Replacing geared w/ friction tuners

marcocolo

Reaction score
Tried in another board but got no response. Perhaps I'll get help here. I've got a lovely custom pineapple concert that came w/ Grover geared tuners. Work great, look wrong on this uke.
I don't mind friction but don't know what will work in my case. This uke has 11/32" peg holes and the headstock is 1/2" . If at all possible I want to avoid filling w/ dowels, drilling, etc. Also would like to keep them as light as possible (head heavy=bad).
Any advice on what to get?
Thanks to you all.

Am I wrong in my understanding? Does anyone know how heavy they are? I'm not trying to stir up anything, don't know if there is a controversy - just trying to fix my uke. The geared on the uke now weight about 77 grams (per Stew Mac). Anything equal or less would probably be OK.
Ah, yea, I did mention I wanted them to be light as possible. It's my understanding those things are bricks. But thanks for the suggestion. Any other options folks?

Ah, yea, I did mention I wanted them to be light as possible. It's my understanding those things are bricks. But thanks for the suggestion. Any other options folks?

I swap these things out all the time, they are only slightly heavier than fristion tuners... you may want to look into violin pegs.

I know, you guys are makin' a bit of fun at Crafted Cow, but Pegheds are pretty nice. I've got both, the new Gotoh, as well as Pegheds. Love 'em both. CC'll give you a good price on Pegheds, can't fault that.

Pegheds will be a tad lighter, but the difference in the real world is minimal. Really, both nice tuners. You decide which look you prefer. Pegheds are made of air. Gotoh are not the heavy planetary tuners you've seen in the past, very light, but not as light as pegheds, probably about the same or less as the geared on there now.

Last edited:
I'd be all over Pegheads, in fact I have a set. But the holes are too big. Has anyone weighed these new Gotohs?

I'd be all over Pegheads, in fact I have a set. But the holes are too big. Has anyone weighed these new Gotohs?
Yes, if you do a search here for Gotoh UPT, you'll find a dozen threads about them.

You don't think I'M going to search, do you.... helpful, but c'mon dude? ;)

Ok, they seem to be around 15 grams each. Less than I was told. Pricey but nice. Thanks all.
Yes, if you do a search here for Gotoh UPT, you'll find a dozen threads about them.

You don't think I'M going to search, do you.... helpful, but c'mon dude? ;)

I think stewmac or some similar site spells out the difference between grover 4bs and 85bs and which ones are appropriate for what use. I believe the 85bs can go into a thicker headstock or something like that...

(head heavy=bad).
Any advice on what to get?

Why would a heavy head be bad?

If its a custom uke, you should already have what you need, tuning machines and all. I'm not understanding how something as key (no pun intended) as tuning machines would've been overlooked when ordering a custom. Unless of course, you're like a handful (or less) that say "put what you think is right". Currently, that means Hipshot open geared in Gold or Black. But at least they know what they'll potentially get.

I have 2 sets of Gotoh UPTL's that I purchased from HMS that I never used. I was planning on returning them because I need the UPTs that are for a thinner headstock. HMS doesn't carry the UPTs any more so I've ordered what I need from Japan.parts.
They sell for $60 + shipping from HMS, I'll sell you a set for 55 shipped if you want. PM me if interested.

I bought it used. Heavy head feels unbalanced to me-harder to play properly I would say.
Why would a heavy head be bad?

If its a custom uke, you should already have what you need, tuning machines and all. I'm not understanding how something as key (no pun intended) as tuning machines would've been overlooked when ordering a custom. Unless of course, you're like a handful (or less) that say "put what you think is right". Currently, that means Hipshot open geared in Gold or Black. But at least they know what they'll potentially get.

PM'ed you! Let's talk.
I have 2 sets of Gotoh UPTL's that I purchased from HMS that I never used. I was planning on returning them because I need the UPTs that are for a thinner headstock. HMS doesn't carry the UPTs any more so I've ordered what I need from Japan.parts.
They sell for $60 + shipping from HMS, I'll sell you a set for 55 shipped if you want. PM me if interested.

I bought it used. Heavy head feels unbalanced to me-harder to play properly I would say.

You do realize, depending on the build, that you have the potential to change tonal qualities if you lighten the headstock.

At this point, I wouldn't be able to tell you if I changed to lighter tuning machines whether qualities would noticably change or not, but I would venture not since I switched to USA made tuners. Would I go lighter still? Maybe, but not for something ungeared.

Top Bottom