new fretboard for it and replacing the soundboard with some kind of mix/striped pattern just to see how it would come out -- maybe a mahogany/spruce zebra stripe sorta thing -- still an ideal in the works. This thought came about because it's on it's second molded fretboard and needs to be sent back for replacement (mfg does it for free) again. I can have them upgrade it to rosewood for $85 or do it myself for a little less, and if I'm going to get into that, I may as well do something cool with the soundboard while I'm at it. Also gives me a chance to use a standard type bridge so I can use an undersaddle pickup.

Next is a Tiki Flea, which I bought because I wanted something that sounded a little more 'toyish' than the Fluke, and it worked out well. I was using Aquila's on it, but I recently changed to Worth HiG's and I'm glad I did -- sounds great -- I liked the Aquila's alot, but they were just a little too loud for me on this one, their texture also makes a little noise when I'm sliding up/down the board, and the worths being smooth eliminated this -- a good match for me anyways.

Last but not least is my new Gstring tenor, which I just received Monday, and I absolutely love it. It's really beautiful and I believe a good match for me. Totally different animal than I'm used to but a very welcome change that will certainly inspire me to really step up my practice and skills. It definately sets a new standard for ukes to come in my collection, so it will likely be that last for a couple years as I've got more than plenty to play now, and I'm after an upright bass that will be a whole new animal to tackle.

Thats it for me -- have fun!

I have 4 uke's to my collection:

My very first uke is a Koa 4-string Tenor. My uncle who retired started making ukulele's so I asked if he could make me one. I wasnt expecting it, but my folks stepped in and gave it to me for X-mas. I don't know how much he charged them if anything at all.

My second uke is a 6-string Baritone. I don't know who the maker is because the label had since falled off. It has mother of pearl inlays, spruce top, a bolt-on neck. I actually bought this uke with the bridge off. I took it to my friend Tangi at tangiukuleles.com and he fixed it up for me.

My third uke is a Pono PKT. I purchsed this one from Musicguymic. Its an older 4-string Koa Tenor. I have this one set with Aquila strings. I have yet to try others on this uke. Such a nice and easy to play uke. The action is very easy to play.

My fourth and latest uke is a 6-string Koa 2-puka (sound hole) Tenor made by Tangiukuleles.com. I had orginally purchased and provided the Koa to be used to make the uke. I bought the Koa through Ebay. It is a very light colored curly Koa...possibly from the Big Island. It almost looks like Mango wood. This one is my favorite.

10 Ukuleles...
round.jpg

3 Brükos
2 Billy Ray (Les Paul & Telecaster)
2 Ovation/Applause (Tenor & Soprano)
2 Johnson (Resonator & Bariton)
1 Schaepe

Well, I gave my old ukulele to my best friend Carl, so I now have about one ukulele(s).

If anyone's collection's too large and they like to pay shipping to Ireland, I'd gladly take any, er, donations? Meh.

Uke casualty

Dang WS64! You have serious UAS!:D I thought I had it bad...aha.

Well, I suffered a uke casualty today. It is bittersweet. I just got fed up with my Koaloha tenor. My Koaloha super concert is the bomb at gets a lot of playing time, but the tenor had some issues that need some serious attention. It was a beautiful uke to look at, but sound/workmanship is 99% with me...

Probs:
Scratched when pick-up installed by Koaloha
Chipped/cracked corner of bridge
A string dead on pick-up

Time to decide on a replacement..confused:

Dang WS64! You have serious UAS!:D I thought I had it bad...aha.

Actually I don't...
You know the formula for how many ukuleles you need is:

(amount of ukuleles you need) = (amount of ukuleles you have) + 1

One day I found out I am just on ukulele behind that formula, and I sticked with that. For now... *g*

The OP even asked for "ukuelle collections", and I already felt bad and wanted to reply "I just have one ukulele collection"....

Top Bottom