Eternal Threads: tips on deleting posts

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips, like a secret advanced search or unique method, to find one's own posts on any "eternal thread"--those threads than go on for hundreds of posts, like Song Title Game, Seasonal Anticipation, etc.?

I do use the left-side green indicator to refer to threads in which I have been active. There are many eternal threads giving me green indicators where I no longer wish to follow the thread; I would like to easily find and delete my post (some a single post from looong ago) to turn off the green indicator and "clean things up" for my personal navigation of the board.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
After you sign in , go to your Profile. On the left under Your avatar it says " find latest posts" . Hope that helps .

I've had this problem too. Takes forever to find old posts in those long threads from a yr ago.

One thing that I do for all threads that I create myself, is at the bottom, to add a few meaningful TAGS in the appropriate section, the first of which is my username here on the forum, and that way when you go into the Advanced Search, you can put in your username, and tick the box, and it will show results with either your tag, or posted/created by you.

The results are still a long list, but I've not come across a better method yet.

The only other option is to look at the post in question, right after you've click 'post quick reply' and then click the #number that is on the same line as the date (brown b/g w/white text) as this is a link to that exact message, the browser will reload the link to the specific context of that message, and then you can add THAT to your browser bookmarks, which will have the thread title as the bookmark title, and then later you can search your own browser bookmarks for the relevant text.

The problem with this approach is that I find that I do not know how important something might be until months later when someone asks the same or a similar question in a new thread, and by then it's long gone from my memory what that old thread was called...and were it not already bookmarked, I have to revert to the above mentioned procedure of searching like you have done. ::sadface::

I think this is what you're asking. Go to the tool bar on top of the 1st posting and click on Thread Tools > select Unsubscribe from this thread . . .

Eternal Threads  tips on deleting posts.jpg

I think this is what you're asking. Go to the tool bar on top of the 1st posting and click on Thread Tools > select Unsubscribe from this thread . . .
OP, unsubscribe will do what you want, which is to stop showing you that there are new posts in a thread you've posted in.

Does anyone have any tips, like a secret advanced search or unique method, to find one's own posts on any "eternal thread"--those threads than go on for hundreds of posts, like Song Title Game, Seasonal Anticipation, etc.?
If you want to see your posts in a single thread, on the main page where it lists the # of replies in a thread, click on that #. That will give you a popup window with who posted in it in descending order of their total replies. From there you can just do the ctrl-F to search for your name. Then click on the # of posts you've made and it will show a list of all your posts in that thread.

OThanks, Pete. That one i knew.

Thank you, Booli, for the idea about adding tags. Like you said, I never know if the thread will become eternal up front (and if it looks eternal from the get-go, I deliberately no longer reply). Maybe I can use tags in some other way, though. Putting post number in tags is borderline genius.

Thank you, Kanaka, for your idea. I never knew about subscribing, so when I click Thread Tools, it asks me if I want to Subscribe. It must be different for the different ways people use the board. Perhaps a method I shoul learn, thanks

Thank you, Ubulele for your reply. I have tried various forms of searches unsuccessfully, but your idea seems more specific and good. Unfortunately, I don't understand it all enough to even try it. Lol. It's me, not you.

Itsme, thanks for pointing me to the clicking post numbers idea. I had no clue...and it solved my issue! I have deleted my post from ine eternal thread already, and, yes, the green marker is gonzo. ����. Thanks.
PS it sure is hard to delete then one at a time as, inSong Title Game, for instance, each time I get closer to one post and there are thousands with one post. Ctrl-F I should try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom