Lohanu brand ukes

Mahalo Mike

Reaction score
During my research of ukes, I came across Amazon dotcom's webpage which displayed a Lohanu concert uke. There were over 300 verified purchaser reviews of 5* (28 pages of 5* reviews!), overall review rating was 4.8*. The seller's reviews rated 100%. So with Amazon's great return policy in mind, not to mention my "Prime" membership, I ordered it. BTW, it was a "bundled" deal, including a protective (but not padded) gig bag, a strap (strap pins already installed), a couple of picks with pick holder, a tuner, and access to instructional videos, etc.

It arrived, and having some familiarity with CF Martin,Taylor and Fender "axes", and by utilizing YouTube, I was playing uke in no time.

The action is very good, as is the intonation, volume, sustain and build
quality. I was so thrilled with it, that very soon after it had arrived, I had the tenor model in my hands. These instruments are little gems, and at less than $100 each, they're not much more than a serious diatonic harp (harmonica).

Check it out - I felt that I had nothing to lose when I first ordered the Lohanu, now I feel that my small investment was very well worthwhile.

Thanks for sharing and for the info.

Do you have a link to the actual instruments on Amazon? It would help to find them amongst the trillion products they sell for anyone else who would like to try one of these ukes or see what their details are.

Mahalo, from Booli :)

Looks like ones I've seen on ebay with a different brand name on it directly from China. Lohanu is but another name for them. They start under $30 and some sellers include accessories at about half of what Amazon wants, which is often the case.

Last edited:
Logan's has some diffrences

Looks like ones I've seen on ebay with a different brand name on it directly from China. Lohanu is but another name for them. They start under $30 without the accessories.

The cheaper Chinese ukes are not a fair comparison, none of them for example have arched backs.

The cheaper Chinese ukes are not a fair comparison, none of them for example have arched backs.

Sorry, you're wrong.......I just got a KAKA KUC-70 acacia concert with an arched back and a slotted head stock and a nice bag for $35. Amazing uke for the money. Amazon wants $115

Last edited:
That does seem like a lot for $35! While I do hope that uke is fun to play and is bringing much joy, I would personally think twice about buying a Kaka. Here is Barry's thorough review: http://www.gotaukulele.com/2016/10/kaka-kus-25d-soprano-review.html?m=1

Those Lohanus do have a lot of high marks from people though.

*Not dissing sub $50 ukes in general; I really like my Makala Shark (after setup).

Last edited:
I have a concert Lohanu, and am a total beginner. Got it for Christmas and learning via youtube and having so much fun. It was a little over $100 Canadian with the bag and tuner, spare set of strings, a few picks which I will probably never use. I love it ! I am very happy with my progress and playing along with some songs on youtube. Maybe in time as I get much better at playing I will want a different uke, but right now I am very happy with it. Also, the company is Canadian based (me too:) although the ukes are made in China, like so many things today. They have a lifetime warranty. Their service is excellent, from reviews I have read.

I am ALWAYS dubious of any Amazon product that is so filled with 5 star reviews. There are some dodgy schemes out there to harvest reviews, and also bear in mind a lot of people reviewing a cheap uke are probably reviewing their first ever and have nothing to gauge it by.

Personally - I thought the Lohanu was very middle of the road. Not terrible, but not great either. And some of their marketing speak really irritates me.

Lohanu is a combination of 3 words: Love (Represents first 2 letters of Lohanu), Ohana (Hawaiian word for Family and Community) Unity (Represents last 2 letters of Lohanu backwards) Experience The Sounds Of Love & Unity For Your Home & Community Through Lohanu Ukulele!

The making up a Hawaiian sounding word leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. They appear to have a real nice looking splated maple tenor with armrest on amazon for like $160.

This one of tbose brands like we read about a few weeks ago, where you just pay the Chinese factory to put your name on it?

Lohanu is a combination of 3 words: Love (Represents first 2 letters of Lohanu), Ohana (Hawaiian word for Family and Community) Unity (Represents last 2 letters of Lohanu backwards) Experience The Sounds Of Love & Unity For Your Home & Community Through Lohanu Ukulele!

The making up a Hawaiian sounding word leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. They appear to have a real nice looking splated maple tenor with armrest on amazon for like $160.

This one of tbose brands like we read about a few weeks ago, where you just pay the Chinese factory to put your name on it?

Agree, what a load of garbage! more likely it was- let's come up with a Hawaiian sounding name, then try to make up some glossy marketing rationale for it. add one more A (a lohanu) and you have the anagram "unaloha"... LOL

Agree, what a load of garbage! more likely it was- let's come up with a Hawaiian sounding name, then try to make up some glossy marketing rationale for it. add one more A (a lohanu) and you have the anagram "unaloha"... LOL
Yep - cultural appropriation. There's a lot of it about in the uke world. Tribal tattoo etchings, Chinese companies branding with Hawaiian sounding names that come in boxes with hula girls and tropical flowers all over them. Ugh.

Top Bottom