Season 114 - We're in the MONEY!

GinnyT11

Reaction score

"Deutschmarks or dollars...do you want to see me do the shimmy again?"
—Tina Turner, Private Dancer

The theme is MONEY—wanting it, getting it, having it, losing it.

Your options
1. A song with money/currency in the title (Sing a Song of Sixpence).

2. A song primarily about the situation of having money (If I Were a Rich Man) or not having money (Busted).

3. A song primarily about craving, gaining, spending, or losing money.
I'd like the lyrics to mention more than once the word money or cash (or slang like dough, folding stuff) or currency (or slang like quid, bucks).
>If your song choice has only a single passing mention of money, you can do better. Look further.
—Not sure about your choice? Please PM me in advance to check.—

(Oh, and I'd love to have songs in languages other than English!)

Guidelines for entries
1. Single take beginning to end, with ukulele front and center. Say it's for Season 114.

2. No multitracking or electronically boosted performances this week. If you and another Seasonista want to blend your two single tracks, go ahead. Tell me who gets counted for the entry.

3. One official entry per person. I will assume your first entry is your official one unless you tell me.

4. Maximum 4 bonuses, but they must be recorded this week. (Please skip posting videos of non-Seasonistas; links are fine.)

5. No videos posted before 12:01 am, Hawaii time, Sunday, April 20.
Season closes at 11:59:59 pm, Hawaii time, on Sunday, April 27.

Judging
I will choose a handful of winners based on adherence to theme and performance commitment.
Production values won't influence me, but whistling interludes might—I'm just sayin'.

The prize (the same for all) is a modest little something that will help your uke practice. You'll like it!

ENTRY PLAYLIST

BONUS PLAYLIST

EXTRA prize you can earn!
If you step up your level of commenting on videos, you'll receive a wonderful karmic reward!

Last edited:
It takes only one entry in the Seasons to become a Seasonista!

If you've done that, please join this group to have a cool image on your profile page. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...hp?groupid=248
In the upper right, there's a drop-down menu called Group Tools, with an option to Join.

Seasonistas.jpg

And welcome, newbies! If you've been waiting to put your toe in with your first video, this is a great week to try it out!

Hmm ...money..... I seem to remember money .......was it tuneful?......well , it may soon be ......Money,money,money...Can be funny ...In a rich mans .....whatever ...

I'm sorry ...I may be a little tiddly....no .........I'm a lot tiddly..Good Night:nana:

Great theme but "No multitracking or electronically boosted performances this week."

I can see I'm going to suffer withdrawal symptons this week. :(

Oh well! It's back to basics. :music:

great theme ginny! i tried to guess last week what your theme might be, i came up with two ideas, and i was totally wrong on both! :cool:

The theme is MONEY—wanting it, getting it, having it, losing it.

My mind went crazy - Pink Floyd's Money, Macklemore's Thrift Shop, Kanye's Gold digger, Notorious' Mo Money Mo Problems.. But then

2. No multitracking or electronically boosted performances this week.

Back to the drawing board! Haha :) great theme Ginny

Had not heard this song till today but I do like most everything that Randy Newman does so when looking through songs with Money in the title I thought the Randy Newman ones (he had at leat two) would be ones that I liked and this one was one that appealed to me.

Last edited:
pabrizzer - It's Money That I Love - EXCELLENT song choice for the week, Brian! Fine rocking blues on the baritone, and your voice is so low in this that it makes it seem the songster's money-love is really profound and fundamental. So, does this guy in the song have many friends or hobbies?

bird's eye view of my uke - Free Money - Egad, Lynda—you're on FIRE here! You're rocking so much that you're moving around much more than usual. Terrific power strumming. Intense lyrics of a delirious dream that may be quite common, but I don't believe was in Lao Tzu's teachings. I especially liked the delicate ending bit. Super job, birdseye.

xommen - If I Had Million Dollars - This is a fine choice of song for this week, with lots and lots of money mentions. You brought an earnestness to it that makes me think this guy in the song really loves the sweetheart. I like when you get outside the U2 songbook.
(On a personal note, if he presented this idea of being rich to me—I'd buy you an ottoman or a Reliant car...we wouldn't have to eat Kraft dinners, but we would, with expensive ketchups—I think I'd pass.)

Money Girl ~ Larry Marshall (1967)

Some rocksteady era reggae from Larry Marshall.

There are a lots of money-oriented Jamaican songs, third world poverty will do that.
I'm hoping the reggae-istas come through this week with a few more.

The video is an Easter sunrise first take, had to cover the bed hair with a tam.
I was going to attempt a little whistling for Ginny, then right on cue at the second verse a cardinal flew over and sat in.

PROFANITY ALERT! I say the "S" word (and I don't mean Sean). Sorry to start your week with such foul language Ginny (and on Easter too!).
I've been wanting to give this a shot for a while, so here goes. Lawyers, Guns & Money by Warren Zevon.
Happy Easter everyone. Enjoy the bed head.

EXTRA prize you can earn!
If you step up your level of commenting on videos, you'll receive a wonderful karmic reward!

Love this part! You guys are always so great with the comments. They always make me feel good!

I have two songs I want to do this week...It's a great theme!

Love this part! You guys are always so great with the comments. They always make me feel good!

Everyone loves to get comments! In a hectic week, it's hard to watch lots of other people's vids and say something about them, but each little comment is a warm drink of nectar to the recipient. Reciprocity is magic in this case.

Top Bottom