Martin Iz tenor

I also believe Iz played a 14 fret-to-body model (late 60s)

The Tribute uke has 14 frets to the body. At least in the picture it does. Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole endorses the uke with her signature on the label. But she probably didn't know her husband as well as kayaker and kahuna did.

Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole endorses the uke with her signature on the label. But she probably didn't know her husband as well as kayaker and kahuna did.

tumblr_m3fhg3cbGI1qkxjf4.jpg

The Tribute uke has 14 frets to the body. At least in the picture it does. Marlene Kamakawiwo'ole endorses the uke with her signature on the label. But she probably didn't know her husband as well as kayaker and kahuna did.

She certainly knew him better than Dick Boak, Martin's own public relations chief. Boak doesn't even try to know anything about the guy. Except maybe the nose bleed price of his bridge pinless, Pegheaded, flower inlayed tribute uke. I'll be the knows that now, to the penny

(Excellent point, tiger, about the Aldrine uke as a gold standard for tribute or facsimile ukes.)

Last edited:

Clever, but pointless and juvenile as usual.

She certainly knew him better than Dick Boak, Martin's own public relations chief. Boak doesn't even try to know anything about the guy. Except maybe the nose bleed price of his bridge pinless, Pegheaded, flower inlayed tribute uke. I'll be the knows that now, to the penny

Obviously she could have pulled the plug if she wanted to. Why are you two so concerned and hateful about it? You have something at stake in the deal? Or do you just enjoy telling people what they should and shouldn't buy if it's not up to your perceived ethical standards?

The original post:
"Wonder if anyone has gotten or played one of the Martin Iz tenors yet? Would love to have some feedback on it"

You two have given zero feedback to the question, only sarcastic hateful comments

Last edited:
McGee, breathe deeply and spend a couple days off UU to realign yourself. I've seen this with burnout before. Chillax, man.

All BK, kissing, Tiger, and I and a couple others are saying is that Martin, in our opinions (and everything anyone writes in the forum--even your post-- is just that, opinion) should have made this a true Martin Iz tenor replica. For us, it would have been more meaningful. The fact that Martin chose, not a replica, but a tribute uke would suggest that they know a little about the big man. And perhaps they do...but it didn't show in the NAMM video. (as kissing astutely first pointed out).

Frankly, looking over this thread now, it's quite fun, the back and forth from both sides on this thought process. An amusing fun thread.

I've met Dick Boak, actually in a non-uke context. I was teaching art at a PA college and Dick's wife, Sue, was a secretary in the department. I was invited for dinner at their home. Both are very nice people and despite the position he holds at Martin, Dick is down-to-earth. I agree, though, that it would have been more respectful had he managed the correct pronunciation of Iz's last name. However, Dick did seen embarrassed about it in the clip. So, Steve is probably right: Dick can probably pronounce the name in his sleep. Not that he needs me to defend him, or that it will make any difference here that I do, but I don't think Dick's mess up is utterly heinous or reflects something pernicious about Martin.

I'm just offering up my personal perspective here. I'm sure some of you feel differently, as you have stated. I suppose I just feel better believing that recognition of Iz, no matter how clumsily it is delivered, or whether marketing a product is connected to it, is better than no recognition.

McGee, breathe deeply and spend a couple days off UU to realign yourself. I've seen this with burnout before. Chillax, man.

Thanks for the advise. I assure you I'm quite relaxed. The OP asked if anyone had played one before, not whether or not you or anyone else thought it was ethical to produce it. Start another thread, you can make fun of Martin and Marlene all you want and not hear a peep out of me.

I haven't had a chance to play an IZ model yet, but I'd like to. Yes, it's not spec'd identically and as pointed out already is more of a tribute than a replica, of course. IZ played a Martin and Martin & Co. got IZ's family on board with this model that I am sure benefits not just Martin's revenues, but IZ's family too. And it gives those who play or collect Ukuleles, or just plain IZ fans something to consider. No harm, no foul. It's all good. And by the way, the vintage market also allows us to seek out the more true to form originals if that is what is more desired. Me, I like things newer (read not wanting to pay vintage pricing for a uke that may have "issues"). A new uke is in the cards for me in and maybe a Martin if I find one I like. The IZ looks nice for something of more noteworthiness than a regular production model normally found.

Last edited:
Martin makes tons of "signature" guitars, the ultimate design of which are the results of collaboration between the signature artist and Martin representatives. Here is a page from Rory Block's site about her Martin model:

http://www.roryblock.com/Pages/Page Links/Martin.htm

Evidently, these models are not replicas of instruments the artists played, but rather are instruments that have custom features desired by them. We don't know, or at least I don't know, how much of the design of the Iz model comes from Marlene's input and how much was a Martin decision.

Some of the discussion in this thread assumes that an "artist" model "should" be as exact in every detail to the instrument the artist actually played ala the Aldrine model, but that clearly is not Martin's idea. Some of their signature artists are not even known as guitarists; some of them who are did not typically play Martins, or so I have read.

I wish Martin would make more "signature" ukuleles in tribute to some of the fine Martin ukulele players around these days. I would be delighted to see an Ukulelezaza Style 3, or a Winin' Boy D-shaped, Style 1, particularly if these guys got to pick all the features. Heck, I might even be inclined to buy a couple.

As I wrote before, I also wish they would make the Style 1 again as it was made before they first stopped making ukes. That way, those of us on the forum who want to play an instrument like Iz played, or Ike played, or Peter Moon played, etc., but didn't want to go vintage, would have that option.

Ive just played the IZ version of the martin ukulele locally here. overall great sound (wells its a $1k martin)
one thing for sure its built very very well. so well it will surely be passed down from generation to generation like how the older vintage martins were able to have survived . would I buy it ehhhhhhh. idk.

Martin makes tons of "signature" guitars, the ultimate design of which are the results of collaboration between the signature artist and Martin representatives.

One of my favorite Martin Signature guitars was the Jewel model. I'm not a fan of Jewel, particularly, but it was a beautiful small bodied guitar with a great feel and very sweet tone. I would consider one, but not because it's what Jewel plays; it's just a great guitar.

I've never understood the process of recreating an instrument that's just like someone else's instrument. I'd prefer an instrument that lets me sound like me. With that being said, I *did* buy a Ludwig Wendell Hall banjo uke because I wanted the Formby sound.

On topic: I've never played the IZ model. But it looks nice, and the price is pretty spot-on for where Martin prices are hitting right now.

One of my favorite Martin Signature guitars was the Jewel model. I'm not a fan of Jewel, particularly, but it was a beautiful small bodied guitar with a great feel and very sweet tone. I would consider one, but not because it's what Jewel plays; it's just a great guitar.

I've never understood the process of recreating an instrument that's just like someone else's instrument. I'd prefer an instrument that lets me sound like me. With that being said, I *did* buy a Ludwig Wendell Hall banjo uke because I wanted the Formby sound.

On topic: I've never played the IZ model. But it looks nice, and the price is pretty spot-on for where Martin prices are hitting right now.

I think that Jewel is associated with Taylor Guitars. I have not seen a Martin Jewel model.

I think that Jewel is associated with Taylor Guitars. I have not seen a Martin Jewel model.

oops, I stand corrected! The Jewel Signature Model was a Taylor, not a Martin, Oh well, the point is still the same: it was a good guitar because it was well-designed and well-made, not because Jewel's name was on it,

Thought I'd bring this back as I was just looking at it online.

I won't get into the "should they or shouldn't they/it's not exact" argument, but I will say that I think it's a very pretty uke, the flower inlay is very nice and tasteful (I'm not generally an inlay fan)

1T_IZ_Tenor_Uke_h.jpg

Many thanks to all who responded to my question here and by PM.
I apparently unintentionally caused a stir, I didn't expect this to be controversial. There are obviously strong opinions on this topic and its' offshoots.
I have been reading some of the other threads here on Martins, and I am finding a wealth of information. Many thanks to Petey Houdini for his reviews, they are very thorough and helpful.

I am still interested in hearing from people who have played or bought an IZ. I am looking at it as well as the Tenor 2 in mahogany, the T2K and the few vintage Martin Tenors that come up for sale from time to time.

I have a T1K, which I like very much. The smaller nut width and slim neck of the Martins make them very comfortable for me to play. I have a milestone coming up and I am thinking I would like to treat myself to a Nazareth Martin tenor. I may end up having to go to the factory to play each one to decide, as none of the shops near me have anything in stock to play.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy music shop or uke dealer that is doing better on the advertised prices for the above and is willing to share it, I'd appreciate that info too. Please PM me if its not publicly sharable.

Mahalo.

I should have mine within 30 days (fingers crossed). I'll let you know.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy music shop or uke dealer that is doing better on the advertised prices for the above and is willing to share it, I'd appreciate that info too.
In retail, there is often such a thing as a "minimum advertised price" (or MAP).

http://consumerist.com/2007/09/26/what-is-minimum-advertised-price/

Minimum Advertised Price is an agreement between suppliers and retailers stipulating the lowest price an item is allowed to be advertised at. If you’ve ever tried to shop around and keep nosing up against the same number, you may have just discovered that good’s MAP. This is why sometimes you see signs that say “price too low to advertise!” Or why when shopping online, sometimes the price doesn’t show up until further in the transaction process. Retailers can incur sizable fines and/or penalties from their suppliers for violating MAP contracts.
Some of the comments on that page are very relevant to this situation.

Many thanks to all who responded to my question here and by PM.
I apparently unintentionally caused a stir, I didn't expect this to be controversial. There are obviously strong opinions on this topic and its' offshoots.

I am still interested in hearing from people who have played or bought an IZ. I am looking at it as well as the Tenor 2 in mahogany, the T2K and the few vintage Martin Tenors that come up for sale from time to time.

I have a T1K, which I like very much. The smaller nut width and slim neck of the Martins make them very comfortable for me to play. I have a milestone coming up and I am thinking I would like to treat myself to a Nazareth Martin tenor. I may end up having to go to the factory to play each one to decide, as none of the shops near me have anything in stock to play.

If anyone knows of a trustworthy music shop or uke dealer that is doing better on the advertised prices for the above and is willing to share it, I'd appreciate that info too. Please PM me if its not publicly sharable.

Mahalo.

Hey, it wasn't you that caused the stir. You asked a very simple question.
You don't mention where you are located. If you are anywhere within driving distance of Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan, you would most likely be able to try out all the Martin ukes including vintage, in one visit. I know a few IZ ukes have trickled out of the factory, but the general buzz is December deliveries.

http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=martin+ukulele&x=0&y=0
Ask for Andy if you call...

Top Bottom