Taropatch Brands

keeponukin

Reaction score
Who makes a moderately priced ($500) taropatch?

There's lots of 8 string ukes out there, but they're all tenor scales. The original Martin taropatch was a concert scale & body, correct?

Thanks, Al

I'd like to see one as well, but I'm thinking under a grand from a reputable Asian/Indo manufacturer, like Pono, fr' instance.

To 'attempt' to answer your question, a muddy "nobody". You may want to contact a few of the luthiers, but I think 500 is a little short, but you never know who'll be happy to make a plain one for your budget..

Yes, modern Taropatch ukulele's are tenor scale. Before you go too far down the road wanting a Concert scale Taropatch have a quick look for strings. Tenor scale 8 string sets are readily available for tenors, there's even some Baritone 8 string sets. My search for Concert 8 string sets didn't turn up anything. I'm not sure if anyone is in a hurry to bring yet another variant of the ukulele to market.

Anthony

Yes, modern Taropatch ukulele's are tenor scale. Before you go too far down the road wanting a Concert scale Taropatch have a quick look for strings. Tenor scale 8 string sets are readily available for tenors, there's even some Baritone 8 string sets. My search for Concert 8 string sets didn't turn up anything. I'm not sure if anyone is in a hurry to bring yet another variant of the ukulele to market.Anthony

Personally, I'd reserve the Taropatch name for the smaller scale instruments - of course you won't burn in hell for applying it to modern 8-stringers either.

As far as strings, actually everybody makes them. The true Taropatch was tuned like a Rajao. Both instruments may have shared the name "Taropatch fiddle" in early Hawaii. They were usually used as rhythm instruments in the days when the Ukulele was still often tuned Machete style.

So as an early variant of the Rajao, the tuning was similar also. They simply dropped the Rajao 5th string to give an Ukulele reentrant C tuning, then the courses were doubled. So Taroptach tuning is reentrant. Simply buy any two reentrant Concert Ukulele sets, and there you are.

That said, we also offer a Taropatch set - we did it for a fellow getting a custom instrument. It gives a deeper sound than traditional tuning while staying fully resonant. There are octave 4th and 1st courses - the others are unison, and it's tuned to E flat.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd reserve the Taropatch name for the smaller scale instruments - of course you won't burn in hell for applying it to modern 8-stringers either.

As far as strings, actually everybody makes them. The true Taropatch was tuned like a Rajao. Both instruments may have shared the name "Taropatch fiddle" in early Hawaii. They were usually used as rhythm instruments in the days when the Ukulele was still often tuned Machete style.

So as an early variant of the Rajao, the tuning was similar also. They simply dropped the Rajao 5th string to give an Ukulele reentrant C tuning, then the courses were doubled. So Taroptach tuning is reentrant. Simply buy any two Concert Ukulele sets, and there you are.

That said, we also offer a Taropatch set - we did it for a fellow getting a custom instrument. it gives a deep sound while staying fully resonant. There are octave 4th and 1st courses - the others are unison, and it's tuned to E flat.

:agree: I don't consider tenor 8 strings taropatches. Too big a body to have the classic sound. Lots of concert sized vintage taropatch ukes out there strung with something.

http://akulele.com/

Scroll to the middle of the page.

I was under the impression that there was a hiatus of some sort regarding the Akulele, but if not, there ya go!

Yes, modern Taropatch ukulele's are tenor scale. Before you go too far down the road wanting a Concert scale Taropatch have a quick look for strings. Tenor scale 8 string sets are readily available for tenors, there's even some Baritone 8 string sets. My search for Concert 8 string sets didn't turn up anything. I'm not sure if anyone is in a hurry to bring yet another variant of the ukulele to market.

Anthony
I use one set of Worths on mine, enough for 2 sets. Not into the octave tuning, but as was posted, there are sets for those. There's a huge difference in the playability/sound/feel between tenor/concert scale "taropatch" ukes, and I'd like to remind Anthony that the original taropatch was concert size, if not soprano earlier than Martin(?) ;), so the variant here is really the tenor. (yeah, I know, it's more popular, everyone's tooled up, whaddyagonnado..)

Tenor, concert, I think at this point in the evolution, the tenor may be called a taropatch without prejudice, though many still consider only the concert size true to the word. Sooner or later, we'll all be dead and our antiquated terminology with us.... oooooo, what a thought! :rolleyes:

Another thought, Arron Keim made a concert taropatch that I donated to the first Milwaukee Ukefest for a giveaway a few years back, and it was a plain-jane, pretty inexpensive if I recall, may want to contact him, folks should know how to reach him.

A MyaMoe taropatch would probably set someone back at least $1500 these days. As much as some 8 string tenor uke owners want to call them taropatches, it is what it is. Didn't miss the slur above re: antiquated terminology."

Slur? Hardly my friend, note the smiley. Like you, to me a concert is the only real taropatch, but what the heck, it's only words, and words is bound to be a-changing, but honest, I thought it would be taken in the spirit it was given, which was in humor. Mya Moe?

http://akulele.com/

Scroll to the middle of the page.

Thanks for the lead. Yes, I spoke with Joe Todaro of Akulele not too long ago. Great guy and very knowledgeable, but unfortunately he did not have any concert scales. Believe his 8 strings were all sopranos. He wasn't sure when he might have concerts again and I was going to check in with him every so often to see if a concert appeared. His pricing and quality was pretty much what I wanted, but no stock.

Another thought, Arron Keim made a concert taropatch that I donated to the first Milwaukee Ukefest for a giveaway a few years back, and it was a plain-jane, pretty inexpensive if I recall, may want to contact him, folks should know how to reach him.

Thanks Neal. Anyone know how to reach Arron Keim?

Slur? Hardly my friend, note the smiley. Like you, to me a concert is the only real taropatch, but what the heck, it's only words, and words is bound to be a-changing, but honest, I thought it would be taken in the spirit it was given, which was in humor. Mya Moe?

Sorry, "Grumpy Cat" portion deleted.

PS: I think anyone who hasn't already done so should check out your great videos on youtube

Oh keepers of the secrets. I’m still searching for information of the possible maker of my SS STEWART taropatch. I would be grateful.

Attachments

• A5481423-6201-419E-97B5-1BF0A1E2E1F5.jpeg
    A5481423-6201-419E-97B5-1BF0A1E2E1F5.jpeg
    964.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 118541D1-5E8B-4972-A46E-268CA85D6D0B.jpeg
    118541D1-5E8B-4972-A46E-268CA85D6D0B.jpeg
    831.8 KB · Views: 8
Ohana makes a taropatch, all-mahogany. Mim sells them, but I understand she’s taking a several-week hiatus soon to help Mr. Mim recover from surgery,

I have a fairly mint Kiwaya taropatch that I’d be willing to part with, but def not “aggressively” marketing.

That said, we also offer a Taropatch set - we did it for a fellow getting a custom instrument. It gives a deeper sound than traditional tuning while staying fully resonant. There are octave 4th and 1st courses - the others are unison, and it's tuned to E flat.
Hello. Can you please elaborate on that for a taropatch novice? Can you give all the tones including octave numbers(i.e. E3 etc.) please?

Do you have a link to that set?

Hello. Can you please elaborate on that for a taropatch novice? Can you give all the tones including octave numbers(i.e. E3 etc.) please?

Do you have a link to that set?
Generally, Taropatch ukuleles have been tuned in matching sets of GCEA reentrant (high G tuning), unlike an 8 string tenor. Any set of Worth strings for a concert instrument should work, as you get double the strings…or Oasis…with the pack. Or two packs of Martin 600.

I’d personally love to see a Mexican-made (lower price) Martin Taropatch offered. I’d buy one immediately.

Top Bottom