Wall hangers

Patchenu

Reaction score
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum so please move if needed. I also did a search but didn't find anything so I am posting this question. I want to get some of my ukes out of their cases and put them on the wall in my office but since I live in LA I am worried about earthquakes. I have a humidifier for the room so I am not worried about that issue. Has anyone used these hangers I found on Amazon? They seem to lock the instrument into place and is a good solution but they are pricey. I thought I would see what the forum thought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EEJGRK/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Fine if you've got money to burn ... for me, a cuphook and a length of cord around the machine heads works fine!

hanger.jpg

YMMV :music:

I live in Los Angeles and I also use cuphooks with a short leather strap around the tuning machines. I also put my ukes in a humidified display case I made out of a book shelf.

Shelf w Godin 1024.jpg
Shelf recent 2.jpg

I have several Hercules stands and the exact wall hanger that you have linked for my guitars. They are great, but they are rather excessive for a ukulele. I have never used one for any of my ukuleles. I am a minimalist, and for my ukes I use a wall screw eye and a rubber band. Like this. Easy, simple, about 25 cents per uke, never had one fall (not even my baritone uke or my $3000 ukes...lol). Here's a thread that I started a while back detailing my method. All of the replies suggesting potential issues from people who have never tried it, well, update: they were dead wrong. After all this time, not one casualty. I now use rubber bands rather than leather straps for ideal length. Not one dropped uke, not a single loose eye bolt, no wall damage (the eyes I use are so tiny that removing them hardly leaves a park on the wall). Going into the wall stud is completely unnecessary. I got the idea from RawUke on Youtube behind his playing videos (I'll try to find one).
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?84978-I-hung-my-Martin-sopranos

IMG_2131.jpg

Found it. Notice that RawUke uses a single finish nail. https://youtu.be/tYInCx-SQ48

Last edited:
I buy tool hangers from my local hardware/lumber yard for no more than a couple of dollars each that work like the zzsounds ones. They work great!

I buy tool hangers from my local hardware/lumber yard for no more than a couple of dollars each that work like the zzsounds ones. They work great!

You're right -- I'd forgotten about those. I use them in my basement office. But in my upstairs music room, where other people might be, I use the String Swing ones, because I have a reputation to uphold, you know? (insert laughing face or whatever)

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum so please move if needed. I also did a search but didn't find anything so I am posting this question. I want to get some of my ukes out of their cases and put them on the wall in my office but since I live in LA I am worried about earthquakes. I have a humidifier for the room so I am not worried about that issue. Has anyone used these hangers I found on Amazon? They seem to lock the instrument into place and is a good solution but they are pricey. I thought I would see what the forum thought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EEJGRK/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Patchen, that's basically what I have. The only difference being mine has a wood block that it's attached to, which is then attached to the wall. When you came over, that is what the three hanging ukes were on.

I like them a lot. I'm not worried about them falling out. I have thought about putting some cushion on the wall behind them. Were I to do it again, I would have mounted them a bit farther apart as I believe the biggest risk is them swinging into each other if we get a big shaker. Because of that, there are a couple of ukes that I will not hang. They stay in cases.

Patchen, that's basically what I have. The only difference being mine has a wood block that it's attached to, which is then attached to the wall. When you came over, that is what the three hanging ukes were on.

I like them a lot. I'm not worried about them falling out. I have thought about putting some cushion on the wall behind them. Were I to do it again, I would have mounted them a bit farther apart as I believe the biggest risk is them swinging into each other if we get a big shaker. Because of that, there are a couple of ukes that I will not hang. They stay in cases.

So something more like these? Are they this brand?
https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-GSP...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WKHTYYS8Z12FCM40S49H

I use a heavy nail driven into my lovely old plaster walls at a sharp angle, and heavy cotton clothesline, well knotted and wound in and out of the machine heads. I currently have two ukes and three parlor guitars hung this way. So far they've made it through all the rumblers and rollers of the last several years. A bigger one that would toss everything off the walls would make for higher priority problems than damaged ukes.

I use these on all of my ukuleles.http://www.ukulelehangers.com/ I don't hang them from the walls, but if I did, I would use one of these. The incredible thing is that you can watch the video on the site that shows you how he ties them. I mean, If you want to, make your own. But while I don't hang them on the wall, I hang them from my music stand, from tree branches, from my finger, from nails in the side of my work bench, I mean, they are great. I have never had one threaten to fall, and I've had them swinging in the wind, hanging from a palm tree on the beach many times.

:agree: I have used these for a few years now - never had any problems.

I have several Hercules stands and the exact wall hanger that you have linked for my guitars. They are great, but they are rather excessive for a ukulele. I have never used one for any of my ukuleles. I am a minimalist, and for my ukes I use a wall screw eye and a rubber band. Like this. Easy, simple, about 25 cents per uke, never had one fall (not even my baritone uke or my $3000 ukes...lol). Here's a thread that I started a while back detailing my method. All of the replies suggesting potential issues from people who have never tried it, well, update: they were dead wrong. After all this time, not one casualty. I now use rubber bands rather than leather straps for ideal length. Not one dropped uke, not a single loose eye bolt, no wall damage (the eyes I use are so tiny that removing them hardly leaves a park on the wall). Going into the wall stud is completely unnecessary. I got the idea from RawUke on Youtube behind his playing videos (I'll try to find one).
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?84978-I-hung-my-Martin-sopranos

View attachment 97197

Found it. Notice that RawUke uses a single finish nail.

I wouldn't use rubber bands. I've seen them deterioate with time and just go hard and crack.

It looks great! I'm thinking to make a cupboard for my herd, seriously. Just a pile of cases here now.
I live in Los Angeles and I also use cuphooks with a short leather strap around the tuning machines. I also put my ukes in a humidified display case I made out of a book shelf.

Shelf w Godin 1024.jpg
Shelf recent 2.jpg

I think some of the guitar hangers are too wide for ukulele heads.

I've seen some of the Hercules types of hangers made for ukuleles. With various types of "gates" to hold the instrument in the hanger.

Amazon & Ebay have leather straps about 6" long that have slits that fit over the top two tuner knobs and you put the top of the strap over a nail, peg, screw, hook, etc to hang the uke. Also works over hooks on a closet rod.

I bought a couple of Gravity GS 08 WMB wall hangers. They are sized for guitars, but as the jaws adjust to the width of the neck -- yes, by the force of gravity -- they do a good job in retaining my tenor ukes. Also, because the jaw length is sized for guitars, I have the option to keep the uke + strap a little distance away from the wall (so strap buckle doesn't ding the wall, and the wall doesn't ding the uke).

It also features a color-accent band that is interchangeable if you have specific interior-design requirements. One green and one black band is included in the retail box.

I'm happy with this so far!

Top Bottom