Why are Aquila C strings red?

Staredge

Reaction score
Both sets I've not from my local shop have been white, with red C strings (High and low C). I've never seen any other ukulele strung this way, even when they come with Aquila.

High and low C? I've never heard of a high C before. Do you mean G?

To answer your question, I don't know. It sounds a bit odd...

Here's what I found when researching these strings:
Aquila adds red copper powder to increase the density of the string to almost twice as much as standard white Nylgut. This results in a stiffer string capable of lower tunings, less breakage and better intonation. Filing of the nut slot may be required.

High and low C? I've never heard of a high C before. Do you mean G?

Indeed, I did. :eek:

Here's what I found when researching these strings:
Aquila adds red copper powder to increase the density of the string to almost twice as much as standard white Nylgut. This results in a stiffer string capable of lower tunings, less breakage and better intonation. Filing of the nut slot may be required.

Hmm. Are those the Reds? I'm buying the plain Aquilas, and only the C is red. The other 3 are white. Wonder why they'd use one for just the C.

When I have bought Aquila Nygut strings they have even all white. I have also bought the red sets and the lava sets which were red and black respectively. If you buy reentrant sets the C string is the largest so maybe they are putting a red C string in to bring the diameter down, but I have never heard of this. Might be a good idea though.

I apologize in advance if this is too grim, but...

I was once told that these Aquila C strings are red because when music angels are slaughtered, their blood is recycled into the strings, and that is what gives them a unique sound and texture.

Of course I took that explanation with a grain of salt.

Aquila sells sets with a red Low G, not sure about a red High G?! You can buy the regular Aquila Nylguts and Super Nylguts with all white strings. Sounds like you're just buying the wrong sets of strings, if you don't want a red G string...

maybe Mimmo will chime in...

Then I found this on Aquila's website.

IMG_7524.jpg

I don't mind it, I just found it curious in that I've never seen anyone else's strung like that. I thought maybe that the first set was just a fluke, but when I bought the other set and it was the same way :confused:

Hi there,
I have to do a few explanation. :)
The aquila set with one red in the C note is a special set.
In practice it is similar to the set that has a wound alluminium strings as C note 3rd.
This red string, in practice, replace this wound string: the sound is better and grant a transiction anf your fingers do not became black coloured as always happen with these alluminium wires.
Please, note that the technology of a red C 3rd has nothing to do with the low G 4th reds.
In this case these low G reds has a lot of copper powder inside and so it can be a problem when there are sharp edges around on nuts and pegs
take care
Mimmo

Last edited:
Hey Mimmo, aren't the reds red because that was the color of "catgut" strings? I totally get the copper explanation.....

As always I love that mimmo, the actual owner / creator of Aquila strings, answers posts here on UU! Thanks for the info/ answer!

Top Bottom